• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help on identifying this telescope and whether it can be used for digiscoping (400d) (1 Viewer)

Looks like a Celestron C90 maksutov scope. You can use it with a dslr and it will give something like 1000mm focal length at F11. Mirror scopes like this are very prone to vibration so you would need to use it on a tripod with cable release. Because it's F11 it would work best on a bright day but apart from that there shouldn't be too much of a problem getting it set up. On my way out now so can't type any more but will get back later. In the mean time do some googling on C90 and dslr set ups.

Paul.

Quite a few photos here on Flickr taken with the C90. Just to check that yours is a C90 I'd measure the front diameter. If it's 90mm across then you'll know it's the C90. If it's smaller then it may be a different model.

On the Flickr website the specs show the C90 as being 1200mm and F13.3 Don't know if there's a decent focal reducer for the C90 but it would be worth considering to get the focal length down a bit which in turn would increase shutter speed. It's not all that often that you need to be up at 1200mm. My scope is 600mm and with my Canon 450D 840mm is commonly the most I use.

If your scope is the C90 then all you need is this adapter here. To mount the camera to this adapter you just need a T-ring to suit your Canon bayonet mount.

Paul.

Paul, it is 90mm B :)

However, I have a question. I seems to have trouble focusing on birds as I find it very hard to focus with the astro scope. I am using a 25mm eyepiece. I tried pointing the IXUS camera on the eyepiece and I found that it was impossible to shoot a photo. I was wondering will I be better off if I use the adaptor to focus?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back