• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Lens????? (1 Viewer)

Adam112

Hi all, Im recently new to birding I have a Canon Eos 300d and a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens, Which is pretty new. I wanted to buy a 500mm lens, but don't know which to buy. Im on a bit of a budget and can't really afford more than £200.

Any suggestions most welcome.

You'll struggle to get a decent (if any) 500mm lens for under £200. If you look around you'll probably be able to find a used Sigma 135-400mm lens for that sort of money, but the 170-500mm sells for a chunk more.You might well do better to wait for a while (and save a bit more) so you can go for the lens you want rather than compromising. Buying a shorter lens might just leave you upgrading again in the future.

You can use any number of older telephoto lenses that you can get on Ebay for very little money. Get an M42 fitting and buy an adapter for EOS fitting. You will have manual focusing and will need to work in Aperture priority mode but it's a cheap way to get started and you can still save up for a better solution.
I have a 400mm f6.3 that cost me £18.00 including the adapter.

Hi Adam.I too use a 300d and I just picked up a Sigma 135-400mm for £100.Also bought a kenko 1.4x pro converter off ebay for £69 buy it now inc delivery.This will give you 560mm.The attached pic was taken with this combo.Just a thought.Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 154
mike from ebbw said:
Hi Adam.I too use a 300d and I just picked up a Sigma 135-400mm for £100.

That's a real bargain you've got yourself Mike, I regularly see them sell for twice that price! From the look of the attached photo you're already putting it to good use.

Thanks Peter.I bought it from a local dealer that said it needed to be chipped in order to work with a digital body (which was why it was only £100).I took my 300d in to try it out and it looks like it had already been chipped.Needless to say I said nothing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back