• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32 EL & Nikon 8x32 SE what a combo! (1 Viewer)

How do they compare in terms of edge sharpness and distortion? The se and el that is.

Newfie, it's close but the se gets the nod. The el has more pinchusion than the 8x30 slc but, with its wide sweet spot you just don't notice it. Right now i'm soley using the el, to much da-- rain! With all the alpha's you have you owe it to yourself to add an se to your stable!!! I'm really hoping the Zen prime works out, it would complete my little stable! Gone are the days when i could use a different glass for every day of the month!!! :) Bryce...

and...

I am just hoping that by the time I get moneyed up again there will be an 8x32 SE in production as Nikon seems to have s--t c----d that particular model.

There's always the used market...

john

I am just hoping that by the time I get moneyed up again there will be an 8x32 SE in production as Nikon seems to have s--t c----d that particular model.

There's always the used market...

john

John, i think there will be deals to be had! I could've ordered one but stuck it out and with some help found a basically new one for considerably less! :) Bryce... P.S. There are some really helpful people on hear!!!

...With all the alpha's you have you owe it to yourself to add an se to your stable!!! ... Bryce...

I decided to add an SE to my stable and then close the gate before the horses got out.

I was once driving passed a local "horse farm" where a girl I dated used to work, and suddenly there were about 10 horses galloping down the street toward my car. I thought my whole life would flash before my eyes, but I never got passed the birth canal.

I pulled over into the ditch near the side of the road as they passed me, never slowing down. Phew! That was a close one.

Buying the SE now and the alphas later after I win the Powerball, at least I won't have missed anything except on rainy days when I don't go out birding anyway, said the Fox.

Brock

I decided to add an SE to my stable and then close the gate before the horses got out.

I was once driving passed a local "horse farm" where a girl I dated used to work, and suddenly there were about 10 horses galloping down the street toward my car. I thought my whole life would flash before my eyes, but I never got passed the birth canal.

I pulled over into the ditch near the side of the road as they passed me, never slowing down. Phew! That was a close one.

Buying the SE now and the alphas later after I win the Powerball, at least I won't have missed anything except on rainy days when I don't go out birding anyway, said the Fox.

Brock
Always entertaining but, the Fox would have missed the Bohemian Waxwings that were mingling with the Cedars tonight! Luckily i had the alpha to withstand the rain a first for me! :) Bryce

It looks like Eagle Optics is calling the last of the 8/10x32 EL's "demos" and out the door they go: $1350/1400. That's $750 less than the new SV.

Personally it gives me the best of both worlds and every thing is better than what i had hoped for when i purchased the baby el! I like the idea of it screwing on not pushing over the eyecup and as rar as i can tell? No degrading of image! I'am now a pro-doubler user and i'm loving it! Bryce...

me do same (with the SE):t:

me do same (with the SE):t:
Jay, it was your thread i was thinking about! How does the Bushnell doubler fit on the se? I mean is it snug does it line up correctly with ep? If so i could see me getting one, like right now!!! I really like the combo with the el and it would be nice to have a similiar setup with the se! Bryce...

Can't beat a swaro.... Agreed! Your second backup can be numerous suppliers ... Nikon, vortex.... Not one really better than other

Jay, it was your thread i was thinking about! How does the Bushnell doubler fit on the se? I mean is it snug does it line up correctly with ep? If so i could see me getting one, like right now!!! I really like the combo with the el and it would be nice to have a similiar setup with the se! Bryce...

Fits on snug.

It's my conclusion that although the se is a smidge better optically the el used in tandem with it proves to be the better all around binocular! One could summize and say the el is the better optical instrument? I have used the two enough side by side and can go back and forth between the two and be very confident in my posting. That said yesterday for my birthday i was able to try finally a SV 8x32! To my eye they are just slightly above the se and el! But, i need to be able to do a side by side comparison to be sure. They do have less pincushion than the other two! One thing to note bigger hands may prefer the older el they have a touch larger barrells! I do like the full body armor though, they feel grippier when handling!

It's my conclusion that although the se is a smidge better optically the el used in tandem with it proves to be the better all around binocular! One could summize and say the el is the better optical instrument? I have used the two enough side by side and can go back and forth between the two and be very confident in my posting. That said yesterday for my birthday i was able to try finally a SV 8x32! To my eye they are just slightly above the se and el! But, i need to be able to do a side by side comparison to be sure. They do have less pincushion than the other two! One thing to note bigger hands may prefer the older el they have a touch larger barrells! I do like the full body armor though, they feel grippier when handling!
All in all at this time the sv's are not enough improvement for me to buy them! I have other fish to fry and the other binoculars are good enough optically to satisfy my needs and not left wanting more! Bryce...

Bryce,

As the bank robber said to Dirty Harry: I gots to know..........

How was the focus mechanism on the new Swarovski 8X32 EL SV that you just tried?

Also, where did you find one to demo? I've been to Sportsman Warehouse and Cabelas recently, but no luck.

Bryce,

As the bank robber said to Dirty Harry: I gots to know..........

How was the focus mechanism on the new Swarovski 8X32 EL SV that you just tried?

Also, where did you find one to demo? I've been to Sportsman Warehouse and Cabelas recently, but no luck.
In Tillamook OR. The only sporting goods store in town!!! The focus was, is Brock hiding? Smooth as a babys bottom, just like my el! I think he sold it? You might be able to check on line? He might still have it, he said it was sold but, not when i was around!!! Another place i get my optics is in Beaver OR. Another little sporting goods store! They unfortunately are not on line! The guys in Tillamook are good to deal with, there prices are quite high but, beings there are alot of hunters they will deal with locals and deals are to be had. It's where i got my 7x42's and el 8x32's, Bryce...

Bryce .... Thanks for the response. I recently purchased a Nikon EDG II 8X32 during the Nikon Spring Promotion and am curious to see how they compare to the just released SV 8X32. I don't think I am in the market for the SV, but it is always risky when just going to "take a look" (which can be confirmed by any sucessful car salesman). :-O I noticed a Birds Unlimited in my area is listed as a Swarovski dealer, so I will check them out next.

It is good to hear that the focus mechanism is smooth. I have handled several EL WB and SV models (but not any of the new 8/10X32 EL SV) where the focus is either rough or sticks in some parts of the focus travel. Maybe Swarovski is now listening to us "little old ladies" (from a previous post) who have issues with that.

Bruce,
I think I vaguely remember using the phrase "old women" instead of "little old ladies;" and to be sure, the ladies don't need to be saddled with that pejorative when it comes to binoculars. So I now withdraw it because I can't remember any member of the fair sex writing in this forum and complaining about loose, uneven or ratchety focusers on their binoculars!
Bob.

Nice combo,but the new 832 swarovision is superb really surprises me
Yes the SV 8x32 is superb! I will be able to do a side by side this weekend with the 8x32 el. When i originally tried the sv i didn't have my el with me! At that time i didn't think the sv offered that much of a difference between my el and now my wifes se! But, something about the image has stuck with me and using my binoculars this week it's been bugging me enough so that i'm going with both the se and el and do a direct comparison! Going from memory is never a good thing! While i did think and stated that i thought the sv's were better i didn't think it was worth the trade off with the two fine binoculars i already have!??? Well now i'm second guessing myself! Something about the image has been driving me crazy all week! I checked and they still have a couple so i'm in luck!!! Being able to compare will give me alot better idea in the differences between them! I have read to much on what people are saying when infact i really wonder who actually has compared them together??? It's really more personal for me to do this! Not out to dismiss anybody elses observations! :) Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back