• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where in Europe for a great week of birding in December? (1 Viewer)

TonyS

I have a weeks precious leave and could do with some great winter birding. Sunshine would be welcome and a variety of birds that would not be found in the UK (easily anyway). Spain and Portugal spring to mind and I have been to neither. How to chose and which city would give the best access?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Spain would be my suggestion. Fly to anywhere in the SW, hire a car and do the Bustards, Spanish Imperial Eagle and all of the SW specialities.

cheers, alan

Yes i would consider flyingto seville or faro, covering Castro verde, Coto Donana, Sierra de grazalema, Serrania de ronda areas. And if you can upto northen spain pre-pyrenees Wallcreeper/ lammergeier territory.

Of course this means touring and not an actual based holiday. Or you could do one week touring then one week based as a holiday somewhere nice.

I would recommend Spain too ;)

I'm heading there in the second week of December, I'm going to visit El Hondo and Gallocanta amongst other sites...my targets are to see the wintering cranes and the Great spotted Eagle ;)

Anyone who's been here for long will know that I'm about to recommend SW Spain too! Fly into Seville/Jerez and explore westwards for the Coto (inc. the eastern bank of the Guadalquivir), east for the Seville farmlands & Laguna de Piedra, south for Cadiz lagoons/La Janda etc and north for the Aracena etc. Heading for central Spain would be better for bustards/sandgrouse, but is likely to be much colder. Currently Jerez is expected to enjoy temperatures in the 70s (I don't do centigrade!) and it won't be that much colder in December

Just as those here will have guessed my recommendation, they won't be surprised at my offer to share my detailed notes on birding sites Cadiz province (and nearby areas) with you. If you're interested PM me with your email address and I'll send you my 'quick guide' (20+ pages). If this whets your appetite then you might just have the patience to work through my longer opus (80+pages) - I can send both!

I can't do any better than say " Listen to John". His encyclopedic knowledge of SW Spain is legendary ....... and it's a cracking place to visit.

Chris

I think you should go to southern Spain too. It's getting a bit too crowded with foreign birders up here in northeast Spain.

Steve

I can't do any better than say " Listen to John". His encyclopedic knowledge of SW Spain is legendary ....... and it's a cracking place to visit.

Chris

Chris that's very kind of you, but quite mistaken - the more I visit the area the more I'm aware of areas where my ignorance is acute! Posters here such as Jose A Sanchez, 'al-Natural' and 'Black Wheatear' know far more than me - after all, unlike me, they live there and the first two are 'natives'. However, what I am good at is "shouting" about the area just a bit louder than most!

I would recommend Spain too ;)

I'm heading there in the second week of December, I'm going to visit El Hondo and Gallocanta amongst other sites...my targets are to see the wintering cranes and the Great spotted Eagle ;)

Went in August and the main part of El Hondo was shut due some local dispute, not sure if this has been resolved.You still can access other parts of the reserve if you know where to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back