• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Muted blackbird song - UK (1 Viewer)

neilsavory

Hi folks,

I was in the garden the other day and heard a beautiful bird song assuming it was from a small bird. When I looked and found the bird in question it was a male blackbird hiding in the middle of a tree, and singing its full repertoire but very softly ( I mean you couldn't have heard it more than 10 yards away) as if to its self.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Neil

Hi Neil, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.
Yes,I have experienced quiet song from Blackbirds....it's almost as if they're practising for the months ahead.

cheers,
Andy

Yep, quite common with a lot of songbirds, it is called 'subsong'. Often like a quiet version of the normal song, but can be very different in some others, such as Lesser Whitethroat, where the subsong is a quiet warbling very unlike the full 'rattle' song.

Hi Neil , funnily enough i had exactly the same experience about a week ago, and very welcome it was too! I thought, like Andy, that it's a kind of "practice" for the turned-up-to-11 version in March/April!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back