• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best House/Garden ticks (1 Viewer)

Common Rosefinch, Melodious & Wood Warblers, Pied Fly, both redstarts and Firecrest in it.....Stone-Curlew & Honey Buzzard over it

In it Black Redstart, over it Honey Buzz, Marsh Harrier, Black-tailed Godwit, Snipe, dad has also seen 2 Bee-eaters and a Pallid Swift (swift not accepted by BBRC cos he only saw its underside but it hung around for about five mins so he got good view). In my dads old garden when he was teenager they had Pied Fly, Redstart, Kingfisher, Sedge and Reed Warblers and Melodious Warbler

In it - not so good: waxwing, redstart, pink-footed goose(!), tree sparrow, brambling.
From it - well documented on BF. 159 spp including lesser yellowlegs, American golden plover, green-winged teal, white-winged black tern, snow goose, long-tailed skua, Sabine's gull, honey buzzard, little egret, avocet, curlew sandpiper, little stint, jack snipe, Mediterranean gull, garganey, smew, water pipit, long- and short-eared owl ...

Rob

Almost nothing comes in my 20 X40 foot bit of gravel with pots and a buddleia (well, the buddleia has had White Admiral, and up to five Hummingbird Hawk-moths at once), but over the top:

Black Kite, Honey Buzzard, Peregrine, Merlin, Hobby, Little Egret, Woodcock: in the willows behind it Yellow-browed Warbler.

For the middle of Farnborough, Hampshire its not too bad.

John

forgot to mention Common Crane last december when we had a good passage of them...Great bird to see from my roof

In it Siberian Rubythroat and Cetti's warbler best flyover probably Long Tailed Skua.

Were you the sibe rubythroat guy! I heard about that on birdguides one day, I thought whoever had found that would still be skipping with glee to much to write anything on BF!!

In it - not so good: waxwing, redstart, pink-footed goose(!), tree sparrow, brambling.
From it - well documented on BF. 159 spp including lesser yellowlegs, American golden plover, green-winged teal, white-winged black tern, snow goose, long-tailed skua, Sabine's gull, honey buzzard, little egret, avocet, curlew sandpiper, little stint, jack snipe, Mediterranean gull, garganey, smew, water pipit, long- and short-eared owl ...

Rob

were the hell is your garden!! when I'm older and have enough money I am moving nextdoor!

Were you the sibe rubythroat guy! I heard about that on birdguides one day, I thought whoever had found that would still be skipping with glee to much to write anything on BF!!

It was I and i was rather chuffed to say the least, its still a bit of a sore topic amongst some birders which is understandable.

If you saw my garden you wouldnt believe its produced some of the birds it has there's nothing extraordinary about it at all.Next door is probably a better garden(all my good birds have been in there aswell) but luckily i can see into it easily.

Ooh, had nearly 20 addresses, but perhaps some of the highlights I've had from the house would be:

Wolverhampton - Waxwing, Oystercatcher, Redpolls and a Meadow Pipit (in the garden).
Aberystwyth - Med Gull, Bottle-nosed Dolphin. (Surprisingly very little from any of my addresses in the town).
Montbéliard - White Stork, Short-eared Owl.
Besançon - Wallcreeper, Black Woodpecker, Hawfinch, Red Kite.

I don't really have a yard but I do have a "perched in the mahogany tree in front of my balcony list." :)

Best/good birds: Sharp-shinned Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, Short-tailed Hawk, Barn Owl (resident), Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Black-throated Green Warbler, Ovenbird, Indigo Bunting

Carlos

Goldcrest is my most unusual garden bird. It sounds rubbish compared to some of the lists here, but its all about personal triumphs!

Last edited:
At my parent's house as I grew up, all three woodpeckers with Lesser Sopt being a lifer. Also regular Willow Tit and Spotted Fly back then plus Redstart - Leeds suburb.

When I lived in a Bradford suburb a Ring Ouzel wintered from January to March.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back