• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a reason for why owls move their heads in circles? (1 Viewer)

bphoebe27

Svalberd
I recently watched a few videos of some Barn Owls, and got the impression that they were continually moving their heads in half and full circles, stretching their neck forward while doing so. Since I am quite a beginner, I thought I might ask you veterans.

I recently watched a few videos of some Barn Owls, and got the impression that they were continually moving their heads in half and full circles, stretching their neck forward while doing so. Since I am quite a beginner, I thought I might ask you veterans.

Most owls have very large eyes which fit so tightly in their sockets as to render them immobile. As a consequence, in order to get a proper fix on what they're looking at they can't just roll the eyes in the sockets but have to move the whole head.

Also, they rely on their hearing to find prey, often in the dark, and need to get a precise location before pouncing. Think of Great Grey Owls locating prey under snow. Amazing.

Yes. I believe their ears are offset to each other and they can get a very accurate fix on the location of a suitable noise - hence the moving around.

Yes. I believe their ears are offset to each other and they can get a very accurate fix on the location of a suitable noise - hence the moving around.

Remember reading about someone who made the mistake of making mouse-like squeaking noises at night in owl habitat (hoping to see one), and ended up with an owl's talons locked on his lips :eek!:

Remember reading about someone who made the mistake of making mouse-like squeaking noises at night in owl habitat (hoping to see one), and ended up with an owl's talons locked on his lips :eek!:

... A few years ago I very nearly got taken out by a (presumably) Long-eared Owl on Corsica whilst I was eating crackers in the pitch dark ...

... massive rush of wings around my head as it aborted at the last second, so I can totally believe it! :eat:

:gn:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back