• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nevada and California 17th Aug to 5th Sept (1 Viewer)

we saw probable

Wot no Bobcat? I thought they were unmissable at Point Reyes!

John

I claimed one we saw while driving but Sarah said it may have been a big domestic cat from one of the farms so we didn't count it. I was going to make some enquiries on domestic cat / Bobcat look alikes in the area but haven't got round to it yet.

I claimed one we saw while driving but Sarah said it may have been a big domestic cat from one of the farms so we didn't count it. I was going to make some enquiries on domestic cat / Bobcat look alikes in the area but haven't got round to it yet.

A big domestic cat with two-thirds of its tail missing? That farmer's wife has been laying about her again!

John

Escape to Alcatraz

After really successful day at Point Reyes we decided to finish off with a meal in China Town, fortunately parking was really easy on Sunday evening, and we found a really packed little Chinese place with great food, (the Panda) don’t be put off by appearances and do experience a trip to the restrooms via the kitchen and prep areas where you inch past cleavers chopping fish and chicken.

As mentioned in last post I claimed a Bobcat sighting but Sarah said not sure, on basis of exchange with John it is now going on the trip list.

Next day we drove to Fort Mason to park, we later found we could have parked for free by showing National Park entrance card from Yosemite which was still in date. We paid $10 and got bus to Fisherman’s Wharf 25th, Breakfast at Pier 39 and walk to Pier 33 by, 10.10 where Alcatraz trip departed at 10.30 depart Pier 33. You can return on any Ferry so we had bought some crisps to accompany the Salt and Pepper Chicken that we had boxed last night. I wasn’t that up for Alcatraz but the audio tour was really quite engrossing and the birding wasn’t to be sneezed at. The obvious birds are Western Gull, Common Guillemot (murre) these were everywhere, Thick-billed Murre, Pigeon Guillemot and House Sparrow but then we got the scope on another Murrelet but this looked slightly different to yesterday's and after studying against the field guide against also some zoomed in photos we had Kittlitz’s Murrelet (another lifer). That was almost it for birding Alcatraz but on the way back we had a flyover Bald Eagle.
We then headed to Lands End and Sutro Heights, the beach held Long-billed Curlew, Marbled Wimbrel and new for Sarah a Black Turnstone. I was then pretty sure that I had scoped Surfbird on a distant part of the rocky shore but couldn’t rule out Purple or Rock Sandpiper on distant view so we walked down the last flight of stairs and across the little wall towards the beach only for a little girl to chase all the birds before we had got there, I wasn’t happy as Surfbird was on most wanted list.

Attachments

• A avocet at dusk.JPG
    A avocet at dusk.JPG
    853.9 KB · Views: 36
  • California Gull.JPG
    California Gull.JPG
    605.4 KB · Views: 40
  • brewers blackbird.JPG
    brewers blackbird.JPG
    780 KB · Views: 39
  • entrance road corn creek.JPG
    entrance road corn creek.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 36
  • night heron on reflection.JPG
    night heron on reflection.JPG
    859.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Based on my 'extensive' experience (i.e. two trips :-O ) of California, Bobcats are pretty likely anywhere in the State - at scattered localities, saw two on both trips (but I did not visit Point Reyes).

I got one quite randomly, and I know a couple of other guys that did as well: Bobcat must be fairly common throughout the state.

John

Signs of bobcats

There were clear signs scat and tracks at Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Elkhorn Slough, Big Morongo and Tijuna Estuary but only sighting now agreed was at Point Reyes.
I actually called it as a Bobcat at the time when it walked across the road and into the field but I couldn't follow the cat as it walked on as I was driving but I mentioned the tail. On John's post I mentioned again to Sarah the short tail, and how we hadn't followed up the sighting and after looking at some pics she agreed it was indeed a Bobcat and not a large doemstic cat with a short tail.

There were clear signs scat and tracks at Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Elkhorn Slough, Big Morongo and Tijuna Estuary but only sighting now agreed was at Point Reyes.
I actually called it as a Bobcat at the time when it walked across the road and into the field but I couldn't follow the cat as it walked on as I was driving but I mentioned the tail. On John's post I mentioned again to Sarah the short tail, and how we hadn't followed up the sighting and after looking at some pics she agreed it was indeed a Bobcat and not a large doemstic cat with a short tail.

XLNT!

John

Thick-billed Murre, Pigeon Guillemot and House Sparrow but then we got the scope on another Murrelet but this looked slightly different to yesterday's and after studying against the field guide against also some zoomed in photos we had Kittlitz’s Murrelet (another lifer).

I am enjoying your report; it is remarkable how much you have seen in a short time. If you have photos of the Thick-billed Murre or Kittletz's Murrelet you should submit them to the California Bird Records Committee; both of those are exceeding rare in the state.

Records

I am enjoying your report; it is remarkable how much you have seen in a short time. If you have photos of the Thick-billed Murre or Kittletz's Murrelet you should submit them to the California Bird Records Committee; both of those are exceeding rare in the state.

I am very familar with Thick-billed Murre (Brunich's Guillemot), seen many thousands just last year so didn't make any notes or take any photos of this bird.
I have already agreed to look at images of Kittletz's Murrelet and dig out my notes and submit to Records Committee assuming ID is confirmed when I do so.

Trip to Monterey

Another early start with plan to get breakfast on the way. First problem is we now have driven past San Jose and haven’t seen any suitable stop off point either local eateries or fast food places, so we pull into a small town that seems to be completely closed apart from one Mexican supermarket, we buy a strange assortment of food and drink to give us some energy for now and cover lunch and get on our way.
First proper stop today is Zmudowski Beach road as you approach the beach has lots of private property signs and the bit as you reach the fresh water pond is severely rutted we saw one group give up in a Saloon car, even though we were in a an SUV we decided to part before the beach car park.
Birding here was very good, first birds seen were Great Blue Heron and White Pelican, and then thousands of goldfinches took off from the nearby field, as a very close Northern Harrier took a close look at the grass, waterbirds were mainly mallards and coots but we did pick out an American Coot, Northern Shovler and a Pied Billed Grebe. We then saw a nice group of Elegant Terns come in to do some fishing; these were quickly followed by an Osprey. Only other birds of note were Red-winged and Brewers Blackbirds.
It was then off to the Jetty Road at Moss Landing, I had high hopes of this place based on various recommendations, not sooner had we reached the water than a stopped and pointed out to Sarah a very relaxed Sea-otter, this was main target here, we were able to pull over to the side and watch the otter playing and eating some kelp when on his back from less than 10 feet away, I had hoped for close sightings but hadn’t raised hopes too high. After a few minutes when a family pulled up alongside us the Otter decided to swim through the sluice pipe and emerged in the main pool. The tide and sun wasn’t brilliant for close up views of waders but we did get pretty good views of Long-billed Curlew, Marbled Godwit, Willet, Black-bellied(great) Plover, Least and Western Sandpiper before we drove round to the main car park. Here we could see the large number of California Sea-lions on the restaurant pier and four more distant Sea-Otter, as well as both Elegant and Forsters Tern; on the recommendation of a couple who used to live near here we decide to look for whales and dolphins from the beach, within 10 minutes we had a spout from a Humpback and then a good fluke view, that we hope is positive sign for our Ocean trip tomorrow, only seabirds are some distant Sooty Shearwaters. We then decided to drive around to take a closer look and smell of the Sea-Lions as they played musical chairs on the two platforms.
Doesn’t time fly when you are enjoying youself after a few nibbles of our cheese, ham and crackers we decided it was time to get to Monterey and check in. After an uneventful check-in we went to the Fisherman’s Wharf to check where we were boarding tomorrow, we were going on the morning Monterey Bay Whale Watch as we had missed the chance of a full day birding pelagic as we weren’t here on the right day. We picked this one as it was longest whale watch and was said to go furthest out. When we turned up with our bins, the guys said oh you are birders we have a few birders out tomorrow as we spotted a Hawaian Petrel on our morning trip yesterday which the birding guys didn’t see. The guy who photographed / spotted it Peter Dunne I think was going out again tomorrow, so that was something else to look for.
For rest of the afternoon we were heading out to MoonGlow Dairy on Dolan Road near the power station.
A really good birding spot after you get over the smell of the cows. We quickly saw Violet Green Swallow(new for S). Barn Swallow, California Towhee, Chestnut backed Chickadee and large numbers of European Starling on the muddy scrape were some Killdeer, a Red-necked Phalarope, Greater Yellowlegs and American Golden Plover, while in the air and later perched was a Coopers Hawk and Osprey and Turkey Vulture.
Through the scope we added further Long-billed Curlew, Marbled Godwit, Willet and American Avocet.
After a bit of a walk we decided to head back about 19.00 and were a little worried when the gate was closed, but we need not have worried as it opened automatically to let us out, from a later drive past it seems to close between 18.00 and 18.30.

Attachments

• sea otter on back.JPG
    sea otter on back.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 48
  • sea otter swimming.JPG
    sea otter swimming.JPG
    915 KB · Views: 37
  • sparrow species juv point reyes.JPG
    sparrow species juv point reyes.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 49
  • yos view1.JPG
    yos view1.JPG
    810.5 KB · Views: 50
  • nashville warbler.JPG
    nashville warbler.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi there, I am glad you had a great birding trip to California! It is a nice place to bird, eat and drink. As a local here I should mention that there are various way out of range birds in the report that are likely mis-identifications, which is not unusual when one is traveling out of your geographic area of expertise. Focusing on Alcatraz, Kittlitz's Murrelet has never been seen in California for example. Even Thick-billed Murre is an extreme vagrant here. While Bald Eagle is not rare overall, at that location it also would be. You did mention you had photos of the murrelet, if you can post those we can figure out what you saw. If it was a Kittlitz...you have made birding history and I will buy you a beer next time you are down here. Alvaro.

Struggling to find photos

Hi there, Focusing on Alcatraz, Kittlitz's Murrelet has never been seen in California for example. Even Thick-billed Murre is an extreme vagrant here.

Alvaro

I'm going through the various camera chips trying to find the photos, I know I had two which I took at the time and which helped me ID the bird.

My notes and very poor drawing record a "Non-breeding bird" show the black stopped above the eye, bird had very bright white neck round to the back of the head, collar was incomplete, and I've said "bill looks shorter than Marbled", also "bird was 9"-10" and very stocky "based on comparison with Pigeon Guillemot nearby". "Bird dived repeatedly".

Black above the eye and stocky short bill were what made me decide on Kittlitz's. It also looked very different from Marbled bird we saw earlier in the trip but admittedly that was in eclipse plumage.

"Bird was part of a large Alcid group comprising 250+ Common Guillemot (Murre), 8 Pigeon Guillemot and 1 Brunich's Guillemot all feeding well - they were seen through binoculars and spotting scope from area near Post Exchange"

On finding out earlier that this would be only the second record for California I've tried to look at as many pictures of Marbled and Kittlitz's as I can find to make my self more certain of the ID, but in seeing some photos of paler Marbled non-breeding individuals, I've seen a couple where the black on the head stops at eye and the bill doesn't look that thin. I raised some doubts in myself. Unfortunately there are very few photos of non breeding Kittlitz's to study.

So I'm now no longer 100% certain of correct ID, so unless I find the photos that clinch ID which I'm still hopeful of as I don't think I deleted them. I won't be submitting the record as based on the poor drawing and field notes and my lack of familiarity with the species I would expect it to be rejected.
So I think you can probably save the beer money for now.B :)

David

PS - Sarah would only claim it as Murrelet as that is all she remembers of the bird. So I now need to decide whether to delete from the life list or leave it as a possible

I have no doubt on other ID's as these are birds I'm very familiar with.

Monterey on sea

27th leisurely breakfast at Denny’s then walk to Harbour - Pelagic with Monterey Bay Whale Watch leaves at 9.00am but need to be there by 8.30. There are two boats going out a number of birders including some Brits are trying to get out to see the Hawaiian Petrel. I’m keener on nailing Dark-vented Shearwater and hopeful of getting Black-footed Albatross but weather is dead calm and while that is ideal for Sarah’s seasickness fears it makes it less good for the birds. Anyway we were not on the Sea Wolf which is where the bulk of the birders were but on a slightly smaller boat but we parked our self near the captain who said he would keep an eye out for the Petrel and would get us out far enough to try for Albatross. He was also really good through the trip in asking us are you on Pink-footed / Manx Shearwater, have you seen auklets? So whilst not as good a birding pelagic it was still pretty good and we saw some good birds and had some great whale and dolphin sightings.
It was noticeable before very long that Pelicans and Sooty Shearwater were everywhere, next most common bird was Common Murre, but it wasn’t long before we connected with a few dozen Black-vented Shearwater, then a couple of Pink-footed Shearwater before the captain called out a Manx Shearwater (certainly rarer hear than back home). We then got our first group of Humpbacks around 8 whales were displaying, then a few more nearer to one of the other boats were more active so we moved along it then turned into a bit of dolphin show – we had over 110 Risso Dolphins coming and going over the morning and half a dozen Pacific White-sided to provide some variety. We then went further out to try for bigger whale groups and some more seabirds as we passed Point Pinos the captain pointed out where the Petrel had been seen but despite scanning every seabird to try to find the light coloration of the Hawaiian there was nothing to see (we didn’t check if the other boat got it this day), anyway further out we went and passed a couple of groups of Rhinoceros Auklets (lovely birds which were new for us) and then probably the star of the morning in the absence of the Albatross a delightful Tufted Puffin nearly in full breeding plumage. We then had a whale fest where we had two large groups of whales 10 and 16 breaching and displaying really well with lots of Shearwater, Pelicans, Cormorants and Sea Lions joining in the feeding frenzy. We stayed with the group of 16 whales and managed some real great video and a few good stills. We also spotted two Stellar's Sea-lions (or at least they were pointed out to us) as we passed a buoy. All too soon our 4 and half hours were over and we were having fish and chips on the Wharf.
In total we had 48 Humpbacks, over 110 Risso Dolphins and 6 White-sided Dolphins.
Then we headed to Moss Landing, Elkhorn Slough and Kirby Park

Attachments

• whales 1.JPG
    whales 1.JPG
    812 KB · Views: 47
  • whale 4.JPG
    whale 4.JPG
    823.7 KB · Views: 40
  • sea otters.JPG
    sea otters.JPG
    834.2 KB · Views: 36
  • whale 3.JPG
    whale 3.JPG
    912 KB · Views: 37
  • whale 2.JPG
    whale 2.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Moss Landing and Kirby Park

Then we headed to Moss Landing, Elkhorn Slough and Kirby Park. Nothing really new or significant at Moss Landing, more delightful otters and a Caspian Tern were the highlights, so we headed over to Elkhorn Slough, we arrived about 16.15 only to be told that the gate closes at 17.00 so they offered us free entry but all we had time to do was go to the look-out and have a quick scan around. We saw California Towhee, Barn Swallow, Western Scrub Jay before it was time to leave. We stopped at two recommended turn-offs to scan for waders and did get the looked for Lesser Yellowlegs, some Least Sandpipers, and Red Phalarope. At the second turn-out the local County Sheriff pulled over and suggested it might be safer to get down to Kirby Park and park off the road there. At Kirby Park the main pond by the car park was packed with waders they were predominantly Black-winged Stilts, Red and Wilson’s Phalaropes, Greater Yellowlegs, Marbled Godwit and Willet but then my attention was grabbed by something walking across the grass towards us, Coyote I whispered loudly to Sarah, pointing ahead, unfortunately I think it heard me as it stopped looked at us and then just lay down just where is was rather than trying to get closer to the pool. Anyway we got the Coyote in the scope and took a few record shots but despite waiting until dusk it didn’t move and we had a table booked at the Fisherman’s Grotto on the Wharf at 8.15 (free appetiser cards picked up at lunchtime) so it was time to head back for a quick shower and change.

Attachments

• western scrub jay.JPG
    western scrub jay.JPG
    799.4 KB · Views: 40
  • sage thrasher.JPG
    sage thrasher.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 42
  • northern flicker.JPG
    northern flicker.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 33
  • red phalarope.JPG
    red phalarope.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 34
  • coyote.JPG
    coyote.JPG
    917.1 KB · Views: 42
Pinnacles NP

28th Birdwatching at the Pinnacles today to search for Yellow-billed Magpie and California Condor. As usual we set off before breakfast starts at the hotel. As we got hungry it was light and we stopped at a little place near Gonzales for breakfast. An inspired call, as we took a little side road a California Thrasher wandered off the sidewalk and into the road (we stopped in time to just watch it as it was a first for Sarah), then before we could start off again a Yellow-billed Magpie flew onto a nearby fence and gave us an easy lifer, as I wasn’t sure how hard the magpie would be I was very grateful to the town, even if breakfast pancakes were not amongst the best we sampled.
When we got to Pinnacles NP West Entrance about 8.00 whilst the temperature was still a pretty pleasant 78oF. Having asked a ranger for advice we decided we would walk the Balconies Cliff trail, then West Fork Creek, before coming back through Balconies cave and doing a bit of the Juniper Canyon Trail. The ranger did advise us to take flashlights I took a decent torch while Sarah took her head torch, certainly the best choice when you are scrambling in the cave system. Entrance of $10 gets you access for a week or into other linked parks.
While it was still reasonably cool there was loads of activities, with Acorn Woodpeckers and Oak Titmouse (described by American birders we met as Plain Titmouse) everywhere, we also saw a small party of Bushtits, and some Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher in this area before the trail proper. It was here that we also saw the only other Yellow-billed Magpie of the trip, there were loads of Scrub and Steller’s Jays it seemed almost everywhere perhaps that explains the lack of magpies. Having seen the Magpie the other main target for the day was California Condor, the ranger suggested a wait on the Balconies where he had seen 3 birds recently, so we climbed up seeing only a Black Phoebe on the way and sat and waited. By ten o’clock the thermals must have been good enough as we had our first bird overhead just gliding over Machete Ridge and then around the cliffs behind us. I was too busy enjoying the bird to photograph it but I need not have worried a second Californian Condor followed soon after, I didn’t see a wing tag/transmitter on the first bird but the one we photographed and a subsequent bird had tags. Despite waiting a bit the only other bird we saw was a Turkey Vulture. We then walked along the creek trail and whilst dry it did seem to have more birds, we quickly saw two Wilson Warblers and a California Towhee, and then whilst stopping for the obligatory drink and some fruit we had a Scott’s Oriole and some Goldfinches. After that it got very hot although the thermometer was showing only 930F it felt a lot hotter and bird movement had pretty much ceased. So we decide to try the cave. I have to admit I thought it was just a simple walk through a talus cave made when boulders made a roof over a canyon but there is actually quite a bit of scrambling and a few what felt like tight squeezes through passages when carrying a pack and camera gear plus optics, anyway what we were looking for was Townsend’s Long-eared Bats and we had just about given up at the very end of the cave system when we found a few bats - nice. We were told these are all males as the Females and Young are at the breeding cave at Bear Gulch which is closed to the public at the moment.
We did a bit of the other trail but only found one other bird but that was a lovely Canyon Wren which was a lifer for us.
That was just about it for the day with the only other wildlife being a California Ground Squirrel and then some Towhee’s a Sage Thrasher and a Western Scrub Jay at the drinking fountain where wasps were being attracted to the water and were in turn bring in the birds for a drink and a snack.
Feeling hot and tired we decided to just head back to the hotel and have a swim before going down to the town for a nice Mexican meal.

Attachments

• sage thrasher2.JPG
    sage thrasher2.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Say's Phoebe.JPG
    Say's Phoebe.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 40
  • western bluebird juv.JPG
    western bluebird juv.JPG
    696.8 KB · Views: 36
  • condor.JPG
    condor.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 49
  • rn phalarope.JPG
    rn phalarope.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 45
Phalaropes and Critters

Last picture was Red-necked Phalarope which we saw at sea along with a Red Phalarope (Grey). Picture posted from Kirby park was also Red-necked Phalarope
Sage Thrashers are both from Pinnacles not Moss Landing

HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE

Below are some squirrels and chipmunks which I'm sure to have mis-titled

Attachments

• golden-mantled g squirrel.JPG
    golden-mantled g squirrel.JPG
    685.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Belding's Ground Squirrel.JPG
    Belding's Ground Squirrel.JPG
    899 KB · Views: 40
  • rock squirrel.JPG
    rock squirrel.JPG
    877.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Townsend chipmunk.JPG
    Townsend chipmunk.JPG
    747.4 KB · Views: 39
  • least chipmunk.JPG
    least chipmunk.JPG
    950.4 KB · Views: 39
Last picture was Red-necked Phalarope which we saw at sea along with a Red Phalarope (Grey). Picture posted from Kirby park was also Red-necked Phalarope
Sage Thrashers are both from Pinnacles not Moss Landing

HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE

Below are some squirrels and chipmunks which I'm sure to have mis-titled

1. Golden-mantled Squirrel
2. Not sure, probably Belding's Ground Squirrel
3. California Ground Squirrel
4. Golden-mantled Squirrel
5. Chipmunk - I'd take a wild stab in the dark at Lodgepole but you probably want local or experienced help.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back