• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Creeper giving it some ''welly'' (1 Viewer)

KenM

Tree Creeper is a bird although having been seen many times over the years, has to my eyes been fairly consistent with it's behaviour (when you can find them...although not always guaranteed), ie ''mousing'' up trunks and along branches, normally disappearing around ''limbs'' and out of sight of the observer before morphing into the depths of the wood. Earlier on this week I came across this relatively confiding bird...which kinda surprised me with it's ''hacking'' technique, that would have done a small woodpecker proud. :eek!:

cheers

https://youtu.be/qFkElnmvEHU

Indeed! I have never seen a Creeper do this. I have seen them work their way up a tree stealing tidbits stored by my Nuthatches though.

You're right Ken. It would make a Woodie proud ;)

I get Treecreeper at my feeders some winters - and then they really behave quite unlike what I expect from Treecreepers. Not only do they 'hammer' at food wedged into bark (bits of fat) similar to this bird in the video, but they also hop about on the snow on the ground picking up scraps from below the feeders and on rarer occasion even go onto the peanut feeders, which really looks weird.

Here's one on the snow...

Attachments

• Treecreeper lab 1.jpg
    Treecreeper lab 1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 69
Many years ago on a sultry Summer afternoon, I witnessed a small bird dart out from behind an ancient oak tree and flycatch, as would befit any Spot/Pied before returning to said tree....It was then I realised that it was Treeper!

Just when you think you know it all!.....something brings you down to earth with a bump! :t:

great footage. Love to see birds doing strange stuff. Also when watching this saw some old video footage of yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQ8rOZHN4c

If anyone hasn't seen this Sprawk cooling off its a great bit of filming of more strange avain behaviour. Funny there were no pigeons around the fountain for some reason.3:)

Thanks Paul..strolling through the Inns of Court on the day (early May), and seeing this Sprawk just glide down from a tall tree, landing at the fountain, jaw dropped me! Thus crouched down behind parked car...It was an opportunity too good to miss. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back