• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Holes Bay/UCP

Some signs of some overnight migration, lots of Robin/Blackbird and Song Thrushes around the park as well as 3 blackcap. Also increase of Chiffchaff 50+ and a few WW on the PCW Drain. Common Sandpiper also on the bay edge with a Redshank.

Attachments

• 637blackcap.jpg
    637blackcap.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 636comsand&reds.jpg
    636comsand&reds.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 635comsand.jpg
    635comsand.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 37
Three hours between Cogden and West Bexington this afternoon produced some migrants. Most birds were at West Bexington.

60+ Chiffchaff (arriving in off and moving through)
7 White Wagtail
3 Yellow Wagtail
120 Sand Martin
15 Swallow
1 House Martin
6 Wheatear
15 Meadow Pipit

Lyme Regis this morning:
3 White Wagtail
11 Chiffchaff (8 on bowling green)
2 Wheatear
49 Meadow Pipit
39 Wood Pigeon

No sign of Waxwings in Chideock this morning.

Could somebody confirm what birds these are please

I'm quite new to birdwatching.

Could somebody help me confirm what these birds are that I saw on Stanpit Marsh Christchurch on Saturday. If you subscribe to the CHOG Forum you may have seen them before.

Thanks

Trevor

Attachments

• photo[4].JPG
    photo[4].JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 58
  • photo[5].JPG
    photo[5].JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 51
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 63
Reap Lane to the Bill

This morning 1 Greenshank, 2 Black Redstart, 15 Redwing, 3 Ring Ouzel, 2 Common Redstart, 3 Gannet and 1 Little Gull were the notables.

Attachments

• 638greenshank.jpg
    638greenshank.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 646rouzel.jpg
    646rouzel.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 647rouzel.jpg
    647rouzel.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 653littleg.jpg
    653littleg.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 656blackred.jpg
    656blackred.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 42
Female peregrine, some distant calling crossbills and a dartford at Morden Bog today, with lots (and lots) of siskins around too.

Yesterday had dipper, two purple sands, ring ouzel and a bunch of chiffs/blackcaps at Lyme Regis.

On Sunday we had three, maybe four otters at a site near(ish) Swanage. How discreet should I be about this sighting? It was a fairly busy place but they could go unnoticed.

Good day on Portland around the Bill,Top Fields and Reap Lane:

Ring Ouzel 1, White Wagtail 1, Black Redstart 6, Redstart 4, Wheatear 46, Stonechat 2 (including rubicola type), Robin 33, Song Thrush 23, Redwing 4, Fieldfare 2, Great Spot 1, Chiffchaff 40, Blackcap 13, House Martin 1, Firecrest.

Hoopoe showed well on football pitch next to Sweethill Park Playground 1235-1250 then flew out of view behind bungalow.

Nearby 37 R B Mergs in Portland Harbour.

Lodmoor: Avocet, 6 D b Brents

Radipole: Sand Martins, Swallows, House Martins.

Female peregrine, some distant calling crossbills and a dartford at Morden Bog today, with lots (and lots) of siskins around too.

Yesterday had dipper, two purple sands, ring ouzel and a bunch of chiffs/blackcaps at Lyme Regis.

On Sunday we had three, maybe four otters at a site near(ish) Swanage. How discreet should I be about this sighting? It was a fairly busy place but they could go unnoticed.

I'd keep it quiet, and only tell personal friends.

For visiting Portland may I ask:

Is it worth going down in the afternoon or has all the action long gone by then?

If parking for the Bill, is reap lane, suckthumb quarry accessible on foot easily from there?

Where else is worth checking if parking at the bill and walking?

Is it ok to just wander into the bird obs or do you need to be a member of something?

Many thanks.

For visiting Portland may I ask:

Is it worth going down in the afternoon or has all the action long gone by then?

If parking for the Bill, is reap lane, suckthumb quarry accessible on foot easily from there?

Where else is worth checking if parking at the bill and walking?

Is it ok to just wander into the bird obs or do you need to be a member of something?

Many thanks.

hi DD

morning is better (early as possible) but there will still be stuff around in the afternoon if it's a good day (on a bad day there'll not be a lot even first thing though...)

reap lane and suckthumb quarry (and barleycrates lane) are both technically walkable from the bill but it's a fair slog and parking round this part of portland (between southwell and weston) is easy and free - just be sensible.

in terms of areas it depends what you're after but if it's land migrants check out the bill common for wheatears, wagtails etc., hut fields, obs quarry (little owls), the crown estate fields across the road from the obs, culverwell, the top fields etc. - there a numerous little circuits that can be done, too many to mention really, just follow your nose and look for crowds of birders as that's normally a good sign - don't be afraid to ask!

no problem entering the obs compound, there's a bookshop that's sometimes open, a patio round the back where birders often hang out etc. but don't go into the garden beyond the patio.

cheers,
James

Morden

Not sure what the land managers at Morden Bog are up to, but today discovered that the largest area of Gorse on MB has been completely cleared. The area was alongside the main path that runs from Lawson Clump to the Decoy Pond and was probably a good 150m squared. It was excellent in the summer with Stonechats and Dartfords. In the 1st pic below the area ran from 20 yards behind the front water right up to forest in the background and was spread across the width of the photo.

On a brighter note my 1st Morden Swallows of the spring with 5 birds( a 3 and a 2) and a couple of Peregrines.

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 50
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 44
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 32
Not sure what the land managers at Morden Bog are up to, but today discovered that the largest area of Gorse on MB has been completely cleared.

May be of no relevance, but on Hengistbury/Wick, gorse (and other "invasive" plants) are being cleared to return the land to natural grassland - I understand that Natural England provide guidance, and suggest less than 5% is left as scrub to reinstate the "purity" of the habitat. Maybe there's similar guidance on peat (?) bogs?

As a birder it can seem rather drastic, but I can understand that there's more to habitats than just birds!

Possible GW Egret at Holes Bay Today.

Just putting this out so maybe others could keep an eye out today, Saw what could of been a GWE between Pergins Island and the Railway Line. It was at least 500m away and I was drawn to it mainly on size, obviously features at that distant were not identifiable. I have put a few photos below that size can be compared with the birds in front, pic 2 has a Curlew about 50m infront. Also the last 2 pics show the Poss GWE and a Little Egret that was about 300m away by the bridge. Both pics taken on exactly the same Zoom.

Attachments

• 670gwe.jpg
    670gwe.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 672gwe.jpg
    672gwe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 673le.jpg
    673le.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 674gwe.jpg
    674gwe.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 54
Holes bay

Also at HB today, still plenty of CC and WW and a couple of Blackcap on PCW Drain. Still the Avocet with the gamy leg and the common Sandpiper on the bay.

Attachments

• 668avo.jpg
    668avo.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 677csand.jpg
    677csand.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 678csand.jpg
    678csand.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
Just putting this out so maybe others could keep an eye out today, Saw what could of been a GWE between Pergins Island and the Railway Line. It was at least 500m away and I was drawn to it mainly on size, obviously features at that distant were not identifiable. I have put a few photos below that size can be compared with the birds in front, pic 2 has a Curlew about 50m infront. Also the last 2 pics show the Poss GWE and a Little Egret that was about 300m away by the bridge. Both pics taken on exactly the same Zoom.

Hard to tell on the GWE isn't it? I can't help either way!
Chris

Wyke

A Merlin on the way to Wyke, then a Common Redstart in the bushes on the farm lane. The Great Grey Shrike was in the field above Down farm Farmhouse in the bushes around the kiddies slide, and after 4pm 1 SEO.

Attachments

• 686seo.jpg
    686seo.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 689seo.jpg
    689seo.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back