• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Oceanic 6x30 Porro (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I bought this vintage swift oceanic as I don't recall seeing many vintage swift 6x30s. It's in nice condition, all clean inside, states 393ft@1000yds but viewing it seems narrower to me. Optically very good, up to Swift standard, although the eye relief is a bit skinny. The focus wheel was a bit stiff, so I used a cotton bud to apply a little cleaning alcohol and worked it a bit, nice and free now, but it has a tiny bit of play in it. Model 750, Fully Coated, Trilar RLE 37.5, hard twist out eye cups, number 7-654393 so i'm guessing 1965 ? Can't find a JB mark, so no idea who may have made these, any info appreciated?

Ed ?

Ben

Attachments

• SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30.....JPG
    SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30.....JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 299
  • SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30...JPG
    SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30...JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 235
  • SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30.JPG
    SWIFT-OCEANIC-6X30.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
I bought this vintage swift oceanic as I don't recall seeing many vintage swift 6x30s. It's in nice condition, all clean inside, states 393ft@1000yds but viewing it seems narrower to me. Optically very good, up to Swift standard, although the eye relief is a bit skinny. The focus wheel was a bit stiff, so I used a cotton bud to apply a little cleaning alcohol and worked it a bit, nice and free now, but it has a tiny bit of play in it. Model 750, Fully Coated, Trilar RLE 37.5, hard twist out eye cups, number 7-654393 so i'm guessing 1965 ? Can't find a JB mark, so no idea who may have made these, any info appreciated?

Ed ?

Ben

Hi Ben:

Find out who the major supplier for Jason/Empire was about 1962 and I think you will have your answer.

Bill

Hi Ben,

Swift's 6x30 Oceanic was an economy carry-over from Swift & Anderson, Inc. to Swift Instruments, Inc. in 1960. It was still being sold in 1969, so it was marketed for at least a decade. Notes from our Swift database suggest that the 1965 model marked No.7-65xxxx was made by "Miyako Seiki / Itabashi" — JL-B32, JL-E22.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Thats great, many thanks. I have been using this little binocular this morning, a dull day, but comparing with my Hartmann 8x30 and my Jenna Deltrintem, although they have a much wider FOV, clarity is comparable and the image from this little Swift is actually a fair bit brighter than both, very decent for a binocular that I guess would have been moderately priced.

Ben

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back