• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Two barnacle geese my highlight at longham today. Hoopoe still showing well and smew asleep on island. Heard reports of yellow legged gull but could only find a small lesser black back, plus reports on birdguides of whooper swans flying past.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040792.jpg
    P1040792.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 72
Brother just rang me trying to describe a large grebe sp. on the stour in Bournemouth. Thought it could be Red-necked but he has just sent me a photo, turns out it was 2 redhead Goosanders! Do you guys get many records?

Brother just rang me trying to describe a large grebe sp. on the stour in Bournemouth. Thought it could be Red-necked but he has just sent me a photo, turns out it was 2 redhead Goosanders! Do you guys get many records?

there is one possibly 2 birds being seen regularly near Longham Bridge at the moment, but they are quite unusual most years.

Flock of Waxwings (45) showing well today near Old Town School and Green Close, Poole. After Rowans near Sainsburys carpark. Coming to a Rowan near you? What fabulous birds they are.

Ray and Pat

Attachments

• Waxwings-1.jpg
    Waxwings-1.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
First visit to Dorset....help please

Hi
I am planning to visit Dorset next spring, and as well as doing the tourist bit (first visit ! ) I would like to get some solid birding in - Radipole/Fleet/Portland etc. Could any of you Dorset birders suggest the best time to visit & places to go to get a good spread of local birds ( now, now, behave yourselves ) and is sea-watching on the cards, if so from where?
Initial thoughts are the week that includes That Wedding - gotta get away - but advice most welcome. Thanks.
Merry Xmas & a very good birding New Year to all.
ajay

14 Waxwings in Larksmead in Blandford this morning including six in a Rowan tree in our garden. Needless to say I was at work, but my wife very kindly took some photos.

I see on Birdguides that there were 24 Waxwings in Old Farm Gardens also in Blandford this afternoon.

Hi
I am planning to visit Dorset next spring, and as well as doing the tourist bit (first visit ! ) I would like to get some solid birding in - Radipole/Fleet/Portland etc. Could any of you Dorset birders suggest the best time to visit & places to go to get a good spread of local birds ( now, now, behave yourselves ) and is sea-watching on the cards, if so from where?
Initial thoughts are the week that includes That Wedding - gotta get away - but advice most welcome. Thanks.
Merry Xmas & a very good birding New Year to all.
ajay

portland will be in full swing at that time of year, plenty of common migrants plus the chance of some rarities. The fleet will probably be quite quiet but still a very pleasant walk.

Longham Lakes 14/12/2010 11:30-13:00

Still much of the surface of both lakes frozen. Several birders we met had not seen Hoopoe or the Smew.

Only 1 each of Heron and Little Egret.

Common Gull 5; Herring Gull 15; Lesser B B Gull 4; Greater B B Gull 1 however constant traffic of gulls between here and White's Tip on Canford Heath.

Snipe 2

Electricity helicopter checking pylons disturbed flock of geese on fields to the west, flew over the lakes to the Golf course
Canada Geese 60+; Barnacle Geese 2.

Lots of Gadwall and Tufties also
Teal 5; Pochard 52; Shoveler 2 (pair sleeping on Island);

Goosander 4 (redheads) flew over SW corner of lakes and appeared to land on the river.

To the north of the large island one Scaup type female (photo attached). Lacked grey vermiculations on the back but small black nail on a bill which was larger and differently shaped to Tufties. Slightly larger than Tufties and higher in the water with very pronounced and clearly demarcated white patches around the bill. Possibly Hybrid Scaupxtufted or pure Scaup?

Redwing 5; Song Thrush 1.

Ray and Pat

Attachments

• scauptype_1.jpg
    scauptype_1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 61
  • scauptype_3.jpg
    scauptype_3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 67
  • scauptype_4.jpg
    scauptype_4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Looks like a well-marked Tufted to me Ray - white is all above the line of the bill, and head shape is that of a Tufty.

I agree. The head shape looks wrong.

I saw 1 Smew at Longham at 2.30pm, together with a Goosander.

There were 92 Pochard on Longham Reservoir North (small lake), which is a record. However, I didn't cover the big lake, so there could have been many more.

Looks like a well-marked Tufted to me Ray - white is all above the line of the bill, and head shape is that of a Tufty.
Hi Mark

Never seen a tufty with such a clearly defined white area before, ones I've seen have had a fading effect into surrounding feathers. I see Dominic is in agreement with you too. I am sure you're both correct, interesting bird though.

Thanks for feedback guys.

Ray

Ray
I saw your bird on Sunday and agree that it has a lot of white on the face. Sadly for me it still had a tuft, and I've seen other female tufted ducks at Longham with varying amount of white on their faces.
We're going to have to keep looking for a better scaup - it'll come one day when we're not expecting it.
Chris

Anyone go birding in SY97? This 10-km square covered Worth Matravers, Wool and Kingston. We still need more records for the Bird Atlas to improve the winter species list. Looking through the list there are a few species that ought to be in the 10-km square such as Peregrine, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Tawny Owl, Treecreeper.

A couple of nearby squares also need further help - SZ07 (Swanage/Durlston Head), SY88 (Lulworth Camp, West Holme, Wool) and SY99 (Lytchett Bay, Sherford).

If you can enter any records into www.birdatlas.net that would be a great help. You can also check back through your notebooks and add in records back to November 2007.

Many thanks
Dawn Balmer

Two redhead smew still on Longham Lake this morning. No sign of hoopoe but large (40+) flock of lapwing.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040873.jpg
    P1040873.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 65
  • P1040902.jpg
    P1040902.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 69
2.00pm today, Longham lakes, cold with a few flakes of snow falling.

The lakes must be at least 3/4 frozen over now.
At least 120 Lapwing, no Hoopoe, Meadow pipits trying to find food along the banks, 60ish Pochard, one Gooseander, 2 green woodpecker and 4 Snipe.
Also one black feathered body floating in the water.

Malc

Not good light for flight shots, so lucky to get this one

Attachments

• Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Mipit.jpg
    Mipit.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I had an email from Jackie at Two Owls Birding to say they were near to Culliford Crescent by Walditch Gardens at Canford Heath and they were there yesterday. Unfortunately can't get there myself this week so hoping they hang around for a bit. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back