• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SO wanted to like the EL... (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

So. A guy walks into a shop and says: “I want the best binoculars in the world – don’t worry about the cost! What have you got?”. The very helpful shopkeeper asked all the right questions and then set out on the table beside the patio:

- Swarovision 8.5x42
- Swarovision 8x32
- Ultravid HD 7x42
- Victory 8x42 HT
- Victory 8x32 SF

Since I’d expressed interest in 42mm objectives, she also put on the table an SLC 8x42, and a used SLC 8x42 HD, but I pretty much dismissed them straight away because they look kind-of clunky compared to all the others, and I was committed to spending top dollar and didn’t want to settle for a ‘mid-range’ binocular.

I tried them all and there was one absolutely clear winner in my eye – head and shoulders above all the rest. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing though, so I tried them all again, and again, and again.

I’d originally walked into the shop thinking I would buy the 7x42 Ultravid, because I’ve been very impressed by reviews from the enlightened few who have moved away from 8x magnification. But I knew it would be hard to ignore the 8.5x42 EL with its reputation as the reference binocular against which all others are judged. Or the Zeiss with its famous ‘3D pop’. Imagine my surprise then, when I handed all of these back and bought the used SLC HD!

Even on a bright, sunny day when theoretically there should be no discernable difference in brightness between all of these models, the image produced by the SLC HD seemed obviously better to me than all the rest. Brighter, more contrasty, better colour saturation, and as sharp as any of the others. Not only that, but it was also the only one which fell straight into the perfect position on my eye every time I lifted it. With all the others, I was aware of having to manoeuver them into position, but the SLC was bang-on, instantly, every time. A joy to use.

I confess I was very tempted to buy online on the strength of reviews alone, but I’m so glad I took the time to try them all, and I’m very grateful to the staff at Cley Spy for their patience. Not only did I find a binocular that (to my eye) is better than any of the models I was considering, but I got it for half the price I was prepared to pay. Couldn't be happier!

So. A guy walks into a shop and says: “I want the best binoculars in the world – don’t worry about the cost! What have you got?”. The very helpful shopkeeper asked all the right questions and then set out on the table beside the patio:

- Swarovision 8.5x42
- Swarovision 8x32
- Ultravid HD 7x42
- Victory 8x42 HT
- Victory 8x32 SF

Since I’d expressed interest in 42mm objectives, she also put on the table an SLC 8x42, and a used SLC 8x42 HD, but I pretty much dismissed them straight away because they look kind-of clunky compared to all the others, and I was committed to spending top dollar and didn’t want to settle for a ‘mid-range’ binocular.

I tried them all and there was one absolutely clear winner in my eye – head and shoulders above all the rest. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing though, so I tried them all again, and again, and again.

I’d originally walked into the shop thinking I would buy the 7x42 Ultravid, because I’ve been very impressed by reviews from the enlightened few who have moved away from 8x magnification. But I knew it would be hard to ignore the 8.5x42 EL with its reputation as the reference binocular against which all others are judged. Or the Zeiss with its famous ‘3D pop’. Imagine my surprise then, when I handed all of these back and bought the used SLC HD!

Even on a bright, sunny day when theoretically there should be no discernable difference in brightness between all of these models, the image produced by the SLC HD seemed obviously better to me than all the rest. Brighter, more contrasty, better colour saturation, and as sharp as any of the others. Not only that, but it was also the only one which fell straight into the perfect position on my eye every time I lifted it. With all the others, I was aware of having to manoeuver them into position, but the SLC was bang-on, instantly, every time. A joy to use.

I confess I was very tempted to buy online on the strength of reviews alone, but I’m so glad I took the time to try them all, and I’m very grateful to the staff at Cley Spy for their patience. Not only did I find a binocular that (to my eye) is better than any of the models I was considering, but I got it for half the price I was prepared to pay. Couldn't be happier!

A great reason to try before you buy :t:

Hmm 7x42 ultravid...sounds nice.

Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 is my favorite 8x. It's strength is it's brightness and extremely clear image. The Victory HT has the ability to show extra detail in dark areas and also at greater distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back