• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer Behavior (1 Viewer)

Wildwoman

A male hummer was perched on my feeder and having a drink. Then he twisted his neck up and around and bopped his whole body as if he heard some internal music. Then he'd drink again, and repeat.

It was cooler yesterday, around 70ish. I wondered if he was doing this to warm himself? I've never seen this behavior before and was curious about it.

This was evening time and I watched this at two different feeders over the course of maybe an hour.

Thoughts?

That's first I've heard of that behavior. I've seen some interesting routines in the last 2 years.

Attachments

• backscratch.jpg
    backscratch.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 86
  • headscratch.jpg
    headscratch.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 81
Wildwoman,
I take photos of Hummers all the time and I think he was just stretching and changing position. There is a wonderful Humminbird book that was published in the 80's it is so good!!! It is like a coffee table book called "Hummingbirds Their Life and Behavior" A Photographic Study of the North Amercian Species. Author Esther Quesada Tyrrell-photos by Robert A, Tyrrell. I went to used books or out of print books and went to Crown Books and they have used ones as low as $3.00. Bought it and had it shopped for $5.88.
You will love it.

Redwing

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back