• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Have a Dupex! (1 Viewer)

shelley810

This one is a new one for me...though I have heard or read about it before.
I have a House Finch pair nesting in the center of the inner circle of a winter wreath I didn't change out in time before they found their spot (all's well, I have them nesting in the spring wreath every year). Female is nearing end of incubation, with hatch day due anytime now. I was gone all day yesterday so it was dark before I noticed long grasses and old stems and mud on the TOP left of the same wreath. I knew right away who was doing it, and confirmed this morning when I watched Mrs. Robin making her nest Right above Mrs. House Finch!!!!!! Mr. House Finch showed up in his normal spot on the birch tree and proceeded to sing like normal with Mr. Robin right below him, supervising the construction of the family condo!!
I honestly don't know if this is co-tolerance or a growing worry when the HF chicks hatch and there is more activity around that wreath. Will the Robins be as tolerant? I'm hoping that it will be a smooth transition, since HF develop quickly. Anyone else seen this, I can't imagine it being to UNcommon, just I've never seen it happen!
shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back