• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Score one for the rookie! (1 Viewer)

I live in the Northern suburbs of NYC (60 miles North of the Bronx) my home property consists of 3 acres of woods, a field and a stream. My wife and I are brand new to birding so we don't know very much yet. We have recently been listening to the birds in our field and thought we heard a Red Bellied WP based on what we heard in the iBird ap of our iPads. For days I had been listening but was only able to see a Downey WP, so I wrote it off as that. Yesterday our Nikon Monarch binocs arrived and I hit the field to see what I could see. After hearing the distinctive call that I thought might be the Red Bellied WP I zeroed in on a particular tree only to see the Downey again. I figured that in my inexperience I was mistaking the call of the Downey for a Red Bellied but low and behold... a few seconds later in the same tree was the Red Bellied WP! A small victory for the new guy!

Hello Trailwalker,

As a fellow resident of New York, I have been irritated that our state bird is the Eastern bluebird, the state bird of other states, as well. I have never seen a bluebird but I have seen woodpeckers, creepers and nuthatches; all industrious birds which preserve our woodlands. I hope that our state bird may be changed, some day.
Good job on finding the red bellied woodpecker?
Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the welcome! Agreed on the boring state bird. How about the Pileated? Another one of my favorites.

Hello Trailwalker,

The pileated is too uncommon in the big city. Besides, too many might think of Woody Woodpecker when they see a picture of the pileated.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
Thanks! And yes a camera is definitely next.

You could also consider a Nikon Coolpix P520 which zooms to 1000mm.

Alexander S. White has written a guide to it. It is written in easy to understand non-digitalese English. 402 pages with a 16 page index and copious photographs and 3 Appendices. It covers just about everything. Paperback: $24.95. "Photographer's Guide To The Nikon Coolpix P520." White Knight Press. ISBN 978-1-937986-14-8.

It can save you much time and experimentation.

Bob

You could also consider a Nikon Coolpix P520 which zooms to 1000mm.

Alexander S. White has written a guide to it. It is written in easy to understand non-digitalese English. 402 pages with a 16 page index and copious photographs and 3 Appendices. It covers just about everything. Paperback: $24.95. "Photographer's Guide To The Nikon Coolpix P520." White Knight Press. ISBN 978-1-937986-14-8.

It can save you much time and experimentation.

Bob

Excellent, thanks. I will definitely look in to both. :t:

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back