• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Got my 'birds seen or heard whilst watching cricket list 2010' (!) off and running at Durham City's Racecourse ground today.
Nothing too exciting (birds or cricket) with Cormorant, Mallard, Sparrowhawk, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush and Chiffchaff being the best of a bad bunch.
Trust the Nottinghamshire players to get in the way of a class Pied Wag photo, apparently they were debating its credentials for White Wagtail ;)

Attachments

• Dur.UCCEvNotts. 019.jpg
    Dur.UCCEvNotts. 019.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 147
Got my 'birds seen or heard whilst watching cricket list 2010' (!) off and running at Durham City's Racecourse ground today.
Nothing too exciting (birds or cricket) with Cormorant, Mallard, Sparrowhawk, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush and Chiffchaff being the best of a bad bunch.
Trust the Nottinghamshire players to get in the way of a class Pied Wag photo, apparently they were debating its credentials for White Wagtail ;)

Couple of years back there was a Crane seeing flying over Chester Cricket Ground. I presume during a match.:t:

Visit to Weardale/Teesdale yesterday:
Pair Goosander near the ford at Stanhope which swam upstream, no sign of any Dippers.

Called at Bolihope quary to check for Ring ousel, walked about 1/2 mile upstream where we saw pied wag, mipits, mallard, lapwing, BH gull and a few rabits. On the way back to the car, flushed 2 Ring ousel which flew over towards the Quary area then across the road onto the fields above the other part of the quary. No chance of a photo:C, but a first time view for me:t:.

Plenty red grouse, lapwing & mipits over the moors and the odd golden plover seen just before the sign for Teesdale.

Golden plover, lapwing, pied wagtail, kestrel & a couple Wheatear seen at Cow Green Res,

Not a single black grouse seen throughout the journey and the only raptor was the kestrel at Cow Green.

Managed to get one of IanF's red grouse to pose on the wall, on our return;).

Also, nice bumping into Glen on the way back:t:,as we were looking for dippers, managed a glimps of one as it flashed by us, heading down stream.
Hope your Woodcock turned out O.K. Glen!.

Excellent day weatherwise, but a bit disapointing birdwise.

Attachments

• _MG_4788.JPG
    _MG_4788.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 114
  • _MG_4795.JPG
    _MG_4795.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 126
  • _MG_7585.JPG
    _MG_7585.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 109
  • _MG_7599.JPG
    _MG_7599.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 124
  • _MG_7609.JPG
    _MG_7609.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 119
A few others from yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_4673.JPG
    _MG_4673.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_4852.JPG
    _MG_4852.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 111
  • _MG_4863.JPG
    _MG_4863.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 115
  • _MG_4889.JPG
    _MG_4889.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 125
  • _MG_7738.JPG
    _MG_7738.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 133
An unusual, but very welcome, visitor to our garden this morning when a brambling called in briefly.

I just wondered if this is unusually late for a garden brambling record. The only other one I've seen here in seven years was in the depths of winter.

Malcolm

An unusual, but very welcome, visitor to our garden this morning when a brambling called in briefly.

I just wondered if this is unusually late for a garden brambling record. The only other one I've seen here in seven years was in the depths of winter.

Malcolm

Many have moved on but there's still a few around. One at Cowpen Bewley W.Pk. is still getting seen at the car park tables.

Many have moved on but there's still a few around. One at Cowpen Bewley W.Pk. is still getting seen at the car park tables.

Cheers, Ian. Funnily enough I saw one at Cowpen Bewley a few weeks back. Just didn't expect to see one in the garden in the middle of April.

Also, nice bumping into Glen on the way back:t:,
Hope your Woodcock turned out O.K. Glen!.

Excellent day weatherwise, but a bit disapointing birdwise.
Good to see you and your better half once again Ray:t:.
It was a struggle with it being so close but I managed to get a couple in focus;).
I post a couple when I get them sorted:t:.

Woodcock.

Had a trip to Bollihope on Monday hoping to see my first Wheatear and Ring Ouzel of the year and managed to get a glimpse of both:t:.
But the highlight was a Woodcock which I nearly stepped on, just managing to stop with my foot inches above its head:eek!:.

Attachments

• Woodcock1.jpg
    Woodcock1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 118
  • Woodcock2.jpg
    Woodcock2.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Woodcock3.jpg
    Woodcock3.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 105
  • Woodcock4.jpg
    Woodcock4.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Woodcock5.jpg
    Woodcock5.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 89
Dormans Pool - am - Hooded Merganser on pool below top car park - flew in/out three times. Last seen heading towards Petroplus pools. Cettis Warbler by rusty tank but active moving to the start of the track/junction with main rood.

Rec Pond - Black-necked Grebe.

RSPB Saltholme - White-fronted Goose along path to Saltholme Hide. Black-tailed Godwit x21 on Bottom Tank.

Longnewton-Coatham Stob - pm - Barn Owl x2. Swallow x2 by Coatham Stob car park plus Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, LTT, Kestrel, Mipit and Skylark and a deer.

Attachments

• IMG_9450ao.jpg
    IMG_9450ao.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9465ao.jpg
    IMG_9465ao.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9617aoo.jpg
    IMG_9617aoo.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0094ao.jpg
    IMG_0094ao.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0095ao.jpg
    IMG_0095ao.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 106
After a bit of a cloudy start it turned into a lovely sunny day for a ride out to the west side of the County.

The Stang - lots of Red Grouse, Curlew and Lapwing around. The first bird of note was a Jay feeding on a rabbit carcass on the road through the forest. Crossbill 20+ were flitting about near the top edge with similar numbers of Siskin and Goldfinch plus a few Linnet, Greenfinch and Dunnock. The Crossbills were in the roadside trees again but only two were coming down to the grit, likewise just two Siskin though I only stayed 30 mins as from my last visit I realised a later visit would be better light and planned on returning but ran out of time. Heading back down I came across a Kestrel and a Mistle Thrush.

Deepdale, Barnard Castle - a real blessing that the 'water-board' bridge across the River Tees reopened this week. Several Nuthatch, Wren, Robin, Blackcap and Willow Warbler were calling in the woods on the Barney side of the river. No sign of Grey Wagtail or Dipper in Percy Beck this time and nothing on the stones by the bandstand.

Lots of birds heard singing as soon as I entered Deepdale with Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Robin, Chaffinch and Blackbird near the entrance. Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and another Chiffchaff were a little further along. I counted eight Bullfinch spread between the entrance and Raygill.

It was nice to see a pair of Dipper nesting in the traditional spot in the bankside once again. A pair of Grey Wagtail were in the streambed below.

I got all excited when I thought I'd found a LSW when I heard a quietish call and slow drumming from the remains of a tree they used to use but it turned out to be a GSW painstakingly pecking away. A hole in a tree on the other side of the valley looked recently bored out though it had two older holes as well.

Two Sand Martin were hunting flies over one of the clearings as well.

Bolliehope was the next stop where I bumped into Hilary and DaveJ who'd also gone looking for Ring Ouzel. I saw five in the end but no close views other than one flying overhead. Dave and Hilary had better luck when a pair flew onto the quarry face just as they were passing. Other birds there were Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush, Red Grouse, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Wheatear, Curlew, Starling, Lapwing, Black-headed Gull and a Red Kite soaring very high. It seemed a little odd that despite it's height a Lapwing was still repeatedly mobbing the Kite even as it disappeared from view towards Teesdale. It looks as though the Kite may have sustained some damage.

Having spent so long at Bolliehope I ran out of time and had to head back east to collect the wife from work.

Attachments

• IMG_0191ao.jpg
    IMG_0191ao.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0276aoo.jpg
    IMG_0276aoo.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0574ao.jpg
    IMG_0574ao.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0597ao.jpg
    IMG_0597ao.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0644ao.jpg
    IMG_0644ao.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 99
Quite a crowd present this evening to watch the Barn Owls. I came across two out hunting. Shrew seems to be on the menu.

Attachments

• IMG_0835ao.jpg
    IMG_0835ao.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0829ao.jpg
    IMG_0829ao.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0765ao.jpg
    IMG_0765ao.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0827ao.jpg
    IMG_0827ao.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0755ao.jpg
    IMG_0755ao.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 118
Tunstall Resevoir and Bollihope

Spent morning at Tunstall Res Woods looking for Redstart and Pied Flys, however only heard 1 Redstart (around the hollies) and after hour and half searching couldnt find it, no sign of Pied Flys. Moved on to Bollihope very busy there and no sign of Ouzels. I did see this Pipit - its manner was very different to a Meadow Pipit -more like a Wagtail- and with pinkish legs and eys stripe, and finer stripes on underside I think its a Tree Pipit, also saw Wheatear and Red Grouse.

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Tree Pipit.jpg
    Tree Pipit.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Spent morning at Tunstall Res Woods looking for Redstart and Pied Flys, however only heard 1 Redstart (around the hollies) and after hour and half searching couldnt find it, no sign of Pied Flys. Moved on to Bollihope very busy there and no sign of Ouzels. I did see this Pipit - its manner was very different to a Meadow Pipit -more like a Wagtail- and with pinkish legs and eys stripe, and finer stripes on underside I think its a Tree Pipit, also saw Wheatear and Red Grouse.
I would say that was a Tree pipit .

Two Common Cranes were at Crookfoot Reservoir this morning. They were on the Durham side and after a while feeding they headed off north.

Not a lot else seen this morning other than hearing the Cetti's Warbler below the top car park at Dormans Pool.

Even Saltholme seemed pretty quiet.

Attachments

• IMG_1696a.jpg
    IMG_1696a.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1711a.jpg
    IMG_1711a.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1821a.jpg
    IMG_1821a.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1860a.jpg
    IMG_1860a.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1761a.jpg
    IMG_1761a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 73
Any news on a reported American Wigeon in the Saltholme area
Eg. Where, and is it Male? Thanks :)

Yep! A male.

It seems pretty unsettled/active flying between the various ponds. It's been on Paddys Pool, Saltholme West and Saltholme East. My luck ddin't hold today. I'd arrived at Saltholme Hide a few minutes after it flew to Saltholme East pond so I headed around to the road only to see it fly back towards the hide. Whoever was in the hide must have got some great views as it was right in front of the hide several minutes before flying to the SW side of the reserve.

A few Swifts around today plus a few more Swallows with the Sand Martins.

Attachments

• IMG_2022aoo.jpg
    IMG_2022aoo.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1989aoo.jpg
    IMG_1989aoo.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2029aoo.jpg
    IMG_2029aoo.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2086a.jpg
    IMG_2086a.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2085a.jpg
    IMG_2085a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 73
Local Patch 2010

Been a good couple of day's for birds returning or passing through the local patch (Birtley/Kibblesworth), Wheatear (#100), Grasshopper Warbler (#101), Whitethroat (#102), House Martin (#103) & Redstart (#104).

Attachments

• 20042010 021.jpg
    20042010 021.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20042010 026.jpg
    20042010 026.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back