• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterwick Hale and Messingham S. Quarry (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi everyone,

My first port of call was Butterwick Hale,in the village of East Butterwick, about four miles south west of Scunthorpe.

Arrived at 08:30 and departed at 10:00. It was sunny and damp underfoot.
There wasn't the usual amount of birds there, but this is what I saw:
Mistle Thrush - 2
Magpie - 1
Reed Bunting - 3 [2 m & 1 f ]
Wood Pigeon - !
C.Crow - 5
Blue Tit - 1
Moorhen - 8
Canada Geese - 2
Greylag " - 47
Blackbird -2
Rook - 1
Mallard - 1
Redshank - 2
Shelduck - 2
Black-headed Gull - 6
Teal - 30
Wigeon - 15
Lapwings
Rabbit - 1

MESSINGHAM SAND QUARRIES 11:00 - 11:30 & 13:45 - 15:15 Sunny and Showers

Only went to try and catch a glimpse of the Firecrest. It seemed that quite a few others had the same idea, with quite a few cars being there. From what I could gather no one had seen it. Went back later and most of the cars had gone. Went to try my luck again, but didn't see it. One thing I did see was 26 Curlew flying north over the car park. So my trip to MSQ was not wasted.

Regards Intellectual.

Thanks intellectual,

I might take a look at Butterwick Hale on my way home from work one day this week.

Is it easy to find/see on a map?

:t:

Hi Birdman,

If your leaving Scunny on the A18 going towards Keadby Bridge, just before you go over it there is a left turning for Burringham, take that. Then continue through the village over a mini roundabout and keep going, you will see a church on the right hand side as you leave the village. You will come to a T-junction, turn right for East Butterwick. When you get to the 30 MPH sign entering the village, look for a left turn about 200yds on. This takes you to the playing fields. Go past these and the road narrows, keep following it to the right, and it leads to a steel gate. Park this side of it on the left,[tractors go in and out] where I do. Go through the side gate, then walk up on the bank [hale]. You will see scrapes either side. I usually walk along the bottom right side of the bank, keeping out of sight.
GOOD LUCK.
iNTELLECTUAL.

birdman said:
Thanks intellectual,

I might take a look at Butterwick Hale on my way home from work one day this week.

Is it easy to find/see on a map?

:t:

I'm not to good at Grid Reference's but try this GR:845 064 and yes East Butterwick should be on the map. On OS LANDRANGER 112 for Scunthorpe and surrounding area, it is clearly marked. The Hale runs alongside a public footpath.
Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back