• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma or Tamron... ?? (1 Viewer)

advid

...I've been saving my pennies and now want to buy a 'decent' lens....

I'm split between a S/H (MINT) Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO MACRO (with TC1.4)

OR - a brand NEW Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3

would the Sigma prime be better/sharper/faster ???

Don't know much about the Sigma, ( Prime lense - should be a good one )- but i own a Tamron 200-500 ( bought it brand new ). It is a cracking good lense with excellent results . It has it's flaws ( hunts in low light conditions, no HSM- thus a bit noisy ) but it's one great lense for it's price.It is tack sharp at all focal range, no CA and most important - it is light enough to shoot hand held .

Take a look at MY GALLERY to get an impression of the lense's capabilities.

I also have the Tamron lens which i purchased about 2 weeks ago. I am really pleased with it, as Doc says it is light enough to hand hold and get good shots. Also i do alot of walking and carrying the camera with the lens on all day was no problem. It seems to manage very well in our fickle English weather. Have a look at my Gallery if you want to see some beginners photos.

First experience: very good!

advid said:
...a brand NEW Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3

Hi,
my Tamron has just arrived (1,000 shots during the weekend!) ... it's pretty sharp with good light at all focal lengths (I didn't need to stop it down ... perhaps because it was sunny), AF works well indeed (with flyers ... mmh, had to use MF, but perhaps it's because I'm just an apprentice), not a problem if hand-held (better using a monopod though), easy to carry (zoom lock at 200mm is very useful) just need to learn how to ... I'll post asap a few shots ...
Definitely I'm very glad of it, I hope to learn to use it efficiently
Max

I'm another Tamron user. I've found the lens gives very good results, hand held, in good light. I've never used the Sigma so I couldn't comment on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back