• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Nest (1 Viewer)

damong

I know nests can be tough, sometimes impossible, to accurately ID. But this nest is unique enough that I think I should put it out there and see what people have to say. I feel like I should know it myself. Anybody know what bird this might belong to? Picture was taken in southern NH in November or December.

Thank You,
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afewgoodbirds47/

Attachments

• Nest.jpg
    Nest.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 79
Looks like that's a staghorn sumac, so those fruiting panicles are around 2 inches (~5cm) across. Nest is therefore about 2 inches wide and 1 deep; that's about right.

I was thrown by the appearance of the nest; I'd expect an outer layer of lichen over a core of cobwebs and thistledown. This one looks like it has some pine needles or grass, and maybe some twigs, but maybe that's just stuff that got stuck in/alongside the nest after it was abandoned.

It would be strange to see a hummingbird nest at that time of year, right? I've never seen one in New Hampshire, even during the summer. But then, I don't live there regularly, just visit family a few times each year.

It would be strange to see a hummingbird nest at that time of year, right? I've never seen one in New Hampshire, even during the summer. But then, I don't live there regularly, just visit family a few times each year.

It would be strange for any bird to be nesting in December in NH so I assumed this was an old nest from the previous breeding cycle! Ruby-throated is a summer resident, breeding species albeit, towards the northern part of its range. Two others, rufous and calliope are irregular visitors.

Last edited:
Comparing with the Stag's-horn Sumac seedheads, I'd say the nest is more like 8-10 cm outside diameter - probably a bit big for a hummingbird? Perhaps American Goldfinch or something else that sort of size?

Agree, on the big and bulky side for a hummer. If not goldfinch, Eastern Wood Pewee maybe?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back