• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (5 Viewers)

A pretty good morning. A little overcast starting off but quite sunny by lunchtime and quite warm with no wind.

Starting of from the car park I headed along the cycleway. Wren, Dunnock, Robin and Yellowhammer singing along the way. A few Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch by Cloff Bridge but not many.

The bridge is still under construction - another week maybe. The workmen haven't seen many birds. They mentioned the Little Owl are a daily sighting when they arrive.

Very little along Claxton Beck towards the hill though a lady mentioned the Kestrel have been displaying around the pylon where they nested last year.

On reaching the old hide I heard a 'yaffling' Green Woodpecker call from Faith Wood direction and calling again as I headed over that way. It must have been coming towards me as calling a third tiime it flew by along the ridge by the dragonfly pools heading south along Cowbridge Beck. I followed the beck but didn't relocate it. Best sighting of the year so far for me as it's a few years - 2005 - since I last saw one here.

I then back tracked to the pond to the benches by the railway line. Fewer ducks than my last visit though and extra Goldeneye with 3m and 1f. Gadwall, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe x2, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen plus the Mute Swan pair.

The Sparrowhawk was sat in it's usual tree. Magpie, Reed Bunting, Dunnock and Robin were in the bushes by the benches and a Skylark singing across the railway.

Back to the car park and feeding station which was very busy compared to my last few visits. Even the GSW dropped in as did Goldfinch x3 to one of the tables. Barely 10 mins went by without a Treecreeper being present. Strangely just one LTT on it's own.

Just I was leaving a Sprrowhawk was soaring over the car park gradually heading south when a Crow repeatedly mobbed it - more accurately they mobbed each other as the Sparrowhawk gave as good as it got.

Attachments

• IMG_7081 copybo.JPG
    IMG_7081 copybo.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7261ao.JPG
    IMG_7261ao.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7490ao.JPG
    IMG_7490ao.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7612ao.JPG
    IMG_7612ao.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7641ao.JPG
    IMG_7641ao.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 65
First visit since we returned from spending a week in the Lake District. Bright and sunny this morning but still with some strong cold winds though quie warm in sheltered areas.

All in all a pretty average visit today.

Last week we saw a couple of Chiffchaff and Sand Martin and the odd one has been reported in this area as well but no sign today.

Starting of from the car park I headed north along the boardwalk and through Faith Wood and over to the cycleway. Very few birds seen or heard. most notable were the Goldfinch with around 20 in Faith Wood and 50+ along the cycleway. Other than them just a few Chaffinch, Wren and the odd Yellowhammer.

Work ongoing stillat Cloff Bridge with fencing being installed on either side though access over the bridge itself is open now.

No sign of any owls today.

Little else seen heading back and down Claxton Beck to the main pond.

Quite a few birds around on the pond though nothing new. Looks like two lots of Little Grebe paired up on opposite ends of the pond. A single male Goldeneye and just one Sparrowhawk seen today. Others present - Mute Swan x2, Shoveler c.8, Pochard c.10, Tufted Duck c.10, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot and Gadwall x2. LBB Gull x2 on the water. Magpie x5 and Robin, Reed Bunting, Dunnock, Goldfinch and Wren in the surrounding bushes.

The feeding station looks closed down now. The hanging feeders have been removed but the tables are still there with a little food on them. Numbers of birds were low but a steady stream still - Yellowhammer x5, Tree Sparrow c.5, Dunnock, Robin, Greenfinch x2, Chaffinch c.10, Great Tit, Blue Tit. Goldfinch and a GSW were in the trees above but didn't visit the feeders likewise a Magpie. Several Crows sat in the trees by the car park.

Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Dunnock and tits on the car park tables.

Attachments

• IMG_1584ao.JPG
    IMG_1584ao.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1616ao.JPG
    IMG_1616ao.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1634ao.JPG
    IMG_1634ao.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1807aoo.JPG
    IMG_1807aoo.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1898ao.JPG
    IMG_1898ao.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 38
Hiya Ian - good to see you're still flying the flag for the "Local Patch" :t:

Was down Saltholme area yeterday - farcical gale-force conditions. THe birds had more sense than me. Indeed took me a while to locate Avocet as they were well hidden (Greenabella Marsh pool).

Never actually made Cowpen Bewley - will do next time as it is good to stretch the legs and check out the pond.

Hope you're well.
Steve

Hiya Ian - good to see you're still flying the flag for the "Local Patch" :t:

Was down Saltholme area yeterday - farcical gale-force conditions. THe birds had more sense than me. Indeed took me a while to locate Avocet as they were well hidden (Greenabella Marsh pool).

Never actually made Cowpen Bewley - will do next time as it is good to stretch the legs and check out the pond.

Hope you're well.
Steve

'Ships in the night' Steve! I was at RSPB Saltholme for most of the afternoon and had a look along to the Creek and Seaton Common but didn't go for a wander. The winds were a little 'brisk' but much better today. Let me know when you're coming down again and maybe we can meet up again :t:

A late morning visit today - 10.30-12.30am - hoping for a Chiffchaff after hearing a couple at Tilery Wood an hour earlier.

Bright and sunny and thank goodness next no wind at all. Quite a heavy frost overnight with the puddles frozen over but the ponds were ice free still.

Still pretty quiet everywhere. Car park feeders held Yellowhammer, Dunnock and Reed Bunting when I arrived. Peanuts and seed were in the feeding station but I put out some more and some fat balls. Nothing new there at that time.

The only birds between the car park and main pond following the hedge by the visitor centre were a single Song Thrush and half a dozen LBB Gull overhead. On reaching the pond though the first alder tree held Goldfinch x7 and two Magpies were a little further along.

There seemed to be a few more Tufted Duck around and the rest were pretty much the same as my last visit though both male and female Goldeneye today. A Sparrowhawk flew from the dead tree along the west and north side of the pond.

Very quiet walking along the beck to the cycleway. Nothing seen other than a few Goldfinch and a Reed Bunting.

It was nice to see a Little Owl sat sunning in it's usual roost tree by the beck.

Heading back along the cycleway Goldfinch c.30 sat in the hedge by the stubble patch plus a few tits and Chaffinch.

Calling back at the feeding station it was still quite busy with at least a few birds always present. Best sighting though was a Chiffchaff that flew in and sat preening itself in the sun before flying into the bushes behind. No singing as such - I think it's forgot the words as they were more peeps and chirps than 'chiff-chaff' ;) Other birds present - LTTx1, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow c.12, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Magpie, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Goldfinch.

Attachments

• IMG_3417ao.JPG
    IMG_3417ao.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3362ao.JPG
    IMG_3362ao.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3311ao.JPG
    IMG_3311ao.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3257ao.JPG
    IMG_3257ao.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3245ao.JPG
    IMG_3245ao.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 46
I like the 'bad' behavioral shot ;).
I always wondered whether the tuft actually serves a purpose. How thoughtful of evolution to provide something for your felloes to grab hold of when your sinking :-O

A lovely warm sunny morning to be out.

Highlights were -

Mistle Thrush x2 in trees above car park entrance starting off.

Little Owl x1 along cycleway.

Canada Goose x2 and Goldeneye male x1 on main pond.

Kingfisher heading up Claxton Beck.

A bow wave in one of the pools caught my eye and I got all excited thinking it was an otter but it turned to be 10" brown trout swimming up Claxton Beck. It was about low tide and plenty of shallows where it had to wriggle over the stones. Still a great sight to see considering this was once a very polluted beck.

Kestrel x4.

Sparrowhawk x3

Meadow Pipit c.20 by railway line plus a few singing Skylark.

Pied Wagtail flock c.40 on field being tilled/seeded by Cloff Bridge with c.8 White Wagail. Also Goldfinch c.30, Linnet c.30 and a Kestrel stooping from pylon to catch mice immediately below and taking to fence post to eat - four times whilst I was there.

Chiffchaff x2 - one by Cloff Bridge and one by the old hide.

Still activity at the car park feeders and in the feeding station with Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Reed Bunting, Tree Sparrow, Robin, Blue Tit and Great Tit.

Also a few butterflies around - Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_4444bo.JPG
    IMG_4444bo.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4475ao.JPG
    IMG_4475ao.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4651ao.JPG
    IMG_4651ao.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4873ao.JPG
    IMG_4873ao.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4237aoo.JPG
    IMG_4237aoo.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 31
Had a quick visit this afternoon, I noticed the geese on the island of the main pond too, one of them was definately nest building! Much the same today as you saw Ian, with the exception of the SPHawk, Kestrel, oh, and the trout!
Lots of hoverflies, midge, and 2 pair of small tortoiseshell.

Attachments

• IMG_0240a.jpg
    IMG_0240a.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0288a.JPG
    IMG_0288a.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 40
First visit in over a week. Too wet and in particular windy through the week. Bright but overcast starting off today but clearing to sunshine later.

Main feature of the day were Willow Warbler. Loads of them around the old hide on the main pond. Within 50m of the hide I counted 27 of them but including the rest of the site probably up to around 40. There must have been a big influx overnight. Whenever one started singing it was chased away by 3-4 others.

A few other battles going on today as well. Looks like Ray is right and the pair of Canada Geese are sticking around and attempting to breed again. Main drawback thoguh are the Mute Swan - also nesting now but won't leave the geese alone. It's a wonder the male doesn't drop dead from exhaustion - they must be a right old age now. 20 years old was suggested by one local birder.

By the old hide two pairs of Little Grebe were repeatedly battling as well.

Other birds on the pond included Pochard, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. No sign of any Goldeneye.

The reeds and bushes around the pond held severl Wren, Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Robin, Chafifnch and the Willow Warbler. Just one Chiffchaff heard here. A male Blackcap was singing merrily in it's usual nesting area by the old hide.

Still quite a few Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Greenfinch by the pylon near the cycleway feeding in the recently tilled field. Plus another singing Blackcap near by.

The feeding station was pretty quiet but still a few Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch and Robin coming in.

The car park tabls held Tree Sparrow c.20, Yellowhammer, tits but it was great to see a female Blackcap on the tables as well.

All in all 5-6 Chiffchaff heard though I didn't get along to Faith Wood today which can be good for Warblers and Blackcap as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8732ao.JPG
    IMG_8732ao.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8643aoo.JPG
    IMG_8643aoo.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8533ao.JPG
    IMG_8533ao.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8574ao.JPG
    IMG_8574ao.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8755ao.JPG
    IMG_8755ao.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 32
A revisit this morning. Pretty overcast and quite chilly but it remained fine.

First Swallow here over the car park ponds when I arrived. Another over the main pond. Neither hung around for very long.

Several Song Thrush around today including one in the trees above the car park. One mimicing a mobile phone and the other a Curlew.

Pair of Bullfinch along the cycleway by the sewage works gates.

Only 12 Willow Warbler counted today well spread out around the park and all of them singing. Chiffchaff x5 heard.

Much the same as yesterday on the main pond but with the addition of a pair of Shoveler, Pochard and overflights of several Shelduck. Lots of birds moving around this morning with Gadwall, Mallard and 30-40 Canada Goose.

Just three Yellowhammer seen/heard.

Two additional Blackcap singing. One by the west foot entrance to the park off the A1185 and another by Faith Wood/sewage works fence.

Meadow Pipit and Skylark displaying by the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_8202ao.JPG
    IMG_8202ao.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8208ao.JPG
    IMG_8208ao.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8215ao.JPG
    IMG_8215ao.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8275ao.JPG
    IMG_8275ao.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8889ao.JPG
    IMG_8889ao.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 26
Pretty overcast and dull this morning but with light winds it felt pretty mild. A shame it wasn't until I got back home that the sun came out!:C

Song Thrush in the car park trees again when arrived. Also four Canada Goose flying east plus a Heron and a Curlew. Reed Bunting, Wren and Tree Sparrows around the car park.

The hedge up to the railway by the activity center held Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Song Thrush, Willow Warbler and a few Blue Tit and Great Tit. The alders held several Willow Warbler, a Chiffchaff and several Goldfinch. Alongside the railway a single Yellowhammer plus Skylark singing and Meadow Pipit.

The main pond was pretty much the same as my last couple of visits. Nothing new and nothing missing.

Blackcap and Wren were by the old hide still.

Little along Claxton Beck apart from several Willow Warbler at the start by the bridge and at the end by the cycleway other than a few Goldfinch, Pheasant x2 and a Kestrel. Another Blackcap was singing by the cycleway.

The Little Owl was sat in it's tree by the gate.

Heading back along the cycleway I turned right at Cowbridge Beck where another Blackcap and a Wren were singing. Several Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff singing.

Quite a commotion in the field-side trees with four GSW in two pairs chasing each other about. Two kept returning to the trees where I was stood where eventually they mated. Another Blackcap calling here and another one 100m further on.

Whilst stood on one of the footbridges waiting for a Blackcap to appear a Chiffchaff landed on the parapet a few inches from my hand before hopping into the bush alongside the bridge. Another pair of Bullfinch feeding by the same bridge.

Another Blackcap singing by the A1185 - six in total heard/seen this visit.

Attachments

• IMG_0014ao.JPG
    IMG_0014ao.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9747aoo.JPG
    IMG_9747aoo.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9828ao.JPG
    IMG_9828ao.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9901co.JPG
    IMG_9901co.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9932ao.JPG
    IMG_9932ao.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 43
Hi, Ian.

I visited Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park for an hour on Monday. Not really a birding visit as such. I'd been out with my daughter and we just called in to give the dog a walk before we went home. There were a couple of lesser black-backed gulls on the pond. Just thought I'd mention it in case you keep a year list of sightings.

Regards,

Malcolm

pair of bullfinch, reed bunting, yellowhammer, blue and great tit along with a few chaffinch in the feeding station, greenfinch in carpark feeding tables. 3 willow warbler in faith wood. pond devoid of anything but tufties and gulls on my visit last sunday. was hoping to see little owl but no luck (although knowing where to look would be of benefit just check most trees and cross fingers lol) a fair quiet visit bird wise but not people and children wise !

A late posting from my visit on Monday... (PC issues > DOS v5 still playing up :) )

Arrived about 9am with the car park empty, a fair cacophony of noise from the car park bushes and what sounded like all across the park.

Only a single swan on the pond, later while talking to a couple they said that they had heard from one of the wardens that one of the swans had been killed a few days earlier allegedly by youths with sticks and dogs, didnt see any of the wardens to allow me to confirm that or not.

In the reeds to the right of the small bridge leading up to the centre was a single reed bunting singing its heart out. Blue tit and great tit in the bushes a bit further up the path.
Approaching the railway was a song thrush at the top of the tallest tree. The railway bushes had 2 * yellowhammer, 1 * chaffinch, 2 * blue and 1 * great tit, 4 * goldfinch. At least 2 skylark competing for attention.

On the lake: 2 * canada geese, 9 * mallard, 14 * tufted duck, coot and moorhen and a few pochard and shovelers on the far side.

North end of lake: willow warbler, chaffinch, robin, wren, and my first blackcap on this site [this year] (had one in our garden the week before!)

Scrapes: several mallard asleep, 3 * rabbits, another wren, 3 * willow warbler, song thrush.

back at the feeding station it was pretty quiet, with what could have been either a young robin (or a lazy one!) being fed by another while stood in the middle of the seeds!
more yellowhammer, chaffinch, blue, great tit, dunnock

getting more insects across the park now, what seemed like millions of midge (need to dig out the repellent) a few painted ladies, small white, a single peacock, and a few more tortoiseshell.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 41
Looks like you fell lucky with the weather Ray :t:

A shame though to hear about the Swan - especially as the car park ponds pair were the only ones to produce offspring the last few years.

MalR said:
Hi, Ian.

I visited Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park for an hour on Monday. Not really a birding visit as such. I'd been out with my daughter and we just called in to give the dog a walk before we went home. There were a couple of lesser black-backed gulls on the pond. Just thought I'd mention it in case you keep a year list of sightings.

Regards,

Malcolm

Thanks for that Malcolm. There been a good selection of gulls around. Must admit I usualy miss them off the sightings unless something unusual turns up. Last winter we had Little Gull and Med. Gull but none this year - though Glaucous and Iceland were seen very close by.

A lovely sunny afternoon for a wander around. Spoilt a little with it being a Sunday afternoon and the car park overflowing so loads of people around.

Nothing of particular note around really. Willow Warbler have spread everywhere and were singing as were Blackcap x4. A few Chiffchaff calling. A pair of Bullfinch in Faith Wood. A Cormorant on the main pond.

Most notable were the butterflies with several Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Small White and a single Speckled Wood which looked very pale/worn.

Attachments

• IMG_2271ao.JPG
    IMG_2271ao.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2318ao.JPG
    IMG_2318ao.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2492ao.JPG
    IMG_2492ao.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2482ao.JPG
    IMG_2482ao.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2485ao.JPG
    IMG_2485ao.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 41
Another sunny morning with just light though still cold winds.

Warblers were the highlight of the day. Willow Warbler everywhere now with Blackcap well spread out as well with nearly 20 counted today. Still just a few Chiffchaff.

Best bird of the day was Lesser Whitethroat with two in the bushes alongside the railway line behind the main pond about 200m apart. Almost as good was Common Whitethroat with three singing males one of which was nest building as well.

Worthy of mention were the Bullfinch with nine well scattered around.

Two Swallow seen, several Goldfinch and just one Yellowhammer seen and heard likewise Skylark.

Loads of butterflies out today with several each of Speckled Wood, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_3554ao.JPG
    IMG_3554ao.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3571bo.JPG
    IMG_3571bo.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3680ao.JPG
    IMG_3680ao.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3944ao.JPG
    IMG_3944ao.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3773ao.JPG
    IMG_3773ao.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 45
A revisit this morning. Bright and sunny on an off but a fiar bit of high cloud and the cold breeze still.

Bird of the day was Sedge Warbler with several spread along Cow Bridge Beck and Claxton Beck. The odd one in display flight as well.

Birds singing everywhere around the park. Highlights were -

Sedge Warbler x7, Common Whitethroat x7, Lesser Whitethroat x1, Blackcap 15+, Shelduck x8, Heron x1, Cormorant x2, Willow Warbler c.12, Chiffchaff x1.

A few birds still using the feeding station - Dunnock, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Blackbird.

Quite a few butterflies around - Speckled Wood c.20, Orange Tip x3, Peacock x4, Small Tortoiseshell, Small White 12+.

Attachments

• IMG_5664ao.JPG
    IMG_5664ao.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5747ao.JPG
    IMG_5747ao.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5687ao.JPG
    IMG_5687ao.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5838ao.JPG
    IMG_5838ao.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5782ao.JPG
    IMG_5782ao.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 43
I did the first BTO Breeding Birds survey this morning. Not ideal weather with patchy high blanket cloud first thing but at least it was fine and quite mild.

The main highlight was Grasshopper Warbler. Two of them singing on the side of the hill 50m NW of the brick viewpoint. The second one was 40m further down the slope towards the beck. A pair of Common Whitethroat nest building there as well.

Other birds seen were pretty much the same as the last few visits. Loads of Whitethroat, Blackcap and Willow Warbler singing and several Song Thrush and Sedge Warbler.

Attachments

• IMG_6709ao.JPG
    IMG_6709ao.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6737ao.JPG
    IMG_6737ao.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6727aoo.JPG
    IMG_6727aoo.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6675ao.JPG
    IMG_6675ao.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6651ao.JPG
    IMG_6651ao.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 42
A revisit around lunchtime today. Pretty dull and cloudy but occasionally a little brighter.

Song Thrush belting out it's song in the trees above the car park. Reed Bunting singing and nest building still by the pond just north of the car park. Several Swallow overhead around the car park and several Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler along Cowbridge Beck. On crossing the bridge by Claxton Beck a Sedge Warbler was still singing and in display flight. It was calling in competition with two Whitethroat and a Blackcap.

100m downstream and another Whitethroat and singing Blackcap posing for photos. Whilst watching them a Grasshopper Warbler was calling from bushes further up the hillside. On walking up the hill both were rpesent in the same places as yesterday still.

On to the main pond which held much the same birds though a few more Coot and Tufted Duck. Highlight was a Kingfisher seen twice carrying food across the pond rather than eating it. Whislt waiting it to reappear a pair of House Martin and a pair of Swallow were feeding over the pond.

I had intended heading back to the car park from there but after seeing the Kingfisher I wondered if there was any activity by the nest they used/abandoned last year. There wasn't any sign of use at all so hopefully they've found another location less prone to disturbance.

Along the beck three Kestrel were present with one taking food up to a pylon.

Quite a spectacle along the cycleway heading back to the car park with around dozen male Orange Tip butterflies over a 20m stretch and several females plus Small Tortoiseshell and a few Speckled Wood.

By the sewage works two male Blackcap singing. There seems to be lots of the about this year.

Attachments

• IMG_6966ao.JPG
    IMG_6966ao.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6974ao.JPG
    IMG_6974ao.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7048ao.JPG
    IMG_7048ao.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7055ao.JPG
    IMG_7055ao.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7093ao.JPG
    IMG_7093ao.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back