• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher colouring UK (1 Viewer)

Finlayson

Nowadays I prefer a glass of wine.
Hi Folks, not an ID question this but a general question - why does the blue back stripe on a KF appear so bright and colourful compared to the rest of the blue plumage ? ... is it becouse :-

1. Its a genuinly different colour ?
2. The feathers are the some colour as the rest of the plumage but
formed in a ridge which refracts the ligh at a diferent angle.

Your wise input and observations greatly appreciated .... John Finlayson.

Attachments

• KF.jpg
    KF.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 123
Hi John,

I've caught, handled and released a significant number of Kingfishers in the course of ringing activities and can assure you that no special refractive ridge exists. Each individual feather really is that amazing colour and differs markedly from the colouration of the feathers covering the rest of the body.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, not an ID question this but a general question - why does the blue back stripe on a KF appear so bright and colourful compared to the rest of the blue plumage ? ... is it becouse :-

1. Its a genuinly different colour ?
2. The feathers are the some colour as the rest of the plumage but
formed in a ridge which refracts the ligh at a diferent angle.

Your wise input and observations greatly appreciated .... John Finlayson.

intriguing topic- others with more knowledge will be along hopefully, but my limited grip on this is that

--bue colour in birds is very rarely a result of pigmentation

--its produced by feather structure scattering light (air pockets within the feathers)

--so could well be that kingfisher rump/back hackles are internally structured for extra intense colour from scatter, compared to other blue, blueish looking feathers

--plus of course there's the point that the rump/back hackles may also affect UV light differently to other feathers, so to another Kingfisher that backstripe might be more or less striking than it looks to us

Last edited:
Yes there`s no blue pigment in the feathers in fact the bright colouration serves as a warning to predators.In fact they have no predators because the flesh tastes awful apparently.

Steve.

You can also tell the sex of your kingfisher by the shade of blue. Males are a rich bright blue , females are a greenish blue.

Someone has eaten a kingfisher?

Someone has tasted pretty mush anything and everything. If I remember rightly Darwin was a member of a society that ate a wide variety if species, the name of which had something to do with gluttony, and prided themselves on eating rare species, at least rare to the taste buds. Google it, see what comes up.

Adam

The RSPB prosected a guy for killing a golden eagle once. His defence was that he was shooting a pheasant and the eagle got in his line of fire. The judge asked what he did with the eagle and he said he ate it."You ATE a golden eagle. What did it taste like." "It tasted a bit like Red Kite".
Ho, Hum. I must be in a good mood for a change.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back