Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.69 average.
Old Tuesday 24th November 2009, 16:25   #1
timmyjones

Birding in Worcestershire

Thought that Worcestershire needed its own thread for people to share where they've been birding so thought I'd start one off.

After news of the first record of Glossy Ibis for Worcester was re-found yesterday somewhere down river of Grimley thought I'd go and try finding it again.

Went to Grimley to see if it was there and there was no sign, 5-6 Little Grebe 10 or so Shoveler and 3 Cormorant were the only birds of note.
We then decided to drive to Harrow which is where it was reported near by, walked through Harrow Wood which lead down to the river but it was all flooded near the bottom and so couldn't really get a good view out over the other side or anywhere. Lots of Pigeons roosting up in the trees and a flock of LTT where around, looked like a really good place for woodcock might have to go back earlier in the morning and try again.
Old Sunday 29th November 2009, 20:48   #2
midlands birder

great to see someone finally stated a fourum about worcester,hopefully loads of people reply
MB
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 14:23   #3
Sy V

Lickey Hills

All these recent mentions of Crossbills had been getting to me lately. Lickey Hills really are on my doorstep, but I hate the place due to all the ill-behaved dog walkers and general drop-outs that frequent the place.
But, this was my last day off work having had the flu of late so I thought a brisk walk (and boy was it brisk!) would stand me in good stead for tomorrow's return to the office.
It was a squally day with a strong cold northerly wind, but when the clouds passed the sun was bright and, if you could get it behind you, useful.
Remembering that I've only restarted birding this year, after a 30+ year lay off, these little beauties are lifers for me. Hand-held and very windy, these were the best I could manage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill 1_resize.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	230573  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill 6_resize.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	230575  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill 7_resize.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	230576  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill 8_resize.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	230577  

My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 16:04   #4
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy V View Post
All these recent mentions of Crossbills had been getting to me lately. Lickey Hills really are on my doorstep, but I hate the place due to all the ill-behaved dog walkers and general drop-outs that frequent the place.

Hi Sy what you doing there then - are you trying to avoid me ( wolves 0 Blues 1)
I haven't seen crossbills this century - nice pics
cheers John

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Monday 30th November 2009 at 16:15.
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 16:04   #5
midlands birder

still very good pics sy v,
Old Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:52   #6
timmyjones

Amazing photos simon, dads had these crossbills I should really try harder to go get them, there only just down the road!

GLOSSY IBIS!!! Today at Holt Fleet on floodwater no further details! Its still hanging around then!
Old Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:53   #7
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjones View Post
Amazing photos simon, dads had these crossbills I should really try harder to go get them, there only just down the road!

GLOSSY IBIS!!! Today at Holt Fleet on floodwater no further details! Its still hanging around then!
upton this weekend would be nice Tim
Old Friday 4th December 2009, 16:48   #8
upstarts1979

Glossy Ibis near Holt Fleet today see:-

http://worcesterbirding.co.uk/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glossy Ibis 1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	231194  
Old Friday 4th December 2009, 17:16   #9
timmyjones

Congrats John will hopefully be up there first thing tomorrow to see if I can connect with it, hope it sticks around!
Old Friday 4th December 2009, 17:51   #10
upstarts1979

Quote:
Congrats John will hopefully be up there first thing tomorrow to see if I can connect with it, hope it sticks around!

Tim
I never re-found it Brian Stretch did
cheers John
(just sent you email re Sunday )
Old Saturday 5th December 2009, 17:18   #11
Brian Stretch

Pictures of the Glossy Ibis now online here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/gl...rshire_71.html

Brian
www.westmidlandsbirding.co.uk

Last edited by Brian Stretch : Saturday 5th December 2009 at 18:02.
Old Sunday 6th December 2009, 20:09   #12
midlands birder

what a great bird the ibis is,story on blog soon
MB
Old Wednesday 9th December 2009, 18:01   #13
timmyjones

Gutted that I haven't been able to get to the glossy ibis so far hopefully it will stick around a little while longer.

Went to Lickey today quickly managed to hear the Firecrest near the Obelisk but could only just see the tops of the trees with the fog so will have to go back and try again another day.
Old Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:20   #14
midlands birder

Quote:
Gutted that I haven't been able to get to the glossy ibis so far hopefully it will stick around a little while longer.

Went to Lickey today quickly managed to hear the Firecrest near the Obelisk but could only just see the tops of the trees with the fog so will have to go back and try again another day.
so your hopeing the IBIS will stay and im hopeing the firecrest will stay LOL
one of my favorite species firecrests are below waxwings though
MB
Old Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:53   #15
timmyjones

Im hoping both will stay, I've tried twice for the Firecrest so far and heard it today but couldn't get onto it due to being high up and foggy!
Old Thursday 10th December 2009, 18:18   #16
midlands birder

Quote:
Im hoping both will stay, I've tried twice for the Firecrest so far and heard it today but couldn't get onto it due to being high up and foggy!
shame about this. hope you get it soon(if it sticks)
Old Saturday 19th December 2009, 18:35   #17
upstarts1979

Birding at lower park farm north Redditch today.
On the approach road a large flock of Golden Plover numbered 403 with c200 Lapwing also a small flock of 6 Common Snipe were flushed by the farmers dog.
Around the fishing pools were 17 Wigeon and 10 Tufted and good numbers (c100) fieldfare feeding on the grassy banks. A lone Raven flew over.

Please note the fishing pools are private but the fields are viewable from the the fishery approach road.

cheers John

a record shot of some of the Goldies
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	233454  
Old Monday 21st December 2009, 20:05   #18
upstarts1979

Perhaps not for this site (maybe Garden site, but I thought I would mention it as it is an unusual occurrence.
I had 27 Blackbirds in my garden today not rare but amazing to see them fighting for their bit of territory. My garden is only 66 foot x 36 feet. I feed the birds throughout the year and at this time I put out the normal seeds but plenty of cheap sultanas, raisins and apples thrushes love them
Over the last few days there as also been 5 Redwing , a Song Thrush, Bullfinch, Blackcap, 5 Goldfinch, Coal tit, 60 House Sparrows, 9 Jackdaws plus the commoner species.

cheers John
Old Monday 21st December 2009, 20:10   #19
midlands birder

not loads to talk about nut a few birds seen on my local patch. the lickhill area of stourport. on 19/12 had a site first when 4 teal flew upriver a flock of lapwing passed distantly and an imense flock of 80c cormorant passed over in one flock at 8:19 am

20/12 a jack snipe was flushed from a masrhy field with 2 common snipe, a golden plover was with a flock of 134 lapwing on the riverside fields also 2 meadow pipit in the grass here and a raven flew over, also had the 1st siskin on our feeders this winter

and today only 7 lapwing were in the fields a marsh tit put in a reappearence and shown well(if in a bush) and 2 raven flew over
MB
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 13:52   #20
timmyjones

Went to Lower Park Farm earlier only briefly as it was on the way back from getting a new pair of Bins for my birthday and mom was in the car! Saw about 10 in the field to the right of the entrance looking at it but there could easily have been more.

Anyone been to look for the possible Nutcracker reported in Hadley? Or anyone know any more details on it?

Also I've decided to do a Worcs year list and an Upton Year list for the first time this year seen as Brian's made a section for it on his website be interesting to see what I can get. Anyone know of anywhere I can view a map that shows the Worcestershire county boundary? And are there many sites out there that are spilt by the boundary to another county that anyone knows of?
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 15:43   #21
Sy V

Tim

Try this one mate: Worcester County Map.

My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 17:49   #22
Brian Stretch

Quote:
Went to Lower Park Farm earlier only briefly as it was on the way back from getting a new pair of Bins for my birthday and mom was in the car! Saw about 10 in the field to the right of the entrance looking at it but there could easily have been more.

Anyone been to look for the possible Nutcracker reported in Hadley? Or anyone know any more details on it?

Also I've decided to do a Worcs year list and an Upton Year list for the first time this year seen as Brian's made a section for it on his website be interesting to see what I can get. Anyone know of anywhere I can view a map that shows the Worcestershire county boundary? And are there many sites out there that are spilt by the boundary to another county that anyone knows of?
Hi Tim,

Re: Nutcracker. Spoken to the lucky observer of the bird and the description sounds very interesting. As large as a Green Woodpecker (ruling out Starling), brown body plumage covered in silver/'gold' inverted triangles particulary on the neck, contrasting with golden brown and well defined cap to head. Plain brown wings, large bill and conspicous legs. Despite the 'gold' references (which may have been an artefact of the light) it's hard to imagine what else it could have been. It has not been seen today or yesterday.

The Yearlist page is now up and running here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/wo..._lists_73.html

It will be updated as frequently as possible, but please be patient, particulary during the first few months as lists (& rankings) can change dramatically in a few days!

Brian

www.worcesterbirding.co.uk
www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 18:46   #23
timmyjones

Thanks Sy think I have it sorted now, is it me or does the county border split the Wyre Forest in half?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stretch View Post
Hi Tim,

Re: Nutcracker. Spoken to the lucky observer of the bird and the description sounds very interesting. As large as a Green Woodpecker (ruling out Starling), brown body plumage covered in silver/'gold' inverted triangles particulary on the neck, contrasting with golden brown and well defined cap to head. Plain brown wings, large bill and conspicous legs. Despite the 'gold' references (which may have been an artefact of the light) it's hard to imagine what else it could have been. It has not been seen today or yesterday.

The Yearlist page is now up and running here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/wo..._lists_73.html

It will be updated as frequently as possible, but please be patient, particulary during the first few months as lists (& rankings) can change dramatically in a few days!

Brian

www.worcesterbirding.co.uk
www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk
Sounds like a good description then, lets hope its soon re-found then!

No worries, I've never done it before so I'm really not sure what to expect with how many birds I'll see, guess I'll just have to wait and find out!
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 20:06   #24
jackied
Jax

[quote=timmyjones;1685961]Thanks Sy think I have it sorted now, is it me or does the county border split the Wyre Forest in half?

Dowels Brooke, running through the middle of the Wyre Forest forms the border between Worcestershire and Shropshire, so yes the border does split the forest in half.
Jackie

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 1st January 2010, 17:09   #25
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap

Quote:
And are there many sites out there that are spilt by the boundary to another county that anyone knows of?
Hi Tim,
Another area only partly in Worcestershire is the Malvern Hills. Map with county borders at http://www.malvernhillsaonb.org.uk/p...ationMapOS.jpg
Matt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: