• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Snow (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
At first the rising sun against the coming cloud: a rainbow arcs against the failing of the day just begun. The ragged squall of pearly grey floods the shrinking blue.

Common gulls scud the wild northerly blow, tilting in the wind and blinking whites and greys in the last light. Fieldfares head for shelter below the ridge as rain starts to sting.

From the hedge a Song thrush, quiet and calm, cryptic pattern melting it into the small deep shadows, peers out as the sky falls increasingly solid: sleet clumps to hail.

The land freezes to white: hailstones fill the hollows and overflow as the trees thrash manically.

Ashy clouds change to slate and roof the world, blue blotted and gone. The hail stops and now the snow blows from the gale's gusts, whipping more along than down, white lights flashing in the dark of the day.

And still the birds feed, tits on the feeders and a Robin, suddenly seasonal, picking at the fallen food.

A Jay, impossibly beautiful in pinks and whites, chequered crown and specks of blue, is blown into the shelter of the garden, searching for food. It watches a Magpie gulping down the food on the lawn but won't descend from the cherry.

It heads away on the gale and leaves the easy pickings to others.

Clouds tear and scud away and, briefly, ragged-edge blue skies break. The snow stops and lies icily on the shivering land.

Yeah... that was yesterday (except we didn't get the hail LOL), rather similar to this morning too!

A beautiful description of the birds you've got visiting. Thanks H2.

I like 'the Robin, suddenly seasonal' H2. Now perhaps one of those Red Grouse will wander past your window, keep those eyes peeled!

Ditto with 'the Robin, suddenly seasonal' - great phrase. I was out on Sunday filming in the frost (got some good Jay shots) but the most seasonal bird was the attached Stonechat.

Attachments

• stonechat for birdforum.jpg
    stonechat for birdforum.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 43
Exceptional, H. It was so vivid and powerful I felt sorry for the birds. I think you should consider childrens books of seasons and birds. Your writing stimulates the imagination and it would be a nice break from the usual visual stimulations kids so often get with TV, computers, etc. It would help them learn to create their own visuals, and connect with birds and nature at the same time. I'd want a few.;)
Gene says he's glad we're not out in your weather in the good ship, Peregrine...sounds scary.

Thanks, folks.

Sue, that's a thought. Hadn't considered children's books.
I must finish collating and sort out publishing options.

H

Fabulous story telling H.

Love all the description of the places that you have been, and the birds that you meet.

I feel I want to paint the scene which you have described on a card to send to someone special

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back