• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-headed Woodpecker Stuttgart, Germany (1 Viewer)

Eildert

Hi, I'm going to Stuttgart, Germany tomorrow, and I would like to know whether any Grey-headed Woodpeckers (or other interesting birds) can be found in the vicinity. Anybody who's familiar with the surroundings?
Thanks, Eildert

Well, I could recommend you my parents garden, but that's 35 km out of Stuttgart. Sure you can find them closer to Town. If you have very little time, have a look at the Rosensteinpark, that's a large park starting next to the main train station, I guess you have good changes to find some there (also a feral population of Yellow-headed Amazons). If having some more time I would go to the outskirts, best bet are areas with oOrchards (Streuobstwiesen) with some adjacent forest. I don't lnow these areas myself, but just looking at google maps, I would try north of Stuttgart around Korntal (S-Bahn stop) or south near Wangen (U-Bahn stop).

Good luck! Florian

Edit: just realised that I'm too late, sorry

Last edited:
Stretching the old memory a bit, but in about 1990 I spent a morning birding in a wood near Stuttgart while on tour with a band. I'm pretty sure the forest was called Bonlanden, (and might be south of the city?). I saw a couple of Grey-headed Woodpeckers, and also a Middle Spot there.

EDIT: Doh! I'm a bit slow too Florian!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back