• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit spp, Worlds End , Wales ,UK , in May (1 Viewer)

Its worth remembering that Yellow-legged gull and Caspian Gull were distinct taxa from Herring Gull before they were spilt into species - all that happened is that they went from well-marked sub species into full species.

Meadow Pipit is at best clinal the separation of whistleri is regarded as dubious by many authorities.

There's a difference bewteen species and subspecies.

I don't have the moult guide to hand-but where is it stated that there are any moult differences in the dubiously separated forms of Mipit?

Your repeating yourself, as explained, there may be no information available on moult in Icelandic Meadow Pipits, you say they are the same species and yet you may believe Icelandic Meadow Pipit moult in February. I would say it would be more in line with those at Runcorn.

Yes, because you didn't appear to grasp what I said in my first post. The fact that there may be no information available on moult in Meadow Pipit from Iceland does not mean you can pluck facts from elsewhere and try to shoehorn them to fit your 'theory'.

Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis is a single species, it's got nothing to do with what I say, or don't say. They are the same species wherever in their distribution they occur / breed. If you are going to involve yourself in discussions about taxa and moult then please, please try to understand basic biological terminology.

I don't know, and have never claimed to know / believe, what the moult sequence of Meadow Pipit breeding in Iceland and western Greenland is. Dave Norman, in his article, states quite clearly he didn't know where the birds came from, only that there was a possibility they came from Iceland etc.
What would "be more in line with those at Runcorn"? That we don't know ( as stated )? Or ......?

Do you also appear on Birdforum as "Morninglight" and "Sushil"?

In Chris's mind I believe.

I'd leave the "interesting substances" alone , if I were you. Where have I said there was any difference? You're the one that 'sees' all kinds of differences for 'Icelandic' Mipit, from claiming Mipit with bold supercillia to posting articles about moult sequences. I''ll state clearly, and unambiguously my opinion. My belief is that Mipit are monotyipc. Mipit, like many monotypic species, may ( MAY ) differ in moult sequences, depending on whether they originate from the core area or the periphery. On present knowledge it is not known if Mipit breeding on Iceland are identifiable by moult or plumage. There may be ( MAY be ) some differences in moult timing but, we don't know. I hope this clarifies my position for you.

There's a difference bewteen species and subspecies.

Are you sure? You seem to have difficulty with the terms. To clarify your misconception ( and pointless diversion ) about Gulls.

1. First, there was 'just' Herring Gull.
2. Taxonomic work was carried out and "Herring Gull" became Herring Gull and Yellow-legged Gull.
3. More work was carried out and it was found that "Yellow-legged Gull" was Yellow-legged and Caspian Gull
4. After even more work "Herring Gull" became Eurasian and American Herring Gull.

What has happened is certain 'sub-species' of "Herring Gull" have been elevated to 'species' level. The species, as presently accepted were always present, just not recognised as such. "Seemples"

Are you sure? You seem to have difficulty with the terms. To clarify your misconception ( and pointless diversion ) about Gulls.

1. First, there was 'just' Herring Gull.
2. Taxonomic work was carried out and "Herring Gull" became Herring Gull and Yellow-legged Gull.
3. More work was carried out and it was found that "Yellow-legged Gull" was Yellow-legged and Caspian Gull
4. After even more work "Herring Gull" became Eurasian and American Herring Gull.

What has happened is certain 'sub-species' of "Herring Gull" have been elevated to 'species' level. The species, as presently accepted were always present, just not recognised as such. "Seemples"

Species and subspecies were defined by much cleverer people than yourself so take the argument up with them

Last edited:
I'd leave the "interesting substances" alone , if I were you. Where have I said there was any difference? You're the one that 'sees' all kinds of differences for 'Icelandic' Mipit, from claiming Mipit with bold supercillia to posting articles about moult sequences. I''ll state clearly, and unambiguously my opinion. My belief is that Mipit are monotyipc. Mipit, like many monotypic species, may ( MAY ) differ in moult sequences, depending on whether they originate from the core area or the periphery. On present knowledge it is not known if Mipit breeding on Iceland are identifiable by moult or plumage. There may be ( MAY be ) some differences in moult timing but, we don't know. I hope this clarifies my position for you.

Please clarify your term leave the interesting substances alone so I can then take the next appropriate action.

So, what have we learned?
1. Some Meadow Pipits can have a strong supercillium. Such birds can, and do appear in various populations. [ Most of us knew that. ]
2. All Meadow Pipits have a pre-breeding moult. The timing may vary. [ Perhaps only ringers knew that, but it is mentioned in The Handbook, BWP, 'Svensson' etc. ]
3. Meadow Pipit migration has a double peak. The latter coinciding with White Wagtail passage in northwest England. There is a possibility that these birds may be en route to the same breeding areas, but there is no hard proof. [ Until there is conformation, either way, anything else is 'blue sky thinking' ]
4. There is a suggestion that autumnal passage birds that are more brightly marked may originate in Iceland, but that is only opinion. Yet again, there is no hard proof. As Meadow Pipit are, almost, infinitely variable in regards to overall colour only a very long series of controlled birds from Iceland would prove, or disprove this. [ ditto ]
5. Some people don't half get ar*ed. ;)
6. 52 posts and ........

Don't you just love BF. :t:

I think we just need to study the food British and Icelandic meadow pipit like the most and the possible small difference might prove and explain the difference in supercillium? :)

I think we just need to study the food British and Icelandic meadow pipit like the most and the possible small difference might prove and explain the difference in supercillium? :)

I think the supercillium on Icelandic pipits is mimicing a the slim grass stems only found in the suburbs of Reykjavik whose from which the pipits pick off insects.

I am on the right thread?

Think the differences might come down to a surprise component of their diet - much as Flamingos go pink from certain enzymes when eating the shrimps in their environment, the apparent stronger supercilium and occasional rosy wash of Icelandic Pipits is almost certainly a reaction to the unique surface morphology and gustatory inputs of their food sources.

ref BB: Crustaceans in the Icelandic Meadow Pipit Diet

"... Do you also appear on Birdforum as "Morninglight" and "Sushil"?

There may be something in what you say here Chris. Similarities in grammar, (mis-)spelling, complete lack of comprehension and respect for others who know something of what they are talking about! He/they flit around the forum from thread to thread causing chaos, I'm sure of it. The recent dodgy Wigeon sp fiasco and the priceless Meadow/Water/Rock/Scandinavian Rock Pipit saga have doubtless caused no end of confusion to budding birders. No-one that calls himself a birder could be so dogmatic, pompous, immature and lacking in knowledge of birds and birding in real-life - or could they?

Think the differences might come down to a surprise component of their diet - much as Flamingos go pink from certain enzymes when eating the shrimps in their environment, the apparent stronger supercilium and occasional rosy wash of Icelandic Pipits is almost certainly a reaction to the unique surface morphology and gustatory inputs of their food sources.

ref BB: Crustaceans in the Icelandic Meadow Pipit Diet

:clap::clap: (you need to click on the link to appreciate this)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back