• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just wondering ??? (1 Viewer)

Stuart

Us birder's in the UK get really excited when a american bird makes it all the way over here, Ive seen bobolink and others.......

I was just wondering if any uk bird's make it the other way and land on your soil???

and if so what specie's ???

Good birding :t:

Hi Stuart,

I wish I could say that I have seen UK birds here , but for me that just hasn't been so. But don't judge the rest of my country by me. I have a very small orbit that I revolve in. For all I know, maybe I have seen your birds and not realized it. Maybe that's what BirdForum is all about- bringing us all together.

I know there are others, especially right on the east coast, but the only one that comes to mind right now is Eurasian Wigeon. It shows up occasionally here near the eastern Great Lakes.

Sylvia

UK birds

Hi, it's been awhile but I took a ferry from Connecticut to Long Island in order to find a reported Northern Lapwing. Got it 5 years ago. Also have seen Eurasian Green-wing Teal around the Connecticut shoreline. Are these seen over there or do I have the wrong area? Also saw a Little Egret which the so-called experts say might have been a hybrid. Taken as a lifer, anyway.

I was recently talking to someone who had just com back from a birding holiday in N E USA (not sure exactly where) and he recorded the first European black headed gull ever for that state. So our birds do make it over there sometimes. (Odd how we take a few hundred (or thousand) black headed gulls for granted).

I suppose it happens less often due to the prevailing weather conditions.

Thanks for the response folks, interesting only ducks got a mention!!!

And wingwatcher, we do get teal in the uk, but green-winged teal(carolinensis) is a American vagrant to the UK, it looks very similiar to ours, but has a white stripe up the side of its breast, on drake!! Were the uk version has a white stripe horzontal, down its body....

Ive seen hundreds of ours and only 1 green-winged :t:
, in a lot of years !!

Thanks again
;)

Well all I see is the house sparrow that has been here for ages. I wonder if it has to do with the way the wind blows or what that Bobolinks and White throat sparrows would end up over there. Interesting that all your birds seen here are on the coast and are water birds.

European passerines DO turn up in the US,but usually in Alaska and only if they also breed in E.Asia(c.f.this year's Willow Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat).I seem to remember that there are records of some "Sibes"(i.e.Dusky Warbler)further south along the west coast.
I think that the prevailing winds in the Atlantic mitigate against any passerines making a successful crossing to the US(or Canada),but gulls and waders are better equipped to make the crossing.
In response to SarahC,wetland birds are FAR more regular over here as well:birds like Am.Wigeon,GW Teal,many American waders,Ring-billed Gull etc.are annual here,with the latter in particular now almost taken for granted in the winter months(last winter was very poor for them,but still saw a few.Had 5 ads together near the city centre the winter before,and a few more elsewhere also)

I remember hearing about the Black headed gull as well. Another bird that I have been told has recently been I.D'd is the Pied wagtail.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back