Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1100 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:07   #10426
CaveLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudy Banks View Post
Pic taken today whilst on Bluethroat lookout duty!
Great Shot !
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:32   #10427
discors
Old Timer

Up the mecca for my token few hours on the all dayer Whimbrel at both the Flashes and the Moors possibly the same bird as it flew off calling from the Flashes. Little Gull and Black Tern performing well at the Moors still, good to see them braving the cold wind.Did get Jay as I left car park. Got my copy of the 2011 Bird Report excellent as usual with the bird of the year the Bluethroat on the front cover. Loads of stats to take in with 155 birds for the year. Bargain for 2.50

Last edited by discors : Saturday 5th May 2012 at 17:38.
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 19:36   #10428
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Finally #84 Short-eared Owl
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 20:14   #10429
Gavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Finally #84 Short-eared Owl
Nice one, gutted I've missed it again though.

Enjoyed my few hours at the alldayer today, it was nice to get out and about, cheers to all the guys for a great few hours
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 21:53   #10430
forgetfulelephant

Some images from today: Whimbrel calling.
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ROB3090 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	382622  Click image for larger version

Name:	_ROB3064 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	382623  
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 21:56   #10431
forgetfulelephant

Little Gull
Black Tern

At the Moors today.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_ROB3032 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	382624  Click image for larger version

Name:	_ROB3020 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	382625  Click image for larger version

Name:	_ROB3004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	382627  
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:02   #10432
djaphoto

I'm heading down to the reserve tomorrow for a few hours see what photos I can get. John, will you be onsite for us to get a day pass from matey?

Will look out for you, more than likely down at the flashes hide
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:03   #10433
cooky1

Hi all,

First time on the all dayer and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.The company and banter at the various location was fantastic.Thanks to everyone i met today.

The start of the photo`s begins with a few of the scarcer species.
Best i can do on the Black Tern. It was quite content working the middle of the Moors.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	barnacle 2 copy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	382633  Click image for larger version

Name:	little gull 3 copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	382634  Click image for larger version

Name:	black tern 2 copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	382635  Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow wag 4 copy.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	382636  
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:05   #10434
Neil Duggan

Spent a great morning on the Reserve today. The place looked great with some sunshine on it at last. Great to meet some great characters with funny banter. Black Tern highlight for me.

Well done to the hardcore who were doing the full shift....
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:35   #10435
upstarts1979

Hard core all off to bed. I'm sure we will put some sort of report together tomorrow.
Belvide 88
Middleton 95
Marsh Lane 83
Upton 84.
Great effort by all teams
John

cheers for the cake Rob (forgetfulelephant) - chocolate, hazel and courgette nice

Last edited by upstarts1979 : Saturday 5th May 2012 at 22:37.
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 23:19   #10436
Spoonbill Finder

Had Atlas Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher and Merlin this evening...at Flamborough Head.Sorry I wasnt at Upton today. Well done all.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 07:09   #10437
rollingthunder

So it is an 'Atlas' then?

Laurie
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 07:36   #10438
hagar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
Hard core all off to bed. I'm sure we will put some sort of report together tomorrow.
Belvide 88
Middleton 95
Marsh Lane 83
Upton 84.
Great effort by all teams
John

cheers for the cake Rob (forgetfulelephant) - chocolate, hazel and courgette nice
Well done guys sorry not to be part of it but home duties call !!!!!! looks like you had a great day and we came third not bad for a small reserve shows all the hard work done by you guys is paying off keep it going
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 08:31   #10439
Spoonbill Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
So it is an 'Atlas' then?

Laurie
Sorry, I should have put "possible"!
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 09:36   #10440
Phil Andrews

Spring All-Day Birdwatch - Saturday 5th May

The full species list was as follows:

Mute Swan (2 Moors, 2 Sailing Pool), Canada Goose, Greylay Goose (2 mobile birds), Barnacle Goose (1 on Moors mid morning before flying south over the Sailing Pool), Shelduck (3 at the Flashes), Mallard, Gadwall (male Moors, pair Flashes), Teal (2 female Moors), Tufted Duck, Little Grebe (2 Moors), GC Grebe, Cormorant (1 Moors briefly), Grey Heron (3 Moors), Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine (2 on masts), Hooby (seen twice at Moors), Pheasant, Avocet (10 Flashes), Oystercatcher (5 Moors), Little Ringed Plover (6 Flashes), Lapwing, Common Sandpiper (3 Flashes + 3 Moors early morning), Whimbrel (Flashes before moving to the Moors mid afternoon), Black-headed Gull, Common Gull (2s on Flashes, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Little Gull (1s on Moors all day before roosting at the Flashes), Mediterranean Gull (2s on Moors midday then seen at the Flashes), Common Tern (2 Moors), Black Tern (Moors from mid morning), Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Collared Dove, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Short-eared Owl, Swift, Kingfisher, Pied Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail (3 or 4 birds over the day, including a male in Amys Marsh), Skylark, Swallow (up to 150 at Moors), House Martin (up to 150 at Moors), Sand Martin (up to 30 at Moors), Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler (near the chestnut tree at the end of the causeway at Moors), Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat (notable influx with 5 birds around the Sailing Pool / Flashes), Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Starling, Raven, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Jay, Magpie, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

In the circumstances - no wader passage and a very cold N/NE wind) - the total of 84, slightly above average, was very commendable. It was nice to have a few "headline birds" in the shape of Little Gull, Whimbrel, Black Tern and Med Gull and even better that all but the last one lingered for the majority of the day, affording everyone good views. The ultimate highlight however was the Short-eared Owl which quartered the crop field behind the Sailing Pool from around 7:30ish before moving over to hunt at the Flashes giving great views to the ten or so of us still standing at that point! SE Owl and Little Gull were new for the Spring All-Dayer whilst it was only the second time Med Gull had been recorded and third for Black Tern.

Species that remained missing for the day included Little Owl, Tawny Owl, House Sparrow and Cuckoo together with a whole host of waders that might potentially be expected (Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Redshank etc).

Many thanks for all the observations and banter throughout the course of a long day from John (Upstarts), Daniel (Whoever), Peter E, Tony H, Paul A, Paul M, Terry H, Phil Q, Graham LaB, Mike (Wheatearlrp), Gavo, Paul C (Oriole Boy), Stuart C, Paul (Beyonder), Chris (Cooky), Gert (Gertatron), Trevor (Discors), John R, John C, Mark (Woodwolf), Steve W, Gary (Biking Birder), Dave (Woodchat), Tim & Mary, Phil & Lyn, Phil Q, Rob (Forgetful Elephant), Jared, Claudy, Shaggy Bob and anyone else I may have overlooked.

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Sunday 6th May 2012 at 10:08.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 09:53   #10441
Phil Andrews

Other species managed yesterday by our rivals (Marsh Lane, Belvide and Middleton Lakes) but not recorded at Upton included:

Wigeon, Shoveler, Pochard, Red-breasted Merganser, Black-necked Grebe, Red-legged Partridge, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Whinchat, Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Willow Tit, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Sunday 6th May 2012 at 19:57.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 10:31   #10442
Phil Andrews

First summer Little Gull still at the Moors Pool
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 10:58   #10443
forgetfulelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky1 View Post
Hi all,

First time on the all dayer and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.The company and banter at the various location was fantastic.Thanks to everyone i met today.

The start of the photo`s begins with a few of the scarcer species.
Best i can do on the Black Tern. It was quite content working the middle of the Moors.

Chris
I'm liking those images Cooky. Worth waiting for eh!

Rob
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 11:15   #10444
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Other species managed yesterday by our rivals (Marsh Lane, Belvide and Middleton Lakes) but not recorded at Upton included:

Wigeon, Shoveler, Red-breasted Merganser, Black-necked Grebe, Red-legged Partridge, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Whinchat, Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Willow Tit, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Yellowhammer
Phil
what did we get that the other teams didn't.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 14:22   #10445
beyonder

Thoroughly enjoyed the day yesterday thanks to all those involved. Pleased with my own total even though I could only tick chaffinch from a song I know that breaks the rules for cloth-eared novices but I did get independent verification (Phil) before I put it down.

The quality of the birds definitely made it for me - black tern, a textbook med gull and whimbrel would have made ti a good day on any day but to get them in an all-dayer was special. Bird of the day was undoubtedly the SEO - stunning views of a great bird.

Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and pointed out the birds I'd otherwise have missed - even sitting there with them right in front of me!!.

Paul H
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 16:10   #10446
PeterE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonder View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the day yesterday ...

Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge and pointed out the birds I'd otherwise have missed - even sitting there with them right in front of me!!.

Paul H
Yes, it was a very enjoyable experience, and I too would like to thank both the organisers and those individuals (sometimes the same people) who generously guided me towards new birds.

Thanks also to the obliging Garden Warbler who sung out in the open for about 5 minutes.

Are you listening, SEO?

Peter
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 19:49   #10447
woodwolf

Odonata and Lepidotera

At the reserve today were 2 fresh male Beautiful Demoiselles, which took me by surprise. A couple of Peacock's , quite a few Orange tips ( 4 females ) and 2 Common White Wave Moth's

..and a friendly Blackcap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bd.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	382820  Click image for larger version

Name:	bc.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	382821  
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 20:35   #10448
Gertatron

All dayer

Just to add to the comments above, A great day - started at 4 am, faded at 6.30 (thanks I think to the Starling Black Label!) As a result missed the SEO again! There's a moral there somewhere..
Anyway, I got 78 species, my personal best for a one day list at Upton so well chuffed. And good to meet people and put names to avatars and dodgy names on this forum

I have created my own set of pictures of birds seen on the day which is here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildger...7629612045224/

Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 21:24   #10449
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertatron View Post
Just to add to the comments above, A great day - started at 4 am, faded at 6.30 (thanks I think to the Starling Black Label!) As a result missed the SEO again! There's a moral there somewhere..
Anyway, I got 78 species, my personal best for a one day list at Upton so well chuffed. And good to meet people and put names to avatars and dodgy names on this forum

You kept your day list quiet! Think Paul C and Mike ended up on 79; I was on 78ish. Shows that Paul's record day list of 81 is certainly beatable with a fair wind.

Perhaps on the next All-Dayer you could have a competition between you togs to see who can recognisably photograph the most species in one day.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 22:43   #10450
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertatron View Post

Pretty potent stuff Gert but certainly helped me sleep for an hour or so yesterday afternoon
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: