• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What cats have you seen? (1 Viewer)

Lion (India, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Cheetah (Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Leopard (Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Caracal (Botswana)
Serval (Kenya)
Genet (Kenya)
Tiger (India)

A trip to the Pantanal is on my wish list and hope to see a Jaguar then.

Lion (India, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Cheetah (Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Leopard (Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana)
Caracal (Botswana)
Serval (Kenya)
Genet (Kenya)
Tiger (India)

A trip to the Pantanal is on my wish list and hope to see a Jaguar then.

Very impressive list, but genet isn't an actual cat. Very jealous of your Caracal, Serval and Asiatic Lion.

Just one! Bobcat. My few sightings have all been at random times and places throughout the midwest.

None of my travels throughout the Neotropics have produced any of the cats... yet.

It's possibly another thread but I wonder what cats could be considered 'twitchable' i.e. you could go to a certain site and have a 'reasonable' chance of seeing one. I'm keen to get as many as possible but, after going for jaguar next year, I think I'm really going to struggle to get new ones. (Mind you if I dip jaguar I can just try for that again) Of course there is usually lots of other things to look for. So I suspect I'll go to somewhere where there is a slim chance of bobcat and convince myself I'm really there for the birds.

hhhmm...twitchable cats other than species you have seen would Jaguar (Pantanal) and Mountain Lion (Chile). There are trips to target Snow Leopard, but those are hardly guaranteed. Bobcat has already been mentioned here. With effort I am sure one could find one in South Texas.

Torres Del Paine National Park (perhaps misspelled, but close enough). I think Naturetreks and Wild Journeys do tours targeting that Park, and Jon Hall has also seen them there I believe.

Lion (Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana, South Africa)
Leopard (Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa)
Caracal (South Africa)
Serval (Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe)
African Wild Cat (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana)
Cheetah (Namibia, South Africa)

Not such a great variety! But I've seen lots of 'em, with the exception of Caracal and Serval, which take a bit of finding.
Dave

Last edited:
It's possibly another thread but I wonder what cats could be considered 'twitchable' i.e. you could go to a certain site and have a 'reasonable' chance of seeing one. I'm keen to get as many as possible but, after going for jaguar next year, I think I'm really going to struggle to get new ones. (Mind you if I dip jaguar I can just try for that again) Of course there is usually lots of other things to look for. So I suspect I'll go to somewhere where there is a slim chance of bobcat and convince myself I'm really there for the birds.

The Marin Headlands just north of San Francisco are the best place i know of for bobcats. I've seen them in various other places along the coast, but I'd say I've seen a bobcat (or 2) on about 50% of my trips to the headlands.
I've even gotten to see them hunting , one I saw snatch a rabbit, another time one grabbed a gopher.

It's also a good place to see and hear coyotes, and I know someone who's seen a mountain lion there, but I've never seen one myself.

Mine is shocking!

1. Leopard
2. Iberian Lynx

Saw a wild cat once, but it was only a rather annoyed, spotlit, f. offski not f. sylvestris

Missed Temmink's Golden Cat on a China trip :-C

Fingers crossed to put a few more on shortly...

The Marin Headlands just north of San Francisco are the best place i know of for bobcats. I've seen them in various other places along the coast, but I'd say I've seen a bobcat (or 2) on about 50% of my trips to the headlands.
I've even gotten to see them hunting , one I saw snatch a rabbit, another time one grabbed a gopher.

It's also a good place to see and hear coyotes, and I know someone who's seen a mountain lion there, but I've never seen one myself.

Sounds like this may be well be a place for a future trip. Thanks for the info.

A mere eight species, but a fair few individuals, as follows:

Puma (Mexico and Brazil, where seen in the following states: Rio de Janeiro, Espírito Santo and Pará)

Jaguarundi (Brazil, in Espírito Santo, Mato Grosso, São Paulo and Tocantins)

Ocelot (Mato Grosso, Brazil)

Oncilla (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

Cheetah (Kenya)

Leopard (Israel and Kenya)

Lion (Kenya)

Jaguar (spotty ones in the Pantanal, and a black one in Pará, Brazil)

Plus another one dead, Geoffroy's Cat, in Goiás, Brazil!

Plus one missed, Eurasian Lynx in Turkey; seen by my mate on practically his first day in the country, after I'd spent two years there!

Never seem to have lucked into a Margay.

Just saw this one too, shame I can't count it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11586279

Last edited:
My daughter's seen five: lion, leopard, African wildcat, caracal and cheetah and she is five. Not a bad cat ticks: age ratio and she can remember and identify all of them.

Just added Cheetah in South Africa on a Naturetrek bargain mammals trip.

23 Lions
4 Leopards
2 Cheetahs

also both Large and Small Spotted Genets in the often-mistaken-for-cats category.

John

I'm currently travelling in India - added Snow Leopard and Lynx in Ladakh a couple of weeks ago. Had to work hard for them!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back