• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope or Lens (1 Viewer)

birdeast

Hi all,

I have been thoroughly enjoying my Nikon D50 and Sigma 80-300mm APO DG Macro. The camera output is to my amateur eyes breathtaking. The lens seems to have its moments as well.

I wont to continue to expand my photographic capabilities. To this end, I have been thinking about buying a spotting scope or a better lens. I am currently stuck between the 2. I am hoping that some of the very helpful people on this board can help me with my thinking process.

What do I want to do:

Extend my photo range (like everyone else :bounce: ) I want to be able to get good clean images at say 50 meters. Most of these images would either be against blue sky or against water.

What am I considering:

Scope: Televue 60 or Pentax 65ed (leaning heavily towards the TV)

Lens: Sigma 100-300 f4, Sigma 80-400 or Bigma

Issues:

1) I know that none of the lens mentioned will be taking full-frame images at 50meters. A good lens I am hoping will help me to increase range a bit, but at the same time give me a little more consistency. I have already missed some excellent opportunities possibly because of the Sigma 80-300

2) I was really hoping to digiscope with the D50. However, I have been reading lately regarding issues with fstop when using a DSLR. If I am using 50mm 1.8 lens with a f6.0 scope (ie the TV60), what kind of total fstop would I be looking at? Would it suffice under the conditions mentioned above?

Summary, I want to digiscope with the D50, but if it is impractical, I will focus more on my DSLR photos for the next several months. I just want to understand what the digiscoping potential is for the D50. I also would like some feedback pertaining to lens and what of the 3 mentioned will deliver the sharpest 'potential'

As usual, thanks for the input

Scott

birdeast said:
Hi all,

I have been thoroughly enjoying my Nikon D50 and Sigma 80-300mm APO DG Macro. The camera output is to my amateur eyes breathtaking. The lens seems to have its moments as well.

I wont to continue to expand my photographic capabilities. To this end, I have been thinking about buying a spotting scope or a better lens. I am currently stuck between the 2. I am hoping that some of the very helpful people on this board can help me with my thinking process.

What do I want to do:

Extend my photo range (like everyone else :bounce: ) I want to be able to get good clean images at say 50 meters. Most of these images would either be against blue sky or against water.

What am I considering:

Scope: Televue 60 or Pentax 65ed (leaning heavily towards the TV)

Lens: Sigma 100-300 f4, Sigma 80-400 or Bigma

Issues:

1) I know that none of the lens mentioned will be taking full-frame images at 50meters. A good lens I am hoping will help me to increase range a bit, but at the same time give me a little more consistency. I have already missed some excellent opportunities possibly because of the Sigma 80-300

2) I was really hoping to digiscope with the D50. However, I have been reading lately regarding issues with fstop when using a DSLR. If I am using 50mm 1.8 lens with a f6.0 scope (ie the TV60), what kind of total fstop would I be looking at? Would it suffice under the conditions mentioned above?

Summary, I want to digiscope with the D50, but if it is impractical, I will focus more on my DSLR photos for the next several months. I just want to understand what the digiscoping potential is for the D50. I also would like some feedback pertaining to lens and what of the 3 mentioned will deliver the sharpest 'potential'

As usual, thanks for the input

Scott

Scott,

My only thought about using the D50 w/ the 60-65mm scopes is that you'll lose a lot more photo opportunities due to poor lighting conditions than if you were to use the 100-400mm or Bigma lenses. Both are hand-holdable and will give you far more shooting opportunities than the digiscoping setup. That said, I carry both a digiscoping setup and 400mm f/5.6 on a D70 so I get the best of both worlds (now if my wife will let me have her camera with a shorter zoom I'll have it all - but won't be able to move....)

Good luck w/ your decision,

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back