• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Hummer 30117 ZIP (1 Viewer)

We had our first hummer today (4/8/13).
Last year, we had one show up in late March. He was here for 3-4 days and then left. We didn't see another until the first week in May. I hope this one today is here to stay. They are my favorite photo models........... :)

I think last year they may have been early. My father lives in very north Georgia, and has kept very good records of first arrivals for almost 20 years. Typically, the first arrivals have been April 6th to the 8th, usually on the 7th.

He had his first again this year on the 7th, so at least for him, they appear to be right on time.

So I'd guess I have about a week to get the feeders out? I'm in north central WV....I admit I've never kept a record on when I see the first hummer but will definitely be doing that from now on. Maybe they are a more reliable indicator of when warm weather is here to stay, since we have Robins that stay year-round.

First hummer today for me. It was a male.
Last year my first hummer was on 3/26/12. They are late.

I saw my first Ruby Throated of this year today, 12th April. My feeders have been up for 3 days so they could have visted before now and I had not seen it. I like the idea of a feeder hanging on a window. My wife and I were having breakfast when the bird was fluttering around the feeder no more that 3 feet from us.

April 19, 2013. South border of Smoky Mountain National Park near the North Carolina - Tennessee border.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back