• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recovering lost files (Uk) (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I currently have two Iomega Prestige external drives that I have been using to back up both Raw and Jpeg files from my Apple Mac.
Although most of my data has been duplicated and backed up on both drives I believe some of my recent files had only been copied to one of these.
Unfortunately when I switch on the drive I get an error message stating that the drive cannot be read on my PC (Mac). The drive itself has power and the relevant LED's etc still light up.
I have eliminated any possibilty of faulty cables etc and recently taken the drive to a computer company that offers to recover lost data etc.
However they have indicated that they cannot find any Jpeg files and due with issues concerning the partitioning the Raw files may also be damaged and non recoverable.
I would therefore appreciate any advice / recommendations etc as to where I can get the drive looked at with a view to recovering any lost photographs without breaking the bank as some estimates suggest.
For the record I am in West Sussex nr Gatwick so anywhere local may be an advantage (although obviously I can send the drive away).
I am not sure If I can download or purchase software to do this myself ?
Any help much appreciated.

Eos

Hi Eos, more details please ;)

Exact make/model# of the ext. drive, what format was the drive originally (HFS/HFS+/FAT32), do you use any software to backup, any encryption used?

Thanks for the Info and feedback.
I have now contacted them via email and hope to hear from them shortly.
I have already taken the drive to a laptop company who tried to recover the files without success so fingers crossed I may have better luck.

I had the same problem; it was solved by www.kingdomdatarecovery.co.uk.
Very helpful and found all my unobtainable files from a dead hard drive.

[email protected]
0131 208 0008

I recently had a friend with a corrupted CF card, which had some images readable but not others that had been taken. These were images of a one-off event and could certainly not have been replicated. Only jpgs were involved in this case. (The fact that the medium in question was a CF card is not really relevant to the solution.)

I originally tried to `repair' the card (using the disk utility software on Mac OS X), but that did not do anything.

I can report very good results with using Photorec
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec which is available free.

It recovered 80 images and my friend was very grateful to have these.

However, this software comes with a command line interface and that may not be easy for a user who isn't reasonably familiar with this kind of thing. It is a companion program to testdisk (which is a more generic program for dealing with fautly disks), and one of the two may do the trick for you. It does not do anything to the volume in question, so experimenting wouldn't cost you anything but the time invested if you can make sense of the documentation. It runs on a very good selection of operating systems as well!

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back