• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D5 and D500 (1 Viewer)

JPAC

New cameras announced today. :t:

D500 DX http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html UK price £1,729

20.9MP DX format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor
Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus sensor with 153/99 AF points
ISO range of 100-51,200 expandable to Lo 1 and Hi 5 (50 – 1,640,000 equivalent)
Share images instanly with built-in SnapBridge (Wi-Fi® + Bluetooth) capabilities
Shoot cinematic 4K UHD video
Dual card slots - XQD and SD media

===

D5 FX http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d5.html UK price £5,199

New 20.8MP FX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED 5 image processing
Widest native ISO range ever in a Nikon full-frame DSLR: ISO 100 to 102,400 (expandable to Hi-5, ISO 3,280,000)
Redesigned AF system with a 153 focus points, 99 cross-type sensors and a dedicated processor
4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video recording and pro-grade video features
12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance; up to 200 shots in a single burst

===

Nikon SB-5000 Speedlight Flashgun £499,

Last edited:
From the very little I've read so far, I probably want a D500 (as long as the Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 50-500 are compatible with it), though I don't really 'need' one......not that that has ever stopped me before.

EDIT: Having read the specs etc, I'm more tempted but will wait to see the price (and read reviews).

Last edited:
holy cow,
at last a D400...eh 500...
and no popup-flash!
glad I didn't buy the D7200...
:t:

That's just what I thought. I reckon I'll just keep on using my old D200 for some time, until it's clear the D500 works as expected and there are no hidden problems.

But it sure looks like a very interesting camera. Used in combination with the 200-500 zoom that might be a killer combination.

Hermann

That's just what I thought. I reckon I'll just keep on using my old D200 for some time, until it's clear the D500 works as expected and there are no hidden problems.

But it sure looks like a very interesting camera. Used in combination with the 200-500 zoom that might be a killer combination.

Hermann

yep, same AF specs and image processor as in the D5, so no compromises there,
It's not available until March so I hope Nikon gets it right this time

D500 -- Yeah Baby !! :t: Woot Woo !!

So the D400 has finally been born after an elephant shading gestation! Looks like most of the wishlist has been fulfilled .....

Not too sure why the slight drop in resolution of the sensor compared to the D7200, but it will be interesting to see what the IQ of this new one turns out to be like. Thankfully for me the 1.3x in-camera crop has been retained, as I use it a lot.

Can't wait for the production models to start hitting the shelves and in-hand reviews!

Chosun :gh:

What interests me if its compatible with the Tamron 150-600 is the improved focus ability,you would have 37 focus points able to work at f6,3 with 25 of them the more sensitive cross sensor,thats a lot better than my D7200.

It also does 10fps, should be of interest to some. And a nice, big buffer
Touch-sensitive tiltable screen too. (What? Boo, hiss?)
More than a match for the 7Dii, availble March, rrp $1999

I pre-ordered a D500 pretty much right away as well. ...Rolling the dice and crossing my fingers that Nikon will not botch yet another new camera right out of the gate somehow... My D7100 will be sold/traded. My D7200 will become my back-up body (very capable still). I must say I'm pretty excited about quite a number of features on the D500, including the following

• totally new AF system - 153-points with with 99 cross-sensors out to the very right/left edges of the frame!
  • 10 fps with an incredibly deep buffer (depending on your memory card)
  • related to the above, XQD memory cards (those will be expensive, huh?)
  • totally new sensor, Nikon says "unprecedented image quality in the high-sensitivity range between ISO 3200 and 12800" Jeeze I almost never use this ISO range today! I'm not very concerned at all about the slight drop in resolution compared to the D7200. Measured as vertical pixels lost, it is almost negligible, plus if the image quality "per pixel" is better (which is likely), the D500 might still offer better real world resolution - I think this is what D8XX owners have been telling us for ages...
  • the Snap Bridge thing, Bluetooth & WiFi (I hope the iPhone app offers better remote control of the camera - maybe over greater range?)
  • pro build equal to the D810
  • several "pro" features like the AF ON button (this was never a big deal for me, but maybe I will finally start using it), illuminated buttons (woah... now we can get up in the middle of the night and go out on location and see the camera controls better while we freeze in the dark...), dedicated ISO button on top, function button on back, etc.
  • Just a little thing, but I will appreciate the upgraded circular view finder... I think I will add the DK-17M magnifier and maybe the DK-19 eyecup
  • LCD has 2.4 million dots (D7200 has 1.2 million)
  • tilting LCD (I won't use it for bird photography but for other stuff occasionally yes)
  • touch screen controls (may be nice occasionally, things like pinching/stretching to zoom will apparently be possible, immediately selecting the focus point, etc.)
  • 4K video - apparently with some significant limitations related to cropping and maximum recording time... I'm not really into video much (yet)
  • same EN-EL15 batteries I already use on my D7200/D7100
  • auto AF-fine tune - it will be interesting whether this automatically finds the same best adjustment compared to my long & tedious current method.
Dave

Last edited:
don't forget the ergonomy, will most likely be much better in the D500 (than d7200)
deeper grip, dedicated AF-On and joystick for selecting focus points seem to be in the right spot,
21 MP seems like a perfect balance between resolution and speed.

Will be interesting to see the DXOMark for the D500.
DXOs Sports/Low Light ISO figures for the competition:
D7200 - 1330
D4S - 3074
7D Mark II - 1082

Could we hope for ISO 2600, a full stop better than the D7200?

when it comes to the D500 spec,
I miss nothing.
Just wonder what to do with all my now useless
compact flash cards..
:smoke:

Last edited:
This thread is titled D5 and D500, but I think the discussion on this forum is mostly going center on the D500...

As usual, Nasim on Photography Life has offered some helpful information on the D500. He posted this link to Nikon's "D500 Technology Digest" document (this link may not work forever):
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Also this nice comparison between the D500 and D7200:
https://photographylife.com/nikon-d500-vs-d7200

By the way, Nikon sure kept the D500 release a secret, didn't they? Nikon Rumors was pretty much useless with no clue unless I missed it... I think Brad Hill posted a rumor around Christmas, but even he did not believe it... So congratulations, Nikon, you fooled us all and really kept a tight lid on it! I bet you're really happy about that, keeping us guessing for years, right up to the very end! |:S|... And by the way Brad Hill today posted some interesting early thoughts about both D5 and D500 in his blog.

Dave

PS. Sorry to ignore you Vespobuteo. Yes, the ergonomic differences are big, as noted in Nasim's comparison. I was not even aware of a "joystick" until you mentioned it, so I have no idea how much I will like it... Brad Hill speculates on the ISO improvement, "guessing" that regardless of what Nikon claims, he expects the usable ISO limit for him might be about 3200, give or take depending on the scene.

Last edited:
Have read the auto focus fine tune only works with Nikon lenses,ok but i hope its not the only af fine tune it has,loads of us dont use Nikon lenses.

Have read the auto focus fine tune only works with Nikon lenses,ok but i hope its not the only af fine tune it has,loads of us dont use Nikon lenses.

Yes and even on my Nikon glass, I'm not sure I trust Nikon to automatically find the perfect setting... I'd be surprised if they took away the ability to set it manually, but I don't know.

Dave

This thread is titled D5 and D500, but I think the discussion on this forum is mostly going center on the D500...

As usual, Nasim on Photography Life has offered some helpful information on the D500. He posted this link to Nikon's "D500 Technology Digest" document (this link may not work forever):
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Also this nice comparison between the D500 and D7200:
https://photographylife.com/nikon-d500-vs-d7200

By the way, Nikon sure kept the D500 release a secret, didn't they? Nikon Rumors was pretty much useless with no clue unless I missed it... I think Brad Hill posted a rumor around Christmas, but even he did not believe it... So congratulations, Nikon, you fooled us all and really kept a tight lid on it! I bet you're really happy about that, keeping us guessing for years, right up to the very end! |:S|... And by the way Brad Hill today posted some interesting early thoughts about both D5 and D500 in his blog.

Dave

PS. Sorry to ignore you Vespobuteo. Yes, the ergonomic differences are big, as noted in Nasim's comparison. I was not even aware of a "joystick" until you mentioned it, so I have no idea how much I will like it... Brad Hill speculates on the ISO improvement, "guessing" that regardless of what Nikon claims, he expects the usable ISO limit for him might be about 3200, give or take depending on the scene.

The secret was so well kept that I have been thinking about migrating to micro four thirds and getting a E-M1 and the new 100-400mm Leica. Think it will be a cool combo for walk-around bird photo and documentation.

IMO 10 stops of DR is the lower limit of what is acceptable for a given ISO value,
The D300S was ok up to ISO 400,
D7200 up to ISO 1600.

matches pretty good what is seen under measurements -> dynamic range at DXOmark:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...s-Nikon-D4s-versus-Nikon-D300s___1020_945_614

So 10 stops DR at ISO 3200 seems quite possible for the D500.

Brad Hill speculates on the ISO improvement, "guessing" that regardless of what Nikon claims, he expects the usable ISO limit for him might be about 3200, give or take depending on the scene.

As he wrote somewhere in his blog that for him the highest usable ISO of the D7200 is 1600 or slightly lower, the D500 would have a full stop over the D7200.

Hermann

It will be interesting to see how much the high ISO performance improves with the new sensor with larger pixels and new EXPEED 5 image processing... I think Nikon is probably over-hyping it. An improvement will be nice, but better high ISO performance isn't the most important thing to me personally because (1) I get a lot of sunny days where I live and my best and most satisfying images usually happen in better light anyway; (2) I often use flash to supplement natural light; and (3) I think the D7200 is already pretty good. I'd be very happy with from 2/3 to 1 full stop improvement over the D7200.

Nikon Rumors posted a long 17 page "Q&A" document about the D500 that presumably has the official Nikon-approved answers to quite a few questions. I don't think the content is "internal" or "confidential" but apparently Nikon did not want the entire document leaked like this. Note that it is much easier to read the document if you click on it so that it opens at full resolution.

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/n...ed-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/

Lots of useless answers, but there are some interesting details too, for example it says the range of SnapBridge is about ~10 meters. That could be useful when you want to set up for remote-controlling your camera pointed at a nest or a bird's favorite perch, etc. I've always wanted to try this someday.

The D500 is expensive, but it looks like a very worthwhile upgrade to me, especially if you take everything all together. I'm a little nervous until we find out if there are any significant problems with the very first units sold, but as long as the D500 is everything I hope, I may sort of recommit to the Nikon platform. I might finally get my first full frame Nikon body to compliment the D500... Maybe after the D810 successor is announced I could pick up a used D810... Hmmm...

Dave

Last edited:
Nikon Rumors posted a long 17 page "Q&A" document about the D500 that presumably has the official Nikon-approved answers to quite a few questions. I don't think the content is "internal" or "confidential" but apparently Nikon did not want the entire document leaked like this. Note that it is much easier to read the document if you click on it so that it opens at full resolution.

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/n...ed-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/

Lots of useless answers, but there are some interesting details too,

Dave

Interesting Q&A,
have been wondering about the used materials in D500,
so it's not a solid magnesium housing,
rather than a carbon reinforced polymer with magnesium parts.
wi-fi will work better I guess with some "plastics" in the body.
But still stronger than D300s nikon tell us,
so no worries I guess.

Can't wait to get my hands on a D500.
B :)

Re the D5
An interesting announcement from Nikon. The faster burst speed of is attractive for bird photographers, although I take the autofocus claims with a pinch of salt. Ditto the ISO. And it's way too expensive, really. Can't see how cropping will work as well as it does on my 36mp 810 and I don't want four minutes of video capability, so I'll pass for now on that. We'll see what the user reviews say.
But D4s used prices might go down bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back