• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uni-Loc Tripods (1 Viewer)

helenol

Does anyone use a uniloc tripod with a scope?

I have a Velbon D700, which is ok, but rather heavy! Popped into Jessops yesterday and the guy suggested I take a look at the Uni-Loc range.

It wouldn't be used for digiscoping, only for the scope (Zeiss 85).

Thanks.

I am thinking of getting the Velbon DV7000 which is the D700 replacement, as you say they are heavy but very sturdy. The only UNi=loc I have seen have been rather flimsy unless Jessops to an upmarket model.

Helen
I've got a Uniloc that I use for general photography. If its the same one that you were looking at, then I would have thought it would not be suitable for the 'scope. Mine is tightened by a locking handle and releasing it lets all the legs and the centre column move. It looks a bit like a set of demented bagpipes. As all the legs move independently, you can get the head into almost any position, which is useful if you are trying to photograph a flower, for example. Its aldo quite heavy and bulky, not want you really want!

Hope this helps.

AndyC

Oh dear, it doesn't sound too good for my needs then Andy! Thanks for that. I hadn't seen one, it was just that the guy was recommending them, (I mentioned it was only to be used with a scope).

Ah well, I guess I'll carry on using my Velbon for the forseeable future. Since my other half solved the problem of the wobbling scope, it has been just fine.

Snappy - Yes, they are indeed sturdy. I just don't fancy taking it out into the field and walking for zillions of miles with it!

Thanks again.

I have a similar tripod, an older model Benbo. I will echo the comments regarding the general tendency for legs to flop everywhere if one isn't vigilant (practice helps a LOT with these models). This type of tripod is wonderful for botanical photography, as you can position the tripod in an almost unlimited number of ways. But for a scope I see no real advantage, and the potential for considerable frustration.

Helen,
I've used the Uniloc 1700 System Tripod for both my general natural history photography and also for the more 'static' type of scope use i.e hide or staging for several years, and as Andy has pointed out they can get some getting used to....'demented bagpipes....Ha Ha'.

Having said that there is a vast range for you to check out on the Warehouse Express site (I don't work for them !) and the lightest 1600 System might prove suitable.

They are of superb quality and made to last, and they can even be converted for sitting while using your scope. Vastly underated, do seriously consider them, oh you may well remember similar in another disguise called Benbo, another favourite with nature snappers.

Hope this helps,

Bill.

helenol said:
Snappy - Yes, they are indeed sturdy. I just don't fancy taking it out into the field and walking for zillions of miles with it!

Thanks again.

You could always put castors on it Helen ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back