• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Francolinus Pondicerianus search leads to BirdForum (1 Viewer)

Nick Roberts

While golfing at Mauna Kea resort, on Big Island Hawaii, my cart partner pointed out a covey of partridge-like birds and said look at the chukars. They didn't look like chukars I'd seen in the guides and without binoculars I deferred agreement. Back at my room at the Fairmont Orchid that dusk, I had an chance to see a like bird foraging on the ground four floors below my hotel room balcony viewing post. Through the glass the most distinctive spotting feature was a shingle-like layering of mantle and scapular feathers. With that feature upper-most in my mind, I wound my way through various "Google" leads finding my way to BirdForum.net. Rudimentary research such as this is what makes my birding experience so exhilarating. Prior to this development, I had never even heard of a "francolin". Who woulda thunk a mainland farmboy would catch a Gray Francolin before his first Chukar.

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad we have been able to help with your ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back