• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG Resale (1 Viewer)

I would recommend that anyone interested in a refurbished Nikon read this thread, starting about post #6. Post #13 is definitive.

Unless they've changed their policy recently, the no-fault warranty is indeterminate at best. 90 days is all you get. Caveat emptor !!

Ed

Sad thing is, the only one worse is the BS presented by Leica.......0 days warranty for pre-owned.

This is what you have to do according to the 2014 Nikon USA Binocular website to get your Nikon binocular repaired. It requires that you have your receipt and warranty card.

You have to go through a process to send your binocular in for repairs at which time the word "warranty" will appear. I found nothing in it about how Nikon would handle repairs on a 2nd hand binocular. There is no mention of a $10.00 fee or anything like that.

Here are the links:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Service-And-Support/index.page

Then:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page

At the point below you have to provide a copy of your receipt and warranty card if it is a warranty repair.

https://repair.nikonusa.com/ProductEntry

Take it from there.

I sent one of mine in to Nikon for repairs this year and the procedure was efficient and worked well but I had all the paperwork required.

Bob

Bob,

Those links simply describe the procedures the owner of a refurbished binocular should follow during the 90 days of warranty coverage. After that there is no warranty coverage, and also no "no-fault" coverage.

Ed

Last edited:
Take a look at the attachment in post #9. If the binocular is used, you pay the estimate to get it fixed. The thing is, will the estimate be $20 or $600 ? :h?:

Bob,

Those links simply describe the procedures the owner of a refurbished should follow during the 90 days of warranty coverage. After that there is no warranty coverage, and also no "no-fault" coverage.

Ed

Ed,

I began by clicking on the "Service and Support" link and followed the steps from there entering the information about my binocular where required.

The binocular I sent to them was not a refurb.

I sent my 4 year old 10x32 EDG I (which I purchased new at Nikons close out sale of EDG I's in 2010) in to have bubbling on the objective tube covering fixed and to have the ridged rubber covering around the focus wheel replaced because it had stretched and was interfering with the focusing. I had no other problems with it and I want to make it clear that there was nothing wrong with its diopter mechanism which worked perfectly.

Never the less Nikon used its option to replace it with a new Nikon 10x32 EDG II. I would have been perfectly happy getting the 1st one repaired because its optics were so good.

I made my first contact with Nikon by following the procedure outlined in their website. There was one phone call between a NY Nikon representative located in Philadelphia who worked with returns and myself to ask questions and then an e-mail acknowledgement from Nikon to me with further instructions which included an address form to use and a form to fill out to send in with the binocular and its papers.

After that there was other e-mail correspondence from them acknowledging receipt and their decision to replace it and an estimate of the time needed. Later I made one phone call to a rep in California (citing the work order information) about when I could expect to have it returned. It appears they had to get the replacement from Japan which caused a short delay.

Bob

Last edited:
These and others have been appearing on an online auction site in Oz for some time - the price appears reduced perhaps reflecting EDG I?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-ED...ras_Telescopes_Binoculars&hash=item3a9011719b

What is the general consensus?

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Here's a comparable ad in the US for a Nikon 10x32 EDG-1. Note at the bottom there's a standard 25 year warranty and No-Fault coverage beyond that, but there is also no indication that it's a refurbished binocular. So it can be purchased with full warranty protection. Your 8x42 EDG-I ad seems to be the same in Australia.

I have nothing against Nikon binoculars, and their repair services and standard warranty have been fine. Unfortunately when it comes to refurbished instruments, at least in the US their policy is not transparent or adequate for me. Until that changes I would consider them a questionable deal, simply because no instrument is bullet proof and will eventually require service — like the 10x32 Bob mentioned in post #27.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Rodger,

Here's a comparable ad in the US for a Nikon 10x32 EDG-1. Note at the bottom there's a standard 25 year warranty and No-Fault coverage beyond that, but there is also no indication that it's a refurbished binocular. So it can be purchased with full warranty protection. Your 8x42 EDG-1 ad seems to be the same in Australia.

I have nothing against Nikon binoculars, and their repair services and standard warranty have been fine. Unfortunately when it comes to refurbished instruments, at least in the US their policy is not transparent or adequate for me. Until that changes I would consider them a questionable deal, simply because no instrument is bullet proof and will eventually require service — like the 10x32 Bob mentioned in post #27.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ed
Check the actual seller's listing. It speaks of a warranty card, an "artfully removed" UPC and that's it. When Nikon asks for proof of purchase this could be a big problem. It may be new, used and unwarranted all at the same time.

Yeah, I found the listing, HERE. Drat, another potential pitfall.

Just be extra careful. Buy from a well-established dealer, and if anything looks bad it probably is. :-C

Here is a link explaining UPC codes, which are also used in Australia. The dealer deserves credit for pointing this out!

Nice save, Pileatus.
Ed

Last edited:
I have been unable to locate any new significantly discounted EDG II 8x32's or 10x32's in the United States. They all seem to be in the $2200 - $2400 range. Maybe I am not looking in the right places?

I received this today from Nikon in response to my question regarding warranty on used EDG binoculars should I decide to buy a pair.

Here is a post with copies of the 25 year warranty that comes with a "new" Nikon EDG II (as of a couple of years ago) and a copy of the no fault policy from a couple of years ago (which may be unchanged).

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2419753&postcount=10

An EDG refurbished by Nikon comes with a 90 day warranty rather than the 25 year warranty and our former Nikon birding rep claims the No Fault does not apply to a refurb. (Some may interpret this differently based on the less than precise wording.)

Edit: As noted by Pileatus below, the Nikon No Fault is/was a policy, not a warranty so I corrected that above. Also as noted by Bob below, Nikon has made changes since two years ago.

Last edited:
I had a recent coating 10X42 SE here for a month to evaluate this summer. In the EDG 10X42 would I see roughly the same color rendition with more contrast and resolution and less CA ? .............

I have a 10X42 EDG II and my brother has a 10X42 SE with the latest coatings. I did spend several days about a year and half ago comparing. My general recollection was the view optics wise was very close. There was a very slight difference in the color rendition, but not much. The biggest differences in the view are the scaling differences in a roof vs a porro and a larger FOV in the EDG. Contrast, brightness differences were not great and I did not have CA issues with either (but I am not CA sensitive although I can see it).

As I recall, you had CA issues with the SE but not with your SV 10X42. What is interesting is that Allbinos gives the SE a CA score of 8.5 yet the Swarovski SV EL 10X42 only managed a 6.9. I do not know why the difference in results between your experience and the Allbinos results.

Those results are quite a mystery. With my eyes looking through them, the SV is only a tiny bit less good at CA control than the 8.5X44 Kowa Genesis and Zen ED2 8X43, both about as good as it gets in that area. For me, if the SV is a 6.9, then the SE is a 3.5 or 4 at best. It is all such a personal thing that I believe each person absolutely has to look through a binocular rather than go by what anyone else has to say about it.

As I recall, you had CA issues with the SE but not with your SV 10X42. What is interesting is that Allbinos gives the SE a CA score of 8.5 yet the Swarovski SV EL 10X42 only managed a 6.9. I do not know why the difference in results between your experience and the Allbinos results.

Here is a post with copies of the 25 year warranty that comes with a "new" Nikon EDG II (as of a couple of years ago) and a copy of the no fault warranty from a couple of years ago (which may be unchanged).

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2419753&postcount=10

An EDG refurbished by Nikon comes with a 90 day warranty rather than the 25 year warranty and our former Nikon birding rep claims the No Fault does not apply to a refurb. (Some may interpret this differently based on the less than precise wording.)

Bruce,

That was in 2012 and Nikon might still honor this warranty for binoculars purchased prior to and during this period and up through 2013. I don't know and I won't hazard a guess.

Beginning with 2014 it appears to have changed. I checked the warranty sent with my replacement 10x32 EDG II which I got in 2014 and it states that there is a 25 year warranty on all non-electronic parts and Nikon will repair or replace it without charge.

It also states as follows:

"1. This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable."

"This warranty form together with proof of purchase that includes purchase date (Bill of Sale) must be presented to obtain warranty service." It may not be reproduced or copied. (There is no mention of a $10.00 fee.)

This could mean that the "No Fault" policy you have pictured in the link in your post 32 for binoculars "not covered by our 25 year warranty" including the payment of a $10.00 fee, is no longer applicable, at least for binoculars purchased after 1/1/2014. Your "No Fault" policy is dated 1/2012.

I did not find any warranty statement like the one sent to me (or the ones you linked to in post 32) in the 2014 Nikon USA website.

Bob

Last edited:
I came within $10 of a nice EDG 10x42 last night on eBay. It would have been fun to compare them to the SV. They had a 30 day return, maybe I should have bid just a little higher. |=)|

Nikon's No-Fault is not a warranty but a policy and, as such, subject to change at any time. Ten years ago they would simply say, "send it in and we'll fix under warranty or for $10 plus shipping." I've exercised both options on optics I purchased brand new. In one case, water damage was not covered under warranty so for ten bucks I got it remedied. A couple of cleanings were done free of charge. Nikon treated me well!

Years ago, I asked Nikon about second hand items and they told me they'd most likely address problems under the No-Fault policy. As we've heard, some folks sent in second hand bin(s) for repair and, instead of repair, received new bins. Nikon reps read the forums and we know the warranty was changed for refurbished items to 90 days and no No-Fault. That double negative means 90 days is it. Here's the word from Nikon:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2833339&postcount=36

It appears that...
Original owner: 25-year warranty plus No-Fault policy.
Refurbished: 90 days only (no No-Fault).
Second-hand: It appears there is no warranty/policy coverage.

As always, caveat emptor.

Bruce,

That was in 2012 and Nikon might still honor this warranty for binoculars purchased prior to and during this period and up through 2013. I don't know and I won't hazard a guess.

Beginning with 2014 it appears to have changed. I checked the warranty sent with my replacement 10x32 EDG II which I got in 2014 and it states that there is a 25 year warranty on all non-electronic parts and Nikon will repair or replace it without charge.

Bob

Bob .... You are right, as I noted in the post, those were the documents as a couple of years ago. After more internet digging I found a new document posted on the Nikon site for USA warranty and it is different from the 25 years that what you said came with the 10X32 EDG replacement.

I could find just the one document for binoculars (no electronics) on the Nikon site and it is now a lifetime warranty rather than a 25 years warranty. It applies only to the original owner, it is for "new" binoculars, and it covers only defects in materials and workmanship. I could not find anything on the previous No Fault Policy.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_...tting-Scope_No_Electronic-warranty-sample.pdf

So, am I correct to assume this means there is no longer a no fault policy and one can no longer sell a used Nikon binocular to someone and still have a warranty to go along with it? Looks that way! If Pileatus is right and a policy can be revoked at will by the manufacturer, then to me, that diminishes the resale value of Nikon binoculars. The "Warranty", be it the previous 25 year or the new lifetime, applies only to the original purchaser. It looks like any used buyer is without warranty coverage.

Looks like it is time to ask Nikon about the status of the No Fault Policy. If I have a Nikon account I will ask them. (Edit: Found my account and sent a msg asking about the No-Fault Policy Status. Will post a follow-up if I hear back.)

Below is an image of the pdf file linked above. I recently purchased a Monarch 7 8X30 and the warranty document that was in the box is the same as in the pdf file, but in the bottom right corner, the reference code is WULTN-R (1402V1) rather than (XXXX) XXXX-XXXX.

Attachments

• Nikon 2014 Warranty.jpg
    Nikon 2014 Warranty.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Nikon's No-Fault is not a warranty but a policy and, as such, subject to change at any time. Ten years ago they would simply say, "send it in and we'll fix under warranty or for $10 plus shipping." I've exercised both options on optics I purchased brand new. In one case, water damage was not covered under warranty so for ten bucks I got it remedied. A couple of cleanings were done free of charge. Nikon treated me well!

Years ago, I asked Nikon about second hand items and they told me they'd most likely address problems under the No-Fault policy. As we've heard, some folks sent in second hand bin(s) for repair and, instead of repair, received new bins. Nikon reps read the forums and we know the warranty was changed for refurbished items to 90 days and no No-Fault. That double negative means 90 days is it. Here's the word from Nikon:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2833339&postcount=36

It appears that...
Original owner: 25-year warranty plus No-Fault policy.
Refurbished: 90 days only (no No-Fault).
Second-hand: It appears there is no warranty/policy coverage.

As always, caveat emptor.

Now that I think about it, it's a perfect example of obfuscation. The word 'policy' has two meanings: (1) an intended course of action, e.g., a corporate policy, or (2) a document embodying a contract of insurance, e.g., an insurance policy. Nikon goes to great lengths to maintain their freedom to change 'corporate policy,' while giving the buyer the illusion they have a tangible 'insurance policy' that comes with the instrument.

The link you posted from Mike Freiberg illustrates this very well.
Our refurbished optics offer a 90-day manufacturer's warranty. NO-FAULT IS NOT INCLUDED!

He didn't say that the no-fault [corporate] policy doesn't apply. He implied the no-fault ['insurance policy'] is not included.

Ed

Last edited:
Bob .... You are right, as I noted in the post, those were the documents as a couple of years ago. After more internet digging I found a new document posted on the Nikon site for USA warranty and it is different from the 25 years that what you said came with the 10X32 EDG replacement.

I could find just the one document for binoculars (no electronics) on the Nikon site and it is now a lifetime warranty rather than a 25 years warranty. It applies only to the original owner, it is for "new" binoculars, and it covers only defects in materials and workmanship. I could not find anything on the previous No Fault Policy.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_...tting-Scope_No_Electronic-warranty-sample.pdf

So, am I correct to assume this means there is no longer a no fault policy and one can no longer sell a used Nikon binocular to someone and still have a warranty to go along with it? Looks that way! If Pileatus is right and a policy can be revoked at will by the manufacturer, then to me, that diminishes the resale value of Nikon binoculars. The "Warranty", be it the previous 25 year or the new lifetime, applies only to the original purchaser. It looks like any used buyer is without warranty coverage.

Looks like it is time to ask Nikon about the status of the No Fault Policy. If I have a Nikon account I will ask them. (Edit: Found my account and sent a msg asking about the No-Fault Policy Status. Will post a follow-up if I hear back.)

Below is an image of the pdf file linked above. I recently purchased a Monarch 7 8X30 and the warranty document that was in the box is the same as in the pdf file, but in the bottom right corner, the reference code is WULTN-R (1402V1) rather than (XXXX) XXXX-XXXX.

Bruce,

It seems to say, in a different way of saying it, the same thing that the warranty on my 10x32 EDG II says! If you know what I'm saying.:smoke::h?:

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back