• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mirror lenses on a DSLR? (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
I have found my old Tamron 500mm mirror lens from back when I was shooting slide film in the 1980's. I now have a Canon 750D and am wondering whether it is worth while getting a T adapter to attach said mirror lens to the camera. The adapter being many many times cheaper than a 500mm lens.

If you are old school , shoot manual with F8 for your widest aperture . Could be fun on a tripod , those images from the german site look sharper than similar lenses I have used .

Used my old 500mm OM cat on my not so old Olympus 4/3 E1 slr way back - as the effective focal length was 1000mm I found a very rigid tripod and remote release necessary. Focussing was pedestrian to put it mildly, but results were OK. Dreaded fungus had got the lens when brought out for testing on a modern system last year, so no longer viable.

Great fun and good results were possible, but focussing was far faster and generally more accurate on a film OM with the right focussing screen fitted as you might expect. Modern in-body image stabilisation would have really improved success rate though.

In the past I have sourced adaptors from these folks in Dunstable who used to be excellent when I last used them - they do Tamron to both kinds of EOS adaptors and it might be worth your while giving them a ring to see what they recommend.

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/lens-adaptors-1167-c.asp?_=&LENS=Tamron

A bit more expensive than the direct from Chinese option, but easier to talk to.

Good luck - the better mirror systems were far more practical than the affordable 500mm refractors of the period.

Sourced an adapter - less than £7.00 from Amazon - arrived today, have attached lens to camera just got to wait for tomorrow to try it out

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back