• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes 06-10-12 (1 Viewer)

Eddie the 'ed

Was at Middleton Lakes yesterday (8.15-12.30) for my monthly Volunteer Warden (VW) duty. Was quite a busy day and plenty of visitors about so I couldn't do full counts but managed to see the following birds:

Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Shoveler, Wigeon, Gadwall, Mallard, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Pheasant (6 males in a group), Little Egret, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot (200+), Lapwing (150+), Black-headed Gull, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker (on the feeders), Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Jay (3), Magpie, Rook (100+), Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch.

There were a few other birds about but I didn't get a good enough look to be certain of an ID. Highlight was definitely the standoff between the prowling Buzzard and 40-50 very noisy Rooks which took turns dive-bombing the Buzzard until it had enough and gave up.

Last edited:
Was at Middleton Lakes yesterday (8.15-12.30) for my monthly Volunteer Warden (VW) duty. Was quite a busy day and plenty of visitors about so I couldn't do full counts but managed to see the following birds:

Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Shoveler, Wigeon, Gadwall, Mallard, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Pheasant (6 males in a group), Little Egret, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot (200+), Lapwing (150+), Black-headed Gull, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker (on the feeders), Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Jay (3), Magpie, Rook (100+), Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch.

There were a few other birds about but I didn't get a good enough look to be certain of an ID. Highlight was definitely the standoff between the prowling Buzzard and 40-50 very noisy Rooks which took turns dive-bombing the Buzzard until it had enough and gave up.

Hi Eddie , you might be interested in this thread on the Local patch section.
Your contribution might add to that thread. B :)John
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2555996#post2555996

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back