• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optician scopes for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
N.B. title should read "Opticron" it's not the first time my spell check has over ruled me

Hi, I am contemplating "upgrading" my old Opticron classic to a MM3 60, not for the sole purpose of digiscoping but as an extra consideration. I have only ever briefly tried taking photos through it, several years back with a 350D and adapter bought from In-focus, which I found to a lot of faffing around for results that weren't really worth the bother.

Having recently taken a photo, and I use that as a very loose description, of an osprey at Fingringhoe Wick, seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/43324529@N04/20194487064/in/dateposted-public/ I am reconsidering the use of scopes. I tend not to take mine with me anymore and I am missing out on the experience. At Wallasea Island recently I viewed a peregrine through a kind fella's scope, another bird I could have taken a quick photo of.

I spent some time last night looking at Paul Hackett's shots with his Kowa and Sony set-up but I am not in a position to buy anything of that quality so am settled on the MM3 60 as being the most realistic target.

From the point of view of digiscoping only, is it a worthwhile upgrade or might I just as well stick with what I have?

And thoughts would be helpful

Many thanks Paul

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back