Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1100 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 12:20   #10176
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

JTB reports a second Arctic Tern at the Moors and a sixth Yellow Wag of the day.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 12:52   #10177
Phil Andrews

SHORT EARED OWL at the Flashes
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 12:54   #10178
wheatearlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
SHORT EARED OWL at the Flashes
Better tell Oriole Boy
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 13:20   #10179
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

JTB texted to say the SEO is on the deck at the back of the archery field!!!!!!
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 13:23   #10180
Duck_Pond
Freelance Wildlife Photographer

Why do these things always turn up on week days? Good result for the reserve though, even if it's yet another one I'll miss.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 13:30   #10181
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pond View Post
Why do these things always turn up on week days? Good result for the reserve though, even if it's yet another one I'll miss.
I've only ever caught up with one at UW - in April 2000 - that hung around for 2 days so there's still hope that us weekenders might still get this one.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 14:16   #10182
CorvusCorax

Any chance of a 4pm short-eared owl update for those of us lucky enough to be working. I can get there for about 4.30 but it'd be great to know if it was still around...
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 14:29   #10183
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCorax View Post
Any chance of a 4pm short-eared owl update for those of us lucky enough to be working. I can get there for about 4.30 but it'd be great to know if it was still around...
Am in regular contct with John.

SEO is the biggest hole in my Upton list
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 14:50   #10184
woodwolf

Quote:
Am in regular contct with John.

SEO is the biggest hole in my Upton list
Short eared Hole ?

there are a few on tenterhooks at work this afternoon and looking to use the POETS day excuse
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 14:54   #10185
Brian Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCorax View Post
Still showing on+off at the Flashes mid-afternoon per many obs on site.

Brian
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 15:00   #10186
CorvusCorax

Cool, thanks a lot. Never heard of POETS day before, but after looking it up I think it is my new favourite expression!
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 16:31   #10187
upstarts1979

Jase K just reported SE owl still present back of archery field at 4.28pm

he has also just had another Yellow wag over sailing pool 3pm

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Friday 27th April 2012 at 16:33.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 18:17   #10188
upstarts1979

Vis Mig

Spent nearly 7hours on site today, started just before 9 at he Moors. Continuous heavy rain and only stopped at 12.20pm. strong NE only dropping in force when rain stopped. Stayed in East hide accompanied by Dave J and Alan H for most of the time.
A good number of Swallows c200, flew low above the water making for easy RR swallow elimination.Only a couple of sand martin but 30 or 40 house martins were in tow and my first swifts (3) of the year were also seen. At 9.25 a dull yellow wag appeared in front on the shingle island then moved to the near grassy bank, only a few minutes later it flew off north. Two females then appeared at 10.20 for a few minutes again heading north, followed by two spanking males. These lingered for a while before moving off north. At 10.47 an Arctic tern dropped in accompanied by 3 common tern. Dave J had gone to the Flashes but the 8 Black Tailed godwits had moved off but he did find another arctic tern that pretty soon joined our bird. Alan H told me that in the log book at the Flashes there was a Short eared owl listed for last night, thinking nothing more of it I continued birding and found the 6th Yellow wag of the day, a male that flew off north and then came back and stayed a while.
To add to the 'vis mig' vibe, 2 of the common sands and the LRP at the Moors flew north during the rains.
Just after at 12.37 I received a call from John R, saying a Short eared owl was flying high over the masts at the Flashes. Unfortunately I couldn't see it from the east hide, oh well the one that got away. To add insult to injury, Andy P Phoned 2 minutes later saying it was at the back of the Flashes hide at eye level. I made a dash to the Flashes to be told by 3 visitors that it had flown north over the farm towards the house on the hill...back to where I had just come from.
I had a hunch and decided to check out our grassy triangle behind the archery field, this is the only SE owl habitat on the reserve. And yes I wasn't disappointed, there it was as it sat on top of a clump of sedge.
The bird was one of the darkest I have ever seen but some of that could be due to it being so wet. Before anyone arrived the bird flew, luckily only to a nearby post, from where it posed for the small crowd that had assembled. Ironically a loud group of what I thought were birders appeared, to inform uus that they were about to take archery lessons the first time I have ever known anyone use this facility.
After being flushed a couple times the bird settled down to perform.
Later a 7th Yellow wagtail flew over the flashes hide going west. Another was seen at 3pm and I have since heard from Jason K that there is a wheatear at the Moors west path.
Oh well looks like spring has at last begun

3 record and I mean record shots from today.John

Just to temper our excitement somewhat a fox was seen inside the 'fence' along the 2nd flash east shore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 A dull yel wag249 (3).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	380968  Click image for larger version

Name:	2male yell wag (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	380970  Click image for larger version

Name:	3se owl (3).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	380971  

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Friday 27th April 2012 at 20:20.
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 19:17   #10189
Gavo

Absolutely gutted I'm unable to make it to UW at the moment there are some good birds turning up, the short eared owl would be a lifer

Well pleased for everyone who has seen it though, p.s. what is meant by the term RECORD shot, I keep seeing it but it makes no sense to me
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 19:41   #10190
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavo View Post
Absolutely gutted I'm unable to make it to UW at the moment there are some good birds turning up, the short eared owl would be a lifer

Well pleased for everyone who has seen it though, p.s. what is meant by the term RECORD shot, I keep seeing it but it makes no sense to me
Hi Mate...the term record means a pin ***** image of a bird that you can just make out what it is, as opposed to a frame filling 'portrait' quality shot of a bird.
John get well soon kid
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 19:58   #10191
Jason K

In addition to John's round up, myself and Andy Pitt had decent views of Lesser Whitethroat at the Moors (halfway along the track from the car park to the concrete hide) at approx 17:00pm. 7 Swifts went over.

Below is a link to some video footage that I took of this afternoons Short Eared Owl. Its not the greatest footage as the bird had hankered down but it does serve as a record.

http://youtu.be/JdscitILonc
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 20:04   #10192
discors
Old Timer

SHORT EARED OWL
Fantastic bird. I was at Earlswood watching 20 Common Terns when I got Brians text so thanks for getting the news out so quick. I was talking with John that he reckons it's the first one this century he has seen.- I have to go back to the early eighties. Thought we had missed the chance of getting one with so many in the country all winter. Upton delivers again
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 20:10   #10193
Gavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
Hi Mate...the term record means a pin ***** image of a bird that you can just make out what it is, as opposed to a frame filling 'portrait' quality shot of a bird.
John get well soon kid
Ok thanks John, I understand now. Thanks for the best wishes buddy

p.s if it's still there tomorrow I'm climbing off my sick bed
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 20:15   #10194
upstarts1979

Today's Species counts
MOORS
GCG 4, Little grebe 2 (1 back on the Broadmeadow pool) , cormorant, mute swan pr, greylag 6 over west, teal 2 fems, gadwall male, tufted c40, Common sand 3, LRP, snipe 2, lapwing, oystercatcher 4, Arctic tern 2, common tern 3, herring gull 3 x 1st summer,
great sp and green woodpecker, kingfisher, collared dove, swift 3, yellow wag 6, swallow 170, house martin 30, sand martin 2, reed warbler plenty along causeway. 1 sedge w, chiffchaff, blackcap,

FLASHES
Shelduck male, gadwall pr, Avocet 10, LRP 4, common tern, Short eared owl,
yellow wag over hide plus another on the field ( thus 8 in total) near to the SE owl site.

Also add those species not seen by me: Black tailed godwit (8),
Lesser whitethroat at Moors and sailing pool car parks. Wheatear (moors)

In all at least 70 species were seen today on the reserve.
John
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 20:30   #10195
upstarts1979

SE owl habitat

Funny enough the rough grassy triangle that the owl is in, is earmarked for a bit of wetland restoration. Previously this area was a good area for wetland species where snipe, lapwing, redshank and even jack snipe have been recorded. Sedge, gropper and reed buntings have bred in it. However it has deteriorated in recent years through neglect, but in light of the owl's appearance we might have to resist the work unless the scrub encroaches too much. Or even enhance it for rough grassland species.John
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 20:35   #10196
upstarts1979

Gazza P has just had Hobby over
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 21:09   #10197
woodwolf

Blasted over after somehow misreading my watch and accidently leaving work a bit early

Good info from JK on the SEO's whereabouts as I arrived as he left but I couldn't get on it with bins, stood in the freezing wind for 15 mins. Brian pitched up so my spirits rose, stood in freezing wind another 15 mins... I had every faith, and brilliant he got on it squatting in the long grass in his scope for me to enjoy...stood enjoying it for 30 mins in the freezing wind..a lifer at UW is always special, thanks to Brian and JK
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 21:14   #10198
Phil Andrews

Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

A great return to form by Upton with a really varied list of species recorded today - who's the daddy??!!

PS Who saw the 8 Blackwits?
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 21:24   #10199
upstarts1979

Quote:
Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

A great return to form by Upton with a really varied list of species recorded today - who's the daddy??!!

PS Who saw the 8 Blackwits?
Alan Hambury found them. Mostly feeding in transmitter field.
I have a picture of one SE owl in the North Moors in the early 80's, I'll try and drag it out. Andy P has a better 'shot'l than mine of today's bird. If is there tomorrow, can people not break the skyline if in the Archery field. Walk up the bank behind the targets and stay this side of the fence line. Please note that this is not our land and a permit will be required from the centre or wardens on site. I know this is not a rarity, but please remember we have a good relationship with the sailing centre and bad behaviour could jeopardise this.John
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 21:38   #10200
Jason K

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwolf View Post
Blasted over after somehow misreading my watch and accidently leaving work a bit early

Good info from JK on the SEO's whereabouts as I arrived as he left but I couldn't get on it with bins, stood in the freezing wind for 15 mins. Brian pitched up so my spirits rose, stood in freezing wind another 15 mins... I had every faith, and brilliant he got on it squatting in the long grass in his scope for me to enjoy...stood enjoying it for 30 mins in the freezing wind..a lifer at UW is always special, thanks to Brian and JK
Not a problem Mark...glad I could be of assistance
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: