• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Swaro ATS80 30x + Coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

TobyRobertson

I've just bought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 which I want to attach to my old-style Swarovski ATS80 scope with 30x wide angle lens. Knowing nothing about adapters but having read Andy Bright's reviews at www.digiscoped.com, I phoned LCE at Winchester but was told they no longer make the 28mm adapter for this combination.

Andy's review says the 28mm adapter is a "major improvement" over the earlier LCE design for the Coolpix, so I'm reluctant to use a step-down ring without finding out more. How much extra vignetting is caused by using a 37mm thread and step-down ring? Can I get hold of the 28mm adapter from anywhere, and if not, what is the best alternative choice of adapter for my equipment?

All help greatly appreciated.

Toby,

Firstly, on behalf of all the Moderators and Admin, let me welcome you to Bird Forum. You've certainly come to the right place to have questions like this answered. You'll find that there are some quite knowledgable members who are only too happy to pass on advice and help.

We look forward to seeing your photos once you've got your kit sorted out.

Now, I have a 28mm LCE adapter going spare, but I'm not sure if it will fit your scope eyepiece. I bought it for the Opticron ES80, but have since changed to a camera that the adapter will not fit.

The diameter of the end that fits over the eyepiece is about 40mm so measure your eyepiece and see if the adapter will fit.

Alternatively, if you do decide to go for the 37mm adapter, I also have a 28-37mm step ring that I no longer need for the same reason that I don't need the adapter. I have an EagleEye 5x zoom and the step ring was needed to fit that to my old Coolpix 995. It fits to my new camera by a different size ring.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Felipe, the "Coolfix" adapters for which you sent a link seem to cater only for the Coolpix 5000 and 5700 models.

Diane, the diameter of my eyepiece is smaller than 40mm, about 36mm. Presumably with a bit of effort I could use the screws on your old LCE adapter to hold the eyepiece centrally in the tube. Or perhaps I could stick 2mm thick strips of rubber to the inside to ensure a snug fit. What do you think? Should we go offline and negotiate?!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back