• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Focusers: facts at last. (1 Viewer)

I have evaluated my role in the side arguments. I find myself culpable in many regards. I am taking this opportunity to offer an apology to the forum at large. However, I also find that I, sure as heck, am not alone, by a long, long shot in that culpability. I don't think I am alone in needing to offer an apology for my role either. I am stopping that, on my part here and now. I hereby challenge everybody else to cease their role as well. People can not function in a civil society unless the people in the society are themselves civil. If we want a civil forum it is up to us to make it civil. The first step everyone needs to take is to refrain from giving overbearing forum trolls the oxygen they need to function. Just ignore them and hit the report the post button.

I will say I apologize, lord knows I fed the beast enough. My ignore button will get used.

Well, as long as others are fessing up - I need to probably do so as well. I went back and read my past couple pages of posts and there certainly are a couple that I made where I should have kept my thoughts to myself. So I am certainly culpable as well. For that I apologize.

There are really only a couple (2) of folks on here that tend to "bother" me- and that is really on me. I can decide to respond, or let it go, and even though the vast majority of the time I let it go; I really should do so all the time. It seems at times there is a big softball pitch put right in front of me, and for some reason at times I feel like stepping up and taking a swing. And it would be best to let those go right by, and not respond.

So I too will do my best to read ( or not) and let them go.

We spent a few days near Cherry Springs Park (Pennsylvania) catching meteors and gazing at the Milky Way. Great trip with a twist. Darn if my wife didn't damage her index finger. Doc says it's a proximal interphalangeal joint injury caused by excessive resistance in the focus wheel of my wife's Austrian binocular. She added, "Happens all the time and the situation is getting worse. I hope you're not hawk watchers." When I replied in the affirmative she winced adding, "We're setting up emergency clinics at Hawk Mountain and Cape May Point hawk watches this year to handle the ever-increasing finger-related injury workload. You should be covered if, or shall I say when, your index finger is traumatized. It's just a matter of time."

PS
Sign at a small convenience store: Welcome Meteors

We spent a few days near Cherry Springs Park (Pennsylvania) catching meteors and gazing at the Milky Way. Great trip with a twist. Darn if my wife didn't damage her index finger. Doc says it's a proximal interphalangeal joint injury caused by excessive resistance in the focus wheel of my wife's Austrian binocular. She added, "Happens all the time and the situation is getting worse. I hope you're not hawk watchers." When I replied in the affirmative she winced adding, "We're setting up emergency clinics at Hawk Mountain and Cape May Point hawk watches this year to handle the ever-increasing finger-related injury workload. You should be covered if, or shall I say when, your index finger is traumatized. It's just a matter of time."

PS

:-O

Statistics - Damn Lies! and Statistics! :D

Questions about the quality of .... individuals .... suffering from poor .... Anecdotal accounts are rarely the best basis for arriving at a .... UK dealer who .... describes his customers as 95% .... He estimated that less than 0.5% (i.e. less than 1 in 200) .... resulted in a complaint .... This is highly significant because ..... So there we have it.
Statements like "estimated 0.5%" is never a good sign of actually knowing the actual figures .......
..... penchant for anecdotal "evidence" get the better of ..... the potential reality of ..... anecdotal evidence. Fighting anecdotes with anecdotes is not a likely recipe for ..... a protocol for ..... any real idea of ..... every expectation th(at) some of the complaints are .... no doubt .... we will never know .... So I guess ......
Isn't that within the margin of error?
There are one or two posters on BF that are more than one or two standard deviations short of a normal distribution
I agree 99.99%, Vespo. Dealers are .... wonky .... customers .... who have .... issues with their .... over time .... rather than .... a .... tired ... suitcase full of .... wonky .... issues .... they've tried. .... Or some do find a .... break .... at least improves to the .... buyer .... a bit harder to .... stiff....

Other times, you have owners such a ..... stiff .... back .... he would have liked. One .... member .... instead of living with the stiff ..... he chose to sell .... eight million .... naked .... Kewpie Doll for the first person who gets that obscure .... he started this new crusade to prove ..... apparently hundreds .... weren't good enough for him.

The first thing he did was contact .... hunters. I was a bit puzzled by this, after all, why would someone .... hit me. .... because I wrote that .... most .... hunters .... use their bins for looking .... at .... fast .... fine .... birders .... play.

So why reinvent the wheel, literally, when .... you .... won't even notice? Well, it turns out that .... 1/3 .... must have at least made up 50%. Then there was a clarification .... that the percentage ..... was actually around 2/3. That's about what I expected. So there you have it confirmed by a .... surprise .... reliable data for .... wonky .... real figure is ... only ... anecdotal, .... whose data would be "useless and meaningless" (using his own words), he could get the truth (with a small "t") straight from the "horse's mouth" ....

Here they come like a pile up .....

haha, it could be,
if less than 200 bins are sold,
199*0.005 = 0.995 bins,

Your personal sample size of ZERO has yielded a 100% complaint rate. Sounds like a wonky poster to me.

.... Oh well, here is another anecdote ... Of course, it is anecdotal and statistically insignificant....

.... deep down inside .... It has 40% better .... about a 1/3 of .... so no amount of ... better .... Excuse me ... exactly ....

This kind of purse swinging really makes this forum look good to folks who want to learn.

ON AVERAGE, 83% OF ALL STATISTICS ARE MADE UP!!! :h?:

Chosun :gh:

PS

Would you accept it when you buy a brand new a Rolls Royce, and you find out the doors are squeeking and the steering wheel feels notchy, has play and is hard to drive in a straight line?

If you could feel the focuser of my little SV, I'm sure you would send it back in a heartbeat as well, and you wouldn't pretend if bad Swarovski focusers are non existent like you do now.
And when you would have experienced the same as what I have with Swaro service, I don't think you would make fun of it anymore as well.

We can just call it luck for you, or bad luck for me, but although I only own Swarovski binos and like them very, VERY much, if I have to name one weak(er) point, it surely would be the focuser. The focuser of my 50 is fine though, but it has a little bit of mechanical play in the focus knob. Fortunately there is no slack in the focus mechanism itself, so I'll take that for granted. The feel of this focuser (if it didn't have play) could be a perfect example for how a perfect focuser should feel. That's why I can't understand the sample variation is so big for a Alpha manufacturer. Some are almost perfect, some are totally $hit. I think I am the perfect example here.

Long story short, after forking out so much money for a bino, it's for each to his/her own to decide if the feel of the focuser is on the same level as the price.

Kind regards,

Gijs

Would you accept it when you buy a brand new a Rolls Royce, and you find out the doors are squeeking and the steering wheel feels notchy, has play and is hard to drive in a straight line?

To be fair this would be dangerous so no one would accept it.

I`v owned two Zeiss with iffy focus, 8x30 and 8x40 Conquest, one Leica and even my Nikon HgL developed play.

The best ever IMO was a Viking 6.5x32.

wouldn't pretend if bad Swarovski focusers are non existent like you do now.
And when you would have experienced the same as what I have with Swaro service, I don't think you would make fun of it anymore as well.

Gijs

Dear Gijs

I am sorry to hear about your problems and would not dream of making fun of them. I have had focuser problems myself (it is the one thing about binoculars that I am obsessive about) and for me it spoils using the binoculars that are affected. Indeed I had an EL myself many years ago that started life with an excellent focuser but within a few months it developed free play and a horrible roughness. I sent it to Absam and it came back much improved but not as good as it had been or should have been.

Believe me, nobody is saying Swaro does not produce some binoculars with bad focusers, but the conclusion I have reached is that they produce about the same number as the other two alphas and that it really is not many units. Of course you can say that the alphas should not produce any at all, and I think we would all agree with this.

So despite my experience and yours, and despite me finding several Swaros at last year's Bird Fair that had horrible focusers I don't believe Swaro has an exceptional problem with this.

For sure if you have a binocular that is affected then it is a miserable affair and we all hope you get it fixed soon.

Lee

Dear Gijs

I am sorry to hear about your problems and would not dream of making fun of them. I have had focuser problems myself (it is the one thing about binoculars that I am obsessive about) and for me it spoils using the binoculars that are affected. Indeed I had an EL myself many years ago that started life with an excellent focuser but within a few months it developed free play and a horrible roughness. I sent it to Absam and it came back much improved but not as good as it had been or should have been.

Believe me, nobody is saying Swaro does not produce some binoculars with bad focusers, but the conclusion I have reached is that they produce about the same number as the other two alphas and that it really is not many units. Of course you can say that the alphas should not produce any at all, and I think we would all agree with this.

So despite my experience and yours, and despite me finding several Swaros at last year's Bird Fair that had horrible focusers I don't believe Swaro has an exceptional problem with this.

For sure if you have a binocular that is affected then it is a miserable affair and we all hope you get it fixed soon.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I'm sure my story will have a happy end after all. I'm an optimistic guy|=)|
Also true that focuser issues occur with every brand, I've handled SF's with a heavy spot while focusing, 10x50SV's with the focuser rubbing against the armor, you name it.
It's also a fact that the more binos of a certain brand/model are sold, also the more issues will arise.
I totally agree with you that a smooth working focuser is VERY important in a binocular. And there are a LOT of Swarovskis sold around the world.

@torview I was aiming at comfort rather than safety when I made the comparison with the Rolls, but I get your point|=)|

Gijs

As a former scientist (now retired), with a reasonable knowledge of research principles, the issue (as has been stated eloquently already) is that there is no agreed measurable standard for the focus system, it is largely down to personal feel and therefore will inevitably remain subjective.
However on occasions I trust my own personal judgment, so here is my experience with Swarovski focusers. First, I do not own an Alpha but for the past two years have been using a sub-alpha which for me at least has an ideal focuser – super smooth, just enough range, just enough tension and no slop – but perhaps lacks the FOV and optics of Swarovski and Zeiss top end. It nevertheless provides me with a personal benchmark as regards ergonomics. I am therefore in the market, but in no particular hurry, to upgrade to an alpha, in part waiting to see how the SF launch variability settles down. Over the past 18 months I have travelled to Innsbruck on 4 occasions and each time have tried out Swarovski SLCs (I live somewhat remote from a UK Swarovski dealer and Zeiss are not so close either) so it is a convenient opportunity.
• At the flagship Swarovski store (amongst the mass of so called jewelry) they have the full complement of binoculars on display – on each visit I have tried the SLCs (I am susceptible to RB so no EL), result, all had what for me were unsatisfactory focusers - sticky / gritty to greater or lesser degree and/or with noticeable variable tension depending on which way it was turned
• At the main optic store in the town (2 visits), again tried SLCs’ – similar outcome, on one occasion one SLC was marginally acceptable
• At a large hunting store (1 visit) tried another SLC, it was the worst of the lot, and one Zeiss HT 8x42, near perfect
For those who may suggest that they were the same demo models, unlikely as I was assured they changed them reasonably frequently as a result of their periodic sales, I cannot quantify. I enquired whether potential buyers questioned the focus mechanism, the answer in the two main stores was that most people did not comment, of those that did most were reassured that they would “bed in ok”. It seems a few – again I cannot quantify the number – were put off buying. I have never asked about returns. There is no conclusion here except for me – so far I have not tried a Swarovski that I would feel confident in buying based on my personal empirical evidence and when set against my own personal benchmark. I plan to try an SF on my next trip in October, the Optic store now have them in stock, so it will be between this and an HT as I plan to buy on this occasion. I do not intend to try any more Swarovskis’. It seems if sales hold up despite this apparently well known issue the company is unlikely to embark on what might be a costly permanent fix – presuming they see it this way. I am however surprised that they had not ‘quality assured’ stock in at least their home territory store. I will therefore prove a ‘lost’ potential customer.

Barrie

Questions about the quality of Swarovski focusers have been raised from time to time and perhaps this is not surprising given that there have been not only complaints from individuals but also reports of multiple units suffering from poor focusers. One of these latter reports was from myself.

Anecdotal accounts are rarely the best basis for arriving at a conclusion so I contacted a main UK dealer who sells nearly 20 brands of binoculars including all three alpha brands to ask if they could outline what their experience has been in this regard.

The dealer, who describes his customers as 95% birders and general users, was quite clear that while the level of complaints that he receives about Swarovski focusers is not quite as good as one other alpha it is at least as good as, and perhaps a little better than the other alpha*. To put it another way I interpret this as Swaro being average amongst the alpha brands.

Significantly, my contact put a number on it. He estimated that less than 0.5% (i.e. less than 1 in 200) Swarovski binoculars sold resulted in a complaint about the focuser.

This is highly significant because in the UK our cultural practice when we receive faulty goods from a dealer is to take this up with the dealer. We don’t want our faulty unit mending by the manufacturer, we want another unit that functions as it should and we go back to our supplier to sort this out. When I asked the dealer if some of his customers might contact Swarovski directly he answered with a strong ‘no’. In any case from his estimate, Swarovski does not stand out from the other alphas as having a different level of problem.

So there we have it. Testimony directly from a long-established dealer clearly indicating that Swarovski does not have a problem with their focusers.

Lee

Lee,

I don't recall ever reading any complaints about the focuser on the late, lamented 8x30 SLC (other than the fact that one had to use one's ring finger to focus it) which focused by moving its two 30mm objective lenses and Swarovski made this binocular for about 30 years.

It focuses smoothly and precisely and even my wife has no trouble turning it with her ring finger.

It is clear to me that Swarovski can make smooth focusers and if the ones on other models are a bit "ratchety," like the one on my 7x42 SLC B is, it is probably because Swarovski has a reason for it.

Bob

Despite the intent of this thread, it appears the opposite to be true.

Pessimistic there James.

Its never been doubted that duff focusers can be found on Swaros just as I have had them on Zeisses and others have on Leicas.

The question in my mind was whether this indicated a bigger problem at Swaro than with the other alphas and if so how to explain Swarovski's huge popularity.

I am convinced there is no exceptional problem with Swaro focusers but my sympathy goes out to anyone who finds they have a bad one.

Lee

Lee,

I don't recall ever reading any complaints about the focuser on the late, lamented 8x30 SLC (other than the fact that one had to use one's ring finger to focus it) which focused by moving its two 30mm objective lenses and Swarovski made this binocular for about 30 years.

It focuses smoothly and precisely and even my wife has no trouble turning it with her ring finger.

It is clear to me that Swarovski can make smooth focusers and if the ones on other models are a bit "ratchety," like the one on my 7x42 SLC B is, it is probably because Swarovski has a reason for it.

Bob

I have always rather admired the old 8x30 for daring to be a bit different with the focuser position. And I can never walk past the Habicht porros without picking them up even though I really don't get on with the porro shape in my hands.

I am sure Swaro can and does make decent focusers all the time, but I am equally sure all the alphas could do better in the is respect if they tried a bit harder.

Lee

Maybe focusers that use no lubricant are inherently more prone to inconsistencies, my Leica UVHD was similar to many Swaro`s I`v tried, luckily my SV is extremely smooth.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back