• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Whats happened, i go away for 2 weeks and it turns into a slanging match. No yorkshire birds but some good egyptian ones!

Had an hour or two down at Rodley this morning.
Saw a nice female kingfisher but it wouldn't stay put for a photo...d**n
There was quite a movement of martins down the valley along with about a dozen swifts. Not had any swifts round our house for about 4 weeks so I wonder where these birds came from?
The reserve was very quiet, I heard partridges in the sunflower field and possibly a couple of chiffchaffs in the wilow copse but not much else about.

Keith Dickinson said:
Had an hour or two down at Rodley this morning.
Saw a nice female kingfisher but it wouldn't stay put for a photo...d**n
There was quite a movement of martins down the valley along with about a dozen swifts. Not had any swifts round our house for about 4 weeks so I wonder where these birds came from?
The reserve was very quiet, I heard partridges in the sunflower field and possibly a couple of chiffchaffs in the wilow copse but not much else about.

Been like that a while Keith. There seems to be some concern about the lack of waders. Can't beleive we haven't had one green sand or greenshank. Sorry I missed you...

sonic said:
well its been easterly my theory must correct rename this thread as
'blacktoft sands' as it seems you lot only go here.

ha ha sure was - can't even remember posting B :)

Went out to Fairburn on Sunday with the missus. She was pleased it was there family funday (I did not know this) and on the tombola, 5 tickets for a pound, she won a vanity mirror, a credit card wallet and a photo album. Not bad. Unfortunately there was little birdlife around although there were good numbers of teal, and a greenshank.

Managed to work the area between around harewood bridge this evening. There was a gap between two heavy downpoors and I was rewarded with an excellent Goshawk. Of course no having my digiscoping gear it landed in full view and started plucking a carrion crow!! Also plenty of Red Kites, Yellowhammer, Little Owl and a Yellow Wagtail over.

Sonic, I may well have popped into Blacktoft too after fairburn, but who cares hey!!! Let us know what you see your way, and if you can recommend a good spot I'd be happy to come over. Was thinking about ringstone edge and scammondon area actually. Any good?

Seriously chavved off today. Got up at 7 with intentions of picking up the temminck's stint at north cave on the way to spurn to get spotted crake barred warbler and dotterel. Got in car. Chug chug bleurgh. DOH! Managed to push start it and took it round the block to see if the battery charged but instead managed to get stranded a mile from home. Looks like the alternator has packed up. And i gotta walk across town to work for the next 3 nights. AAARGH!!!!!!!!!

Hotspur said:
Seriously chavved off today. Got up at 7 with intentions of picking up the temminck's stint at north cave on the way to spurn to get spotted crake barred warbler and dotterel. Got in car. Chug chug bleurgh. DOH! Managed to push start it and took it round the block to see if the battery charged but instead managed to get stranded a mile from home. Looks like the alternator has packed up. And i gotta walk across town to work for the next 3 nights. AAARGH!!!!!!!!!

Gutted. Sounds like you had it all sussed!

Well I did get down to north cave and connected with the Temminks Stint which was a Yorkshire first for me, and only my second. I was there on my own to begin with so also had the challenge of finding it! Good selection of otherbirds down there seven whimbrel and very confiding spotted redshank. Still interesting to note there are common terns there. They cleared out of Rodley in July.

Also dunlin pic attached.

Attachments

• spotshank.JPG
    spotshank.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 190
  • dunlin.JPG
    dunlin.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 191
I also connected with the Temmink's on Monday. The little bugger took some finding. I was told by another birder to look for the Dunlin and the Stint wouldn't be far behind. Anyhow, the birds must have fallen out because the Dunlin had found new pals in the form of two Ringed Plovers. Would have loved to see some Wimbrel though.

Also got very poor views of the Dotterel on my way home. Must admit if it wasn't for a couple of other birders at the site I would have easily missed them.

Don't mean to gripe you off Hotspur! If your car is fixed I think the stint is still at North Cave.

My local patch is wheldrake/bank island and the rest of the lower derwent valley. If anyone fancies a treck round im always glad of company :D. If the Temminck's is still around friday might go then as i finish my nights that morning.

Hotspur said:
My local patch is wheldrake/bank island and the rest of the lower derwent valley. If anyone fancies a treck round im always glad of company :D. If the Temminck's is still around friday might go then as i finish my nights that morning.

I've always wanted a truly local patch and I'm hoping that I may have discovered one, albeit in its infancy. It is a new gravel pit just north of where I live in Wetherby. In the last week I've established it can be viewed from the A1 flyover, and that it actually says "keep Out Bird Sanctuary" on the gate. The use of the word sanctuary is a bit odd, but it does look like it is being developed as a reserve. I want to get involved - planting trees, putting up boxes etc. but I haven't a clue who "owns" it. Any ideas?? - thought about checking with Harrogate council. Some duck and gulls on it tonight - first time I've been with optics, but lightning that bad I didn't dare get the scope out.

First Yorkshire tick of the year in the shape of Roller last Friday. Literally arrived home from two weeks of fruitless sea-watching in Cornwall (save for Balearic S. and Basking Shark) interspersed with some boarding. The surf dude shorts stunned the Roller into sitting on the beach motionless for hours.

Lawts said:
I've always wanted a truly local patch and I'm hoping that I may have discovered one, albeit in its infancy. It is a new gravel pit just north of where I live in Wetherby. In the last week I've established it can be viewed from the A1 flyover, and that it actually says "keep Out Bird Sanctuary" on the gate. The use of the word sanctuary is a bit odd, but it does look like it is being developed as a reserve. I want to get involved - planting trees, putting up boxes etc. but I haven't a clue who "owns" it. Any ideas?? - thought about checking with Harrogate council. Some duck and gulls on it tonight - first time I've been with optics, but lightning that bad I didn't dare get the scope out.

First Yorkshire tick of the year in the shape of Roller last Friday. Literally arrived home from two weeks of fruitless sea-watching in Cornwall (save for Balearic S. and Basking Shark) interspersed with some boarding. The surf dude shorts stunned the Roller into sitting on the beach motionless for hours.
Cheers for the wetherby up date, not sure the roller counts as yorkshire, but such a stunning tick I wont begrudge you counting it!

Lawts said:

I don't know if this is the area but I do know that the Harrogate RSPB Wildlife Explorer group have a bit land out the A1 way which they have been working on for several years. A farmer donated a bit of land and they have dug ponds and generally worked on the area with a view to making it into a small sanctuary. This might be what you are seeing. If you contact the Lodge you'll be able to get the details for the Harrogate RSPB Members group who should be able to clarify things.

I think most birders (and Yorkshire Birding publication) work to the old boundary of Yorkshire which includes parts of Cleveland - anything south of the Tees. It's up to the individual but this includes South Gare as it's south of the river.

Lawts said:
I think most birders (and Yorkshire Birding publication) work to the old boundary of Yorkshire which includes parts of Cleveland - anything south of the Tees. It's up to the individual but this includes South Gare as it's south of the river.

okay, I stand corrected

jimmy2faces said:
Anyone know how to get to this site? How to work it and whether it's 'safe' enougth to take the full digiscoping kit?

At work now so can't type for too long but I have visited the site once and will provide directions later.

Ironically it is totally safe as you are behind a fence inside a works. The knack is getting in. It is private property and basically most/all records come from same bloke who works/did work at the site. It's almost like his own reserve - can't be bad!

I happened to hit lucky because the gates were open and I met a worker who knew the birder and he happened to be out birding on the reserve so I wandered down and met him.

On another day, the gates could have been locked or even if open, I imagine I could have been challenged as to why I was there.

Even though I've been I'd probably feel a bit awkward if I went again. Having said that, the messages come out, so why put them out if you don't want people to come? You can view a lot of it from outside, but as the old beds are sunken, you can't really see the birds without getting in amongst them.

Lawts said:
At work now so can't type for too long but I have visited the site once and will provide directions later.

Ironically it is totally safe as you are behind a fence inside a works. The knack is getting in. It is private property and basically most/all records come from same bloke who works/did work at the site. It's almost like his own reserve - can't be bad!

I happened to hit lucky because the gates were open and I met a worker who knew the birder and he happened to be out birding on the reserve so I wandered down and met him.

On another day, the gates could have been locked or even if open, I imagine I could have been challenged as to why I was there.

Even though I've been I'd probably feel a bit awkward if I went again. Having said that, the messages come out, so why put them out if you don't want people to come? You can view a lot of it from outside, but as the old beds are sunken, you can't really see the birds without getting in amongst them.

Seems a bit of a weird one. Will write more later too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back