• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help finding a Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A (1 Viewer)

Matt Natoli

Hello,

I recently had a chance to view thru a gentleman's Nikon ED 82a with the 25-75x eyepiece. I was extremely impressed with this spotting scope. I was using my Swarovski 20-60-65 ATS non HD and the Nikon was far superior. After using the Nikon I decided to sell my Swarovski and now I'm searching for a mint Nikon. Specifically, I'm looking for the 82a with the 25-75x eyepiece and stay on Vue-Thru case. My 16 year old daughter and I enjoy watching the birds in our area and I hope to find the Nikon for us. Any help in locating one would be much appreciated. My friend pointed me to this forum and I have spent the last week or so reading some excellent posts. Hopefully someone will reply with information of where I could purchase the Nikon.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

The ED82a is hard to find. There are a few straight models still advertized new online but they are priced at $1899! They come up now and then on eBay, B&H photo used dept., and SWFA sample list.
I got my ED82a from the sample list for $999. A straight version recently was in the used section at B&H at $899 it sold in 48hrs.
A local store here in Seattle has both a straight and angled version for sale. They are both Refurbished units there price is $1,180. One has the 25-75 zoom the other has a 30x wide DS eyepiece.
If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend the 30x wide angle eyepiece though I prefer the MC version for normal viewing. Once you try the wide angle ep's it's hard to go back to the zoom. The big FOV and clean crisp image make for very nice easy viewing.
Also if you can live with a 60mm I have a ED fieldscope III available for a great deal. Best of luck on your Quest your gonna be happy with the Fieldscope ED line no matter which model!!

BigWok,

Thanks for the reply. Could you PM me the name of the shop in Seattle who has the refurbished ones? I would be very interested in calling them to see if they are still available.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

A big THANK YOU to BigWok!!

I was able to purchase a factory Nikon Refurbished ED82a :)

Now the search for a 25-75x zoom eyepiece.

Thanks to all how PM'd me

Matt

A big THANK YOU to BigWok!!

I was able to purchase a factory Nikon Refurbished ED82a :)

Now the search for a 25-75x zoom eyepiece.

Thanks to all how PM'd me

Matt

Great News Matt!!
Sent you another PM on the eyepieces. Now I'm gonna walk over to the shop after work and tell them they owe me commission on the sale. 3:)

Amazon has the 25-75 eyepiece.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FJH1IA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Be careful, amazon lists the expensive offer first and this lower-priced zoom listing can be hard to find.

ED82 scopes come and go. I hope mine lasts forever because we also have the excellent ED50 and a bunch of lenses.

I've been using the ED50 everyday during the past week and I'm truly amazed at its performance. ED82A performance is well known and much loved. I guess it makes sense both models are discontinued!:-C

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back