• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tuesday Afternoon -Feeder- QTVideo (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
The bluejays owned the feeder yesterday- At one time there were four of them on at the same time. They are so animated and loud- I think they are fun to watch. I wish I could tell the sexes apart.

This video is 3 minutes and a bit over 6mb.

iMovie

Alarson - really enjoyed watching your video. Thanks for posting it. It took me right back to our yard in Cincinnati when we lived there for 3 years. Even had the train sounds on it too! Is your camera actually on the feeder, and are you controlling it from inside the house? Wonderful results anyway.
Jampots

That female cardinal looks stunning against the backdrop of purple flowers! :) And the male is such a beautiful, brilliant red now. That lovely flowery background sure does add a nice splash of color. Really accentuates the cardinals. I like the glimpse of the white throated sparrow too.

Who's that warbling in the background? I have to say that with the flowers, this is one of your more 'artistic' videos. ;)

Hi Jampots - thanks for responding to my post. I'm happy that you enjoyed the video.

The camera and I are inside the house- I am shooting through a window pane. The feeder is outside (of course) built off the deck which is only 6' wide. So when I am focused on the farthest point away on the feeder it is 3.9 meters from the lens (the camera tells me the focal length). The camcorder I am using is a Canon GL2- it has a 20x zoom so I am able to get some nice close-ups. I have a Bogen 3130 fluid head mounted to an extension on the window sill. I also have additional lighting out there to help fill the faces and fronts of the birds. There are two microphones set up which run into a mixer and then to my camcorder.

I know that this set up is a bit extreme but, hey, everybody has their own madness, right? I liken it to somebody who has a train platform and is into scale model trains or boats.

I get a lot of pleasure from the birds who come to my feeder and also a lot of pleasure from the technical aspect of video taping them and then editing the video. I have some great equipment and rather than let it sit around the house and do nothing, I try to use it every day. I use a Mac and edit with iMovie, FinalCut, and Quicktime- having this video bird feeder gives me an endless source of material for staying in practice using my software and hardware. And I know that one day I will get something fantastic on tape.

I am glad to have found BirdForum so I can share my videos with people like you.

Thank you Tammie.

Yep- those Azaleas are someting special for sure. They are good for about a month- then it's back to a green background. But they are always beautiful. My yard is like a little rain forest.

I'm not sure what that is in the background. I have seen some yellow rumped warblers around the yard in the last few weeks. Tomorrow I am going to take my gear down to the pond and see if I can catch one on tape.

Nice video again, I like watching them.

Although they are not as colourful as the others I think these Doves are very pretty birds.

Thank you Ronald,

I also enjoy the doves- they are very plentiful here. I think they probably get most of my sunflower seeds- they would stay forever I think. Thank you for telling you liked my video.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back