• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanted - volunteers to help map black redstart territories in City London (1 Viewer)

CharlesFentiman

Black Redstarts have been a feature of the City of London since the end of the last war, when they colonised the ruins left over after the blitz. Last year a rooftop survey was organised, that showed they "were" still present with several "signing" birds. However, from our rooftop locations it was difficult to assess the whole population. This year, friends of City gardens http://www.friendsofcitygardens.org.uk, would like to call for volunteer birders to actively seek out singing black redstarts from street level, during the month of April and May. To make sure that all areas are covered, each volunteer will be assigned a specific area to search, hopefully with several people covering each area, with visits made at the volunteers convenience (other areas can also be visited). We are happy with volunteers making just one visit, or as many as they like and marking the locations of the redstarts on maps of the areas. That way we should be able to detect territories and where possible rooftop visits to confirm favoured rooftop habitats.

The findings will be published by friends of city gardens and the surveyors will be listed in acknowledgement.

If you are interested in taking part please e-mail [email protected].

As the City of London is ''my patch'' I'll certainly take part....any free coffees if one is successful and confirmed? ;)

As the City of London is ''my patch'' I'll certainly take part....any free coffees if one is successful and confirmed? ;)

Thank you Ken and by way of encouragement one free coffee per singing black redstart found! :eat:
I will be in contact with details of the survey soon!

Whoops

Black Redstarts have been a feature of the City of London since the end of the last war, when they colonised the ruins left over after the blitz. Last year a rooftop survey was organised, that showed they "were" still present with several "signing" birds. However, from our rooftop locations it was difficult to assess the whole population. This year, friends of City gardens http://www.friendsofcitygardens.org.uk, would like to call for volunteer birders to actively seek out singing black redstarts from street level, during the month of April and May. To make sure that all areas are covered, each volunteer will be assigned a specific area to search, hopefully with several people covering each area, with visits made at the volunteers convenience (other areas can also be visited). We are happy with volunteers making just one visit, or as many as they like and marking the locations of the redstarts on maps of the areas. That way we should be able to detect territories and where possible rooftop visits to confirm favoured rooftop habitats.

The findings will be published by friends of city gardens and the surveyors will be listed in acknowledgement.

If you are interested in taking part please e-mail [email protected].

Appologies to those who have been trying to e-mail my disclexia got the better of me... the e-mail address is [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back