• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did my BBS route yesterday (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
What's a BBS route? It's the North American Breeding Bird Survey - done annually all over N.America, to try and scientifically look at long term population trends of bird species in particular areas. This is my 7th year doing my route, called "Dean-Chapter" after a local lake along the way.

The participant is assigned a route, which he is expected to repeat for as many years as possible. You can choose a date between 28 May and 7 July, and start at dawn. You drive from stop to stop - each stop is 0.8km (0.5 miles) apart, and there are 50 from start to finish. At each stop you get out, listen and look for exactly 3 minutes, and note the number and species of every bird seen or heard, and then record them on a scannable form. Each stop remains the same year to year, for accurate comparisons.

I always decide to do my route the evening before, as it's much better if the weather is good, so this year I decided on Saturday to do it on Sunday - which meant getting up at 3:30 a.m. and driving to the start of the route by 5:00. The route is basically 40km of rural roads, most of which is dirt logging roads through mixed forest (which is continually being logged), but by now I love doing the route annually, and it's become like an old friend. This year my wife came along to help record, while I shouted out phrases like "another Ovenbird; 2 Robins over there; a Least - no, Yellow-bellied, Flycatcher" and so forth.

This year it was calm, cloudless and beautifully clear, and because it's been a cold Spring, hardly any blackflies - most unusual. We recorded 55 species - by now we know what to expect at most stops, e.g. Wilson's Snipe at Stop 1, Alder Flycatchers at certain Stops near the beginning, Ovenbirds, Magnolia Warblers, and Hermit Thrushes galore, and always the possibility of a surprise. This year it was a Great Cormorant flying overhead with some Double Cresteds - rare in Summer, and rare inland. Compared to previous years, most flycatcher, thrushes and warbler numbers were about the same, Ruby-crowned Kinglets were down, Ruffed Grouse were up, and so on.

At the end we celebrated with a Macdonalds' breakfast, and went home for a snooze, that lasted most of the day!

Here are a couple of shots, 1 of the typical habitat, and 1 of a Redstart I digiscoped at Stop 40.

Attachments

• 001 BBS route copy-sm.jpg
    001 BBS route copy-sm.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN4736 copy-sm.jpg
    DSCN4736 copy-sm.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 118
Hi RB,

Sounds interesting. There's a similar BBS in Britain, but it is rather different in methodology - it covers a 1 km square, which is done on foot, recording all the birds noted along two 1 km transects across the square on two visits. It starts (and finishes) a lot earlier in the year, March/April for the first visit, mid/late May or June for the second. Are the dates for yours the same throughout North America, or does it vary with location, earlier in the south?

Can imagine your method would be something of a chore for birders who don't have cars.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back