• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New lens has finally arrived! (1 Viewer)

gatafrancesca

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to let you all know how happy I am as I was finally able to get the lens I had dreamed about: the Canon 400mm f5.6! :bounce:
I wanted to thank all the people who kindly helped me out with the decision, I am now sure this is the perfect lens for me. I don't have a tripod yet, but I hope I soon will, and I didn't have a good chance to use the lens till now, but the very first photos I took convinced me that with a little practice this lens will show it's potential. I attached to this message one of the first few photos I took.
I am sure I will have lots of fun learning |;|
By the way: I had a hard time trying to buy it here in Mexico, Canon assured me they would have it in three days, then they told me it would be one month, and in the end that I would need to wait three months or so. I asked them to give me back my money and bought it from B&H, a friend helped me out to make it cross the border safely.
Well, I hope I will have some decent photos to share in the future, especially because I think the gallery lacks some mexican species!
I will keep in touch, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0678b.jpg
    IMG_0678b.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 191
Hello Francesca,

that's great news indeed! :king: Glad to see that you managed to get safely your lens in your welcoming arms |;|

There's a bit of a learning curve involved with this lens, but I'm sure you'll fully appreciate it very soon ... now go out and shoot, shoot, shoot :t: ... we're looking forward to seeing your results in the gallery soon

Have a good time and keep us updated

Cheers,

Max

Congratulations on the purchase :t:

You won't be disappointed in the results. It's a very sharp lens indeed.

Glad you finally got one. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Took me quite a time to get used to it, if I have yet, but some of the results, some of the time, are stunning.
Good Luck with it.

Francesca,you will love this lens.Yes they are quite difficult to obtain,I had to send to America,via Scotland for mine.But it is my all time fav lens.Very easy to use,nice and light,and I have never used a tripod,so do not miss the lack of IS.Good luck.Please post some pics for us,on the Gallery,when you have had chance to use and enjoy.

gatafrancesca said:
Well, I hope I will have some decent photos to share in the future, especially because I think the gallery lacks some mexican species!

We will be looking forward to them. :clap:

I don't think I've ever been able to get focus as sharp as in your picture. Verrry nice.

Thank you everyone for your comments.
I know it will take a good amount of practice to learn to get the best results with this lens, but I think I will enjoy every moment of it. |:$|
Right now I am first of all getting used to carry the lens around along with all the rest of my stuff, which means essentially: lots of wheight! I always carry in my backpack two BIG field guides: The Sibley and the Howell and Webb (mexican birds), the last one beeing just huge! Then I carry binoculars, food, insect repellant, water, clothing, etc. Fortunately this lens is not so heavy, I probably will suffer more when I will manage to buy a tripod, but I also plan to buy a Lowepro backpack, in order to carry everything more comfortably and safely. Just have to save some more money! I can handhold the lens with no major problems, but my arms begin to get tired very soon, I guess I need some workout ;) Anyway, I realize I do need the tripod when photographing under forest canopy.
I guess it will be a long time till I will feel confident enough to post something on the gallery, but I willl attach another recent photo to this post, no cropping on this one, just some sharpening and level adjustment. I'ts one of the local hummingbirds that take advantage of my feeders, so quite an easy subject. I would love to know if this one and the other image I first posted look too dark on your screens. They are just fine on my laptop, but I am not sure about how they would look on another machine, so any comments would be most helpful. Thanks!
Goodbye and enjoy your birding :hi:

Attachments

• hylocharis leucotis.jpg
    hylocharis leucotis.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 164
Francesca ,a good shot,the eye of the bird is very clear,also the colour of his beak.Maybe a tad darkish,guess a small crop,and a tiny tweak in the highlighting area,and this is a good pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back