• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, (1 Viewer)

vird

Concerned for a stray Common Swift

Hi I just need some questions answered.

Today, a common swift fell to my foot. Afraid it'd get run over by shopping carts(I was outside a mall) or cars, I cradled it home. It's about 3 inches long, face like a falcon, blue lustered feathers, spread wings like anchor, and hooked beak. I thought it was a swallow at first but it was too small to be one. Had no way of telling if it's a male or female

In the car, I tried settling it down on a pillow but it won't let go of my ring so it was on my palm the whole ride. Its eyes are closed the whole time except when we ran over some bumps or when I adjust my arms, it'd look around and at me then it'd close its eyes again. It doesn't seem to have any injuries, no visible blood nor open wounds, wings don't seem to be broken but the bird looks lethargic.

Got home and tried settle it down on our table but it flew around the house. Afraid I'd break its wings if I try to catch it, I opened all the doors and it flew outside.

Read that common swifts stay airborne their entire life so this has really concerned me. What could be the cause of its unexpected landing? Will it be okay?

Our village has a lot of mayas, seen quite a few fairly large birds. bats are common here, lots of stray cats too, 2-5 trees each house.

I am also worried because the mayas outside our house are acting strange, they're all over the place. Would they have any reason to act hostile towards this bird?

Last edited:
Hi vird and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thank you so much for your concern about this unfortunate bird that you found. It is possible that he was stunned after crashing into a glass window and needed a little while to recover. In which case he was very fortunate, not only that you cared for him, but many birds break their necks and die.

I don't know what the species is that you call "mayas", but there are some birds of prey, that are fast enough to catch swifts.

Indeed, the information you have is correct, the swifts do not land once they have left the nest, the get all their food and nest material in the air.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi vird, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join us.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back