• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buyuk Camlica, Istanbul 29/9 (1 Viewer)

norwichbirder87

I'm currently on holiday in Istanbul with the girlfriend and another couple. Whilst a non-birding holiday, after a couple of days of rain, I was allowed an hour or so at Buyuk Camlica at noon today (the views were enough to entertain them for this long). The taxi up from Kadikoy cost 23 lira (about £7) and hell was it worth it:

In one hour:

c3000 Lesser Spotted Eagle (I'd never seen one before)
c80 Steppe Buzzard
1 Short-toed Eagle
19 Black Stork
2+ Hobby
4 Sparrowhawk

The bushes were full of Redstarts and Lesser Whitethroats (probably lots more but I was a bit distracted by the above) and huge numbers of Chaffinches and White Wagtails were passing at eye level. A big thank you to the birder who let me look through his scope- I was only allowed to bring bins.

Elsewhere around Istanbul in the last few days, the skies have been full of Alpine and Pallid Swifts, Gulhane Park has always had a Red-breasted Flycatcher or two and Little Gulls and Yelkouan Shearwaters on the Bosphorus.

Will

Spent the day on Buyukada of the Princes' Islands today. Does anyone know the status of Eleonora's Falcons here? I had two birds which I'm sure were this species high overhead but they were difficult to clinch.

Otherwise, loads of Blackcaps and Willow Warblers and a lone Bee-eater were the highlights.

Will

Büyükada has a breeding population of Eastern Subalpine Warblers as far as I know, so you might wanna check them out (assuming they didn't leave yet).
I don't know how restricted your schedule is but if you have an hour or two you can go to Belgrad Forest for Green, Grey-headed, Great Spotted, Middle Spotted and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Short-toed Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Blue-Great-Marsh Tits and Common Chaffinches.
Büyükçekmece Lake is also good for waterfowl but I don't know much about it's current situation.
Have a nice time!

Ha, thanks Nutcracker. I perhaps use the "allowed" as more of a turn of phrase than a true indication of things. The girlfriend's very tolerant really. My scope would not have been practical on this holiday at all- especially as we didn't check any luggage in (cash-strapped twenty-something's).

Flying back tonight so will save your tips for next time kuzeycem. Thanks.

Would still appreciate an answer re Eleonora's falcons on Buyukada if anyone knows?

Will

Thanks Paul. Home now and had a chance to consult literature and I'm now certain they were Eleonora's.

Having checked out of our apartment we spent most of yesterday relaxing with our bags in Moda Park, a little green slither by the mouth of the Bosphorus. Conveniently there had been a bit of a fall.

c300 Willow Warbler (conservative estimate, they were everywhere)
c20 Blackcap
c10 Lesser Whitethroat
2+ Red-breasted Flycatcher
1 Redstart
2 Sedge Warbler

Overhead:

6+ Short-toed Eagle
2 Steppe Buzzard
61 Black Stork

Without wanting to go OT too much but also not really wanting to start a new thread just for this Q (so hope you don't mind too much Will) :

My wife and I will be in Istanbul for around 10 days from ca. 13th to 23rd December (before moving onto Valencia). Any tips on species/locations would be greatly appreciated for someone who spends the vast majority of his time in Asia !

Cheers
Kevin

Without wanting to go OT too much but also not really wanting to start a new thread just for this Q (so hope you don't mind too much Will) :

My wife and I will be in Istanbul for around 10 days from ca. 13th to 23rd December (before moving onto Valencia). Any tips on species/locations would be greatly appreciated for someone who spends the vast majority of his time in Asia !

Cheers
Kevin

Hi Kevin;

December is not the best time to bird in Istanbul as migrants will be long gone and many winter species would still be uncommon.
However, as I advised earlier, you could go to Belgrad Forest for some European passerines, especially woodpeckers, treecreepers and tits.
Büyükçekmece Lake and Ormanlı are also good and usually host a nice selection of waterfowl and waders. If you're lucky you might find a goodie like Red-breasted Goose or Greater Scaup.
Karaburun also good for waders and gulls, as well as skuas.
Rumelifeneri, although far away from the city center, is a good place to look for rarities. Birds like Siberian Accentor and Lapland Longspur have been seen in the area.
If you dare to go further north to the İğneada near the Bulgarian border, however, you will have a very good chance of finding a good bird.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back